Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2005 1:59:56 AM EDT
Has anyone here gone through hypnosis to help them quit smoking? I have a close friend who is thinking of trying this. It is "supposed" to cure you for life.

She smoked for about 15 years then quit for about three and just started back in Feb. of this year.
The way she quit last time was just set them down and never looked back. I dont know if it will be that easy for her now.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:14:14 AM EDT
[#1]
It's apparently rather successful, however, the average percentage for abstinence is around 20 to 35 long term.    It's nothing like people think either.  Also, some people are not hypnotizable.  People who are rigid and compulsive, respond very poorly to it, if at all.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:15:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I've never done Hypnosis, so count this as a tag for info.

I quit 14 days ago with the patch.

I can't believe there is a shortcut, I think you HAVE to suffer.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:01:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Sure have!
It worked not too bad.
I cut down from 2 packs to 1 pack a day.
Just not going to pay for another session.
If you believe it will work and Liston to the tape often and make the commitment it will work.

___________________________________________________________________________________
Welcome to the Low Dow Broke A$$ Show.
Murphy’s law applies to everyone, just more to me!!!
Semper Fi!! To all my brothers in the AO!!!!ZIP
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:59:36 AM EDT
[#4]
So apparently it is more to it than it looks . How much was it?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:11:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I knew a nurse who did it and thought it worked.

I had to disagree. She only got hypnotized 5 times I think.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:50:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Just about all modes of treatment for drug addiction, for just about all drugs, have about a five percent "success" rate per year. "Success" meaning abstinence. The only real exception is drug substitution -- taking another drug, or another form of the drug (such as nicotine patches), for the original drug.

The key to hypnosis is simply believing that it is going to work for you. But, of course, if you believe it is going to work, why do you need to be hypnotized? Success presumes a certain amount of what would be called gullibility in any other setting.

Probably can't hurt -- except the wallet if someone is paying for it.

Just FYI, heroin addicts commonly report that it is tougher to kick tobacco than it is to kick heroin -- which is why heroin recovery programs don't try to get their clients off of tobacco, even though the tobacco is about 100 times as likely to wind up killing them. The reason it is tougher to kick is because the cravings last longer.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:53:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Just FYI, heroin addicts commonly report that it is tougher to kick tobacco than it is to kick heroin -- which is why heroin recovery programs don't try to get their clients off of tobacco, even though the tobacco is about 100 times as likely to wind up killing them. The reason it is tougher to kick is because the cravings last longer.

very interesting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top