Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2005 5:33:45 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:37:04 AM EDT
[#1]

New Orleans is going to be rebuilt it has to be because we're coming close to elections.

Fixed it for ya.

CMOS
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:38:23 AM EDT
[#2]

I've told anyone who will listen that NOLA will become the Pearl of North America.  The historic part is intact.  The shitty part will be buldozed.  The levees will be rebuilt correctly.  Yuppies will buy there.  The poor/indigent/criminal elements will stay wherever they have refugee'd to.

If I had the money, I'd buy as much of that below-sea-level real estate as I could get my hands on.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:59:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Excellent summary. NO is so vital as a port that it must be rebuilt. At least the port part. It's strategic value to this country can not be underestimated.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:09:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Fine. Rebuild it. 20 feet higher.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:25:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've told anyone who will listen that NOLA will become the Pearl of North America.  The historic part is intact.  The shitty part will be buldozed.  The levees will be rebuilt correctly.  Yuppies will buy there.  The poor/indigent/criminal elements will stay wherever they have refugee'd to.

If I had the money, I'd buy as much of that below-sea-level real estate as I could get my hands on.

Not as long as Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, the NAACP, the Congressional Black Caucus, et. al. have anything to do with it.  New Orleans is (was) a black city governed for and by corrupt, incompetent blacks.  Funny you mention "Pearl".  Even Sheila Jackass Lee (D-TX) would have a hysterectomy over that characterization.

New Orleans cannot revive itself on the backs of affluent white families with a culture of incompetent, corrupt black leadership.  The black 'power' establishment in this country will not stand there looking dumbfounded as its 'hard won' gains are shoved aside with the political equivalent of a bulldozer.  They will do whatever they can to 'repatriate' the black refugees to their 'homeland'.  

George Will has the best take on the rebuilding of New Orleans.  He points out that four years after 9/11 there is still a hole in the ground in lower Manhattan.  Manhattan's disaster area is a helluva lot smaller than New Orleans' and it doesn't have the racial politics obstructing reconstruction.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:02:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yup.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:49:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:53:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:02:56 PM EDT
[#9]
its not like your biased or anything
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:09:26 PM EDT
[#10]
NOLA a stunning reality.
A city/port of major signifcance is a hot bed of PC and Affirmitive Action with sorry ass leadership.
Does not make sense eh? LA needs to get with the pace. Not a very progressive area.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:21:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow.  Sounds like some people here have an overinflated idea of how important NO is.

Back in the day when river traffic was so important, it WAS important.

Nowadays its just another run down harbor that can be contracted out to any other harbors.

Hell, it could get washed away by a huge storm surge and all the commercial traffic that used to go there would be readily accepted by other ports without much problem.....oh wait..that already happened.

The part about it being rebuilt due to political reasons is absolutly true.

Just look for the next up and comming presidential hopefulls to start trying to get their names on the map as big supporters of NO and the re-build.

Chris

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:23:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

And in 25 years it'll be below sea level again.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:16:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Wow.  Sounds like some people here have an overinflated idea of how important NO is.

Nowadays its just another run down harbor that can be contracted out to any other harbors.

Hell, it could get washed away by a huge storm surge and all the commercial traffic that used to go there would be readily accepted by other ports without much problem.....oh wait..that already happened.

Chris

I don't see how the millions of tons of barged grain that flows south on the Mississippi downstream of Cairo, IL gets diverted to another harbor.  A massive port and transloading facilities near the mouth of the Mississippi is extremely vital to the economy of America's farmbelt.  The industrial/transportation infrastructure in south Louisiana must be restored ASAP or else we will be paying for it in higher food prices.

As much as I want to see that infrastructure restored, I don't want to see BILLIONS of tax dollars pissed away by rebuilding neighborhoods in a flood plain.  I'm voting for new communities to be built on higher ground and mass transit to move the workers into the industrial and commercial districts.  At least when the next hurricane comes, and it will, we won't see the loss of life and anarchy we saw this time.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:26:40 PM EDT
[#15]
When Jesusland is founded, it will be our chief port.

BTW Eric, tofu is made from soybeans, where do you think those come from?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:30:05 PM EDT
[#16]
The Missisippi as a river port is important, but you don't really need New Orleans for that. The shipping ports run along a few hundred miles from the Mississippi river mouth and New Orleans doesn't have much to do with keeping them going. Modern ports don't employ that many people and don't need big warehouses (except for bulk cargo). Most of New Orleans is employed by the entertainmet and tourist industry. You could easily put up a few well-protected docks with some rail lines running to them, and keep the whole thing going with a few thousand people.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:33:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Unfortunately the Mayor and other Dems will do everything possible to bring their constituents back.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:35:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

As others have pointed out, the only way the port of NO will be unimportant is if you reroute the Mississippi river somewhere else.

But what do I know? I've only been involved with the port of Houston for the last seven years, which is the 2nd largest port in this country, and the 8th largest in the world - and it cannot replace the port of NO.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:23:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:18:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Some folks just understand how important New Orleans is to America.

Eric, I respect you and your opinions normally carry allot of weight, but in this case you are wrong.

Well, settle down Mark Twain, the River today is as important as it ever was!

Only because its cheaper.

80% of all American grain floats down the Mississippi on barges.

Only because its cheaper.  It dosn't have to, it is just the most viable alternative at this time.

It was estimated that during the first 4 days of the closing of the Port of New Orleans, Midwestern Farmers lost approximately 2 Billion dollars in lost sales.

