User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/15/2005 3:56:57 PM EDT
Anyone live there? What to expect?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't go.  Was born there lived there up until 3 months ago. Will never go back unless to visit relatives. People for the most part suck. School system for my kids sucks. No jobs. Home costs are unbeleivable.

Other than that it is a pretty nice place.  

I left for Texas and never looked back.

ETA: I almost forgot dodging hurricanes every year got really old.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:19:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Don't go.  Was born there lived there up until 3 months ago. Will never go back unless to visit relatives. People for the most part suck. School system for my kids sucks. No jobs. Home costs are unbeleivable.

ETA: I almost forgot dodging hurricanes every year got really old.

I live in Miami. It depends where you go to live. It's not that bad.

Stick to the southwest area of miami where it is mostly white / hispanic. Avoid Opa-Locka unless you are packing heat. Avoid the poorer areas of miami. And learn spanish or you wont know what the guy next to you is cursing about.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:01:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Is Bayside a good area? Where Hard Rock Cafe is.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:02:58 PM EDT
[#4]
You'll stand a better chance of finding someone who speaks English on Pluto than in the Miami airport.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I hope you like hurricanes.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:07:29 PM EDT
[#6]
My wife is from the Third World and after visiting Miami for a job interview a few years ago said Miami was too Third World for her.  Expect really lousy customer service for one thing.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:14:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Go to Ft. Lauderdale. Lived here all my life, excellent gun laws, beautiful women in every direction for every taste, lots of night life, good entertainment, bad public schools, asshole people, asshole drivers (keep in mind New Yorkers hibernate here and reproduce here as well during the winter), hot summers, comfortable "winters", hurricanes, loads of lightning, very strong police forces and sheriff's offices.

Oh yea, NO STATE TAX, CLASS III FRIENDLY, AMAZING CCW PERMIT AND HIGH YIELD ON YOUR MORTGAGE.

If you can play the game, come on down!

ETA on the asshole drivers: A lot of rice burners and crotch rockets weaving in and out of our already jam packed highways.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:16:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Miami is Teh Suck.  Forget trying to communicate with anyone in english.  You will need to learn spanish just to be able to read the street signs.  Not to mention Jamaican.  The wetbacks there truly are coming from cuba and jamaica and the puerto rican population is so high that it is practically taking over.  There are 3 major areas.  Little Puerto Rico, Little Jamaica and little Havana.  There are a few small pockets of nice neighborhoods there, however the cost of living is so rediculously high.  You pay for a slum tenement there what you would pay for a nice middle class home in most of the country.  You dodge hurricanes and tourists all the time, the roads suck and traffic is a bitc*.  Don't plan on having a lawn.  You will have a sand pile with a couple of non bearing palm trees.  If you are lucky enough to have coconut palms, you have to be careful of falling coconuts.  I wouldn't allow a dog to live there if I could prevent it.  

Other than that, it is a great place to visit......
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:28:46 PM EDT
[#9]
How are things up around Daytona Beach and Tomoka State Park these days? I haven't been there in many years.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:42:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Miami's fine with me (although I'd rather be living in Nevada....sigh)  As mentioned above, Great Gun Laws (new Castle Doctrine law on Oct 1st), Excellent CCW.  SFDCC (South Fla Defensive Carbine Club) for rifle and pistol shooting in defensive scenarios.  3-4 Hot, rainy months, the rest are simply the best weather in the nation.  No A/C (or heating) needed from October to April.  

No SNOW!!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Losing a good friend (and ultimate hottie) to it on October 4th.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:50:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, I wish I had posted this topic before I went there. Here is what happened:

Wife and I bought a time share sampler. One of the places we could go was Miami. So, several months ago wife wanted to go. She likes the Miami vice series scenary.

