Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2005 5:52:10 PM EDT
Background: I had entered an online contest from a well-known Canadian video card company last year (or quite a while back). Well apparently a few weeks ago I received an e-mail stating I had won something and needed to sign a affidavit of eligibility. It did not state what I won though. Basically the affidavit signs away any liability to them  and lets them publish my name or whatever in connection as a winner of the contest.

Well this 3 page legalese filled document wanted to know my Soc Sec #, a witness signature, and be stamped by a Notary Public, in addition to my personal info. It also makes you requires a response within 2 weeks to be eligible.

I responded with an e-mail of why the heck they needed my SSN. "11" days later I get a response that a SSN was needed to clear customs! Of course, now I only had 4 days to respond and still be eligible.

Important: none of this info was stated as required in the original contest rules, which I looked up. The original rules only said you had to sign up with a vaild e-mail address and "sign" an affidavit of eligibility.

So I signed the affidavit and left everything like the SSN (wrote "NUNYA"), notary public blank, witness, etc. I also states, according to the original published contest rules, I only had to sign an affidavit (which I did) and send it back by e-mail within the 15 days (again which I did).

To sum up matters: I told them that their excuse (customs) for requiring a SSN was BS (especially for what could be a $2 t-shirt) and if they wanted public notary sigs and stuff, it would be at their expense. Also if they persisted in not following their own published contest requirements, I would ensure that alot of their customers heard about it. I probably wouldn't have done crap (it's not like it costed me anything), but I was mad at the time.

I received this today:

Hello,

This is to inform you that your release form will be accepted and your prize will be shipped.

Thank you,

VICTORY!!!  I probably got a stupid t-shirt (hopefully got a Video card), but all they got was my name and address.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top