Don't confuse the temporary shutdown of ALL commerce with the permanent loss of NO.  After the hurricane went through, EVERYTHING stopped, regardless if it was still working or not because of all of the other damage and the loss of employees, power, etc.

Get all this business up and working again, past the short term temp shutdown, and the economy will survive, adapt, and overcome past the loss of the NO port.

The short term effects of anything of this nature are always the harshest, regardless of how much actual damage is done and thats simply because things tend to shut down for a period of time until people are sure that things can be picked up again, re-directed, or worked in a different manner as prescribed by the given circumstances.

NO can go and we would adapt quite well to its loss in short order.

Pretty damn important to the Midwestern Farmers.
Pretty damn important to anyone who eats their products, as well.
Of course, if you'd rather stick to your diet of tofu, be my guest!

As I said, this effect is from the short term shut down of services caused by the hurricane, not by the loss of NO.  Don't forget that we have planes, trains, and automobiles as well.  If NO goes tits up, the grain will still be moved, just to different places and shipped out from there.

Sorry, but that is pure idiocy!
There are no other ports that could compete with New Orleans.
You know why?

I gotta call bullshit on this.  I know that there are many ports that can handle anything that the port of NO can along with their current traffic and without a hiccup to boot.  Port of NO is not unique by any stretch of the imagination.  It just has geology going for it at the current time, but there is nothing that happens at the port of NO that can't be done anywhere else.

Uh, no, it most certainly did not!
What ports began accepting barges of grain and other products from the Mississippi River Valley?

Which ports need to be accepting barges?  I would bet you money that the lagging trucking industry has already stepped up to pick up the excess as well as the rail system.  The barge system isn't irreplaceable.

Did you even listen to the President's speech last evening?

You mean did I watch the prez hand the keys to the hardworking taxpayers govt. wallet to the "poor and disadvantaged" who are more than willing to plunder the public largess without paying a cent of taxes towards the same ends their entire lives simply so the prez can pander to the extreme left race-baiters and uber-liberals under the guise of "Compassionate conservatism"?

Having a robust economy IS good politics.
No New Orleans, No robust economy!

BS.  NO isn't that important that its loss will mean the entire US economy will suffer in the long term.  This is where you blur the lines between fantasy and reality.

Fantasy: NO is important and its loss means that the entire US economy will suffer.

Reality: We have proven time and time again that where there is a will, there is a way and even if NO is flooded again and left that way until every waterlogged building turns to mud, we WILL find an alternate method of conducting business and getting the product out, the jobs started, the economy upright and working hot straight and normal in less than a year or two because thats the way we are.  Yes we have history, but we also have an overriding desire to make things work and be successfull that manifests itself in the very real aspect of capitalism.

NO, like anything else is expendable.  We will get over it, get past it, rebuild somewhere else if necessary, divert goods, people, or services to other areas more than capable of handling the extra work, and we will drive on and be just fine.   NO can go the way of the do-do and eventually all that will be remembered of it will be that curious custome that we heard of in the before-times called 'Mardi Gras'.

Louisiana and New Orleans just got a whole lot 'Redder'!

President Bush carried Louisiana by 57% to 43% over Kerry.

In 2008, the Republican Presidential Candidate will likely break 60%!

How about in your State?

Eric The(Geopolitical)Hun  

So what you're telling me is that a state that voted in a democrate for gov, and its largest city has a retard..er...democrat for mayor, that just got buttfucked on national television by a hurricane and who allot of its residents feel screwed over by the percieved slight of the fed govt in responding to the disaster area, is somehow going to vote republican?  

Based on what?  Old stats and polls?  Frankly, with the finger pointing already starting, this is gonna get allot uglier before it gets better and you can bet that no single republican associated with the current administration is going to come out of this without a few shitstains on their ties that will be fully used against them come election time.  Honestly, things ain't looking good for the repubs right now.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:35:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:19:48 AM EDT
[#23]
The port of LA moves more goods than any NOLA port.

www.portoflosangeles.org/
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:26:01 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?

The parts that really matter never got an inch of water!

Then they require no "rebuilding" at all. So what is the money being spent on?  Oh yeah, welfare trash.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:00:44 AM EDT
[#25]
The major thing that hasn't been said is the Old Man River don't like sleeping in his current bed. The Atchafalaya River bed is deeper and there was only about a 600 yards separating the Mississippi and the Atchafalaya River when I went by there the last time. The Corp of Engineers has been fighting that for years at the Morganza Spillway area and it is only a matter of time before the Mississippi River changes back to its former course.

They've known this for as long as they have known that a Cat4 hurricane was going to hit NOLA with about the same level of preparedness. Morgan City is going to be history when this shift occurs. Without the barge traffic down the Mississippi to NOLA, a lot of the port capacity would be useless.

You heard it here first.

wganz

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:21:20 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, settle down Mark Twain, the River today is as important as it ever was!

Only because its cheaper.

80% of all American grain floats down the Mississippi on barges.

Only because its cheaper.  It dosn't have to, it is just the most viable alternative at this time.

Americans like two things:  cheap gasoline and inexpensive food.  That's why food will always travel the most economical route.  Unlike gasoline, conservation of food is difficult to sell to the public.  Over time, a major rerouting of grain's trip to market will cost the nation far more in food price and fuel usage than what it will cost to restore the port of New Orleans.  The ROI gets even better if the ghetto in New Orleans is NOT restored.  But that's another calculation!  
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:25:43 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
The port of LA moves more goods than any NOLA port.

www.portoflosangeles.org/

The Los Angeles port commission could make money by selling the naming rights. 'Port Wal-Mart'.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top