Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2001 4:15:58 PM EDT
Check out the ad on page 17 of August's American Rifleman!!! YUCK!

Official Colt Collectible M16A2 (semi-auto, H-BAR, no mussel device) Armed Forces Commemorative rifle.  It's NICKEL plated.  NICKEL!!!!  ON AN AR15!!!! YUCK!!!! All for the great price of $3,195.

Read the blurb about how they are going to replace the M16A2 with the OCIR ("Star Wars Trooper") that fires caseless ammo and will no longer require traditional marksmanship training.

Some things just shouldn't be done.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#1]
and whats even more F*CKED is itsa post ban they could have atleasdt added a brake that looks like a bird cage and a netured bayonet lug
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 4:59:33 PM EDT
[#2]
What's a mussel device?? Some sort of shellfish attatchment?[:D]
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 5:04:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Caseless ammo???  

Not going to happen.  HK tried this with some success in the G11, but the US didn't buy it.  I still think there were inherent problems with caseless ammo, such as cook-offs since there is no case to extract, thus no way to dissipate all that excess heat.  If anyone has ever caught a spent case down the back of their shirt, you know what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 5:05:31 PM EDT
[#4]
It sure was pretty wasn't it?
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 5:13:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

She's purrty ahright...[;D]

However, you and I along with others have the LEGP, which by and far is the sweetest thing!!!

Don't you agree???
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 5:28:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I still think there were inherent problems with caseless ammo
View Quote

Caseless has been around since at least the early '70s.  One problem was/is hygroscopicity which severely limits service life.

Eddie
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 6:34:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

She's purrty ahright...[;D]

However, you and I along with others have the LEGP, which by and far is the sweetest thing!!!

Don't you agree???
View Quote

and i can shoot a LEGP withiout it falling 90% in price
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 7:00:59 PM EDT
[#8]
So, who here is willing to blow $3,000 on that
wall hanger?
Would any of you even consider it?
Not Me, that's for sure.
$3 grand aside, it's still too damn ugly.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 7:28:47 PM EDT
[#9]
there must be some sort of a mistake. The last I heard the U.S. military was supposed to replace the M16A2 with the OICW which is a 5.56mm rifle that can fire semi auto or a 2 round burst. a 25mm magazine fed "grenade launcher" on top operates with the same trigger as the rifle with a switch to select witch weapon to fire. and at the very top is a fancy combination day/night scope and laser range finder. there were also special controls that could set the fuse in the 25mm rounds to burst in mid air, blow on impact or penetrate material before detonation. It was also supposed to have Iron sights.

[url]http://www.fas.org//man/dod-101/sys/land/oicw.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 1:09:40 AM EDT
[#10]
At least the AR-15 you’re talking about was made by Colt.  I’ve seen prior commemoratives, all plated and engraved and such, where the base gun was the cheapest piece of foreign junk the seller could find!!

I don’t mean to nitpick, but the Volcanic Repeating Arms Company marketed handguns and rifles using caseless ammunition in the 1850’s!  This company later became Winchester.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 1:18:09 AM EDT
[#11]
yes its almost as gaudy as the gold plated 1911s they sell.all those comemritives are just a waiste of money.i see the gold plated comemritive winchester 94 (they made them for every occasion)sell for 300 buck in like new,never fired condition.as a matter a fact my wife got a comemritive winchester 94(texas centenial ) for 300 bucks.man its a beauty and was nevver fired till she bought it.these things sell for like 1800 bucks new.and depreciate faster than a new chevrolete.but if you wanrt somthing different you can buy used for as much as the regular gun costs
back to that colt .no thank you .
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 4:46:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Why are they offering a US Navy commemorative when the USN never adopted the M16? Last I knew the M14 was the navy's issued rifle. They should be offering USN commemorative M14s (M1As, really), with a forged Smith receiver and USGI parts assembled on it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 5:16:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Damn....The PIMP market must be bigger than I thought !

Lets call it the "Colt Velvet Jones Special"
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 8:37:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Colt used to have a nickel plated (Coltguard) SP-1 as part of their line up.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 8:40:37 AM EDT
[#15]
...If anyone has ever caught a spent case down the back of their shirt, you know what I'm talking about.
View Quote

Dude, this will scare the hell out of you!!

i was half way through a 20 round mag and a case laded on my collar. I flinched no realizing exactly what it was and the bitch slid down my back.  OMG!!

Let me tell you this is where good safety
training comes in.  I didn't even realize my finger had come to rest on the receiver (outside the trigger well) until after i has done trying to untuck my shirt and get the bitch out!!  

Off topic, but boy something like that stick with you.

Zaz

•edit cus im dum
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top