We arrived Monday night at about 2300 hrs and checked in. Immigrant working the desk said it was valet parking only. I told him I was unaware and did not want anyone driving my car. He said I could park out in the street where I had to feed a meter. The neighborhood was ok, but just down the road were slums. So, finally after he saw I was not going to budge, he said I could park up on the side where they were not responsible.

I felt he was trying to extort me for a valet fee and my opinion of him went down from there. Next day wife wanted to ride around and find the malls. We drove around without getting a map and boy was that a mistake. We went down A1A and wound up in little haiti. Looked like footage from Somalia. That night we got a map. Whole city for the most part is POS. People suck, food sucks, streets suck. Everywhere you went, there was a construction area. Alot of building going on. Lots of street traffic. Parking sucked, driving sucked, panhandlers are everywhere.

What got us back early:

Well, we got a call early one morning to meet with a rep there about upgrading to another plan. They said if we sat through the meeting, we could get either $150 or a free night out. I took the cash. Later that day, we drove over to the west side and went to the mall there. When we came back, there were about 4 hispanics at the front desk who worked there. Two were valet guys and the others were desk folks. They asked me where I parked. I told the them where I had been parking, on the side next to the building in the parking places.

They said that since I was not an owner, I had to pay for the valet parking. I said no, I was told by several folks I could park where I was and then stepped into the elevator. The valet guy hurried over and blocked the elevator door from closing and "demanded" my car key. I told him no. He persisted. I told him no and to let the door close, I am going to my room. Then the desk girl comes over and backs up the valet guy.

The hotel was about 20% occupied so they were probably hurting for valet money. I have stuff in my car that I want to keep. I also do not want some illegal immigrant to drive my car who probably has no driver's License to begin with.

I told them, after they did not back off the issue, that I was not going to be extorted and was checking out. We were to be there until Saturday. They then kind of backed down and looked at each other like they had made a mistake. So, I then pack my shit ,told the wife to do the same, then went to the manager to do a walk through the condo to make sure we did not take anything. He was a immigrant too and acted as if I was bothering him but did apologize. The whole time, the desk jockeys were speaking spanish about my wife and I. The manager did try to satisfy the parking deal, but I told him, I was not going to stay somewhere like this and have my room looted while I was out after having a beef with them.

So, last night I drove non stop from Miami to central Alabama. I am glad to be home. I stopped hearing spanish somewhere around Orlando. A woman where I gassed up actually was speaking English.

Never will I go back. I thought of it as what the U.S. will look like sometime in the near future.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:52:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Don't go.  Will never go back unless to visit relatives. School system for my kids sucks. No jobs. Home costs are unbeleivable.

I almost forgot dodging hurricanes every year got really old.

I lived there from 1996 until last year. Everything above is spot-on.

If it weren't for the fact my children live there, I'd not set foot in that shithole ever again.

Oh, BTW, I'm CUBAN, so that will give you some idea of just how bad it is.

It was one of the main causes for my divorce. I wanted to leave, she didn't. We both got what we wanted, and the children got screwed out of their dad.

Lord, have mercy on my soul.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:20:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
We drove around without getting a map and boy was that a mistake. We went down A1A and wound up in little haiti. Looked like footage from Somalia. That night we got a map. Whole city for the most part is POS. People suck, food sucks, streets suck. Everywhere you went, there was a construction area. Alot of building going on. Lots of street traffic. Parking sucked, driving sucked, panhandlers are everywhere.

I thought of it as what the U.S. will look like sometime in the near future.

+1!  We tried to follow the signs with the sun on it, but all of a sudden they disappeared.  Next thing you know we are lost in little havanna.  I though that was gonna be how it ends.  Basically just tried not to stop for anything.  Lights, signs, cars, whatever-just floor it.  Got outta there and went back to Lauderdale.  I would say, dont go any further south than Lauderdale.  And go heavy, or go home.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#15]
A real nice  SHIT-HOLE

myit
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:39:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't own enough guns to go to Miami.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:43:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Well, I wish I had posted this topic before I went there. Here is what happened:

Wife and I bought a time share sampler. One of the places we could go was Miami. So, several months ago wife wanted to go. She likes the Miami vice series scenary.

We arrived Monday night at about 2300 hrs and checked in. Immigrant working the desk said it was valet parking only. I told him I was unaware and did not want anyone driving my car. He said I could park out in the street where I had to feed a meter. The neighborhood was ok, but just down the road were slums. So, finally after he saw I was not going to budge, he said I could park up on the side where they were not responsible.

I felt he was trying to extort me for a valet fee and my opinion of him went down from there. Next day wife wanted to ride around and find the malls. We drove around without getting a map and boy was that a mistake. We went down A1A and wound up in little haiti. Looked like footage from Somalia. That night we got a map. Whole city for the most part is POS. People suck, food sucks, streets suck. Everywhere you went, there was a construction area. Alot of building going on. Lots of street traffic. Parking sucked, driving sucked, panhandlers are everywhere.

What got us back early:

Well, we got a call early one morning to meet with a rep there about upgrading to another plan. They said if we sat through the meeting, we could get either $150 or a free night out. I took the cash. Later that day, we drove over to the west side and went to the mall there. When we came back, there were about 4 hispanics at the front desk who worked there. Two were valet guys and the others were desk folks. They asked me where I parked. I told the them where I had been parking, on the side next to the building in the parking places.

They said that since I was not an owner, I had to pay for the valet parking. I said no, I was told by several folks I could park where I was and then stepped into the elevator. The valet guy hurried over and blocked the elevator door from closing and "demanded" my car key. I told him no. He persisted. I told him no and to let the door close, I am going to my room. Then the desk girl comes over and backs up the valet guy.

The hotel was about 20% occupied so they were probably hurting for valet money. I have stuff in my car that I want to keep. I also do not want some illegal immigrant to drive my car who probably has no driver's License to begin with.

I told them, after they did not back off the issue, that I was not going to be extorted and was checking out. We were to be there until Saturday. They then kind of backed down and looked at each other like they had made a mistake. So, I then pack my shit ,told the wife to do the same, then went to the manager to do a walk through the condo to make sure we did not take anything. He was a immigrant too and acted as if I was bothering him but did apologize. The whole time, the desk jockeys were speaking spanish about my wife and I. The manager did try to satisfy the parking deal, but I told him, I was not going to stay somewhere like this and have my room looted while I was out after having a beef with them.

So, last night I drove non stop from Miami to central Alabama. I am glad to be home. I stopped hearing spanish somewhere around Orlando. A woman where I gassed up actually was speaking English.

Never will I go back. I thought of it as what the U.S. will look like sometime in the near future.

Wanna hear the scary part? You were in the GOOD area.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:49:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Are we talking Miami or Miami Beach? I have a condo in Miami Beach and all the Latinos I meet are generally freindly and very well bred. They are quite different than the Hispanics here in Colorado where I live. I don't understand why all you guys hate Miami (Beach) so much. I guess maybe we are just talking about different areas because I hardly ever see signs that are in Spanish. In fact most the the Latinos I meet are well educated and are at ease speaking English or Spanish. Many are a class act and I am honored to even be in their company. Man, I am just a regular white guy too. I could never complement any of the Hispanics around Denver like Latinos in Miami. Totally different culture. I even have to refer to the ones in Miami as Latino and the ones in Denver as Hispanics since they act so different. Does this make me a bigot? I don't think so.

m4ortunate
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:02:20 PM EDT
[#19]
dbl
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:03:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Miami is Teh Suck.  Forget trying to communicate with anyone in english.  You will need to learn spanish just to be able to read the street signs.  Not to mention Jamaican.  

Dude Jamaicans speak English. Your ignorance is showing. Jamaicans are probably the most succesful imigrants to come into America. Heck eve the HAtians work hrader then most of the locals.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:05:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Play GTA:Vice City.  Unlock the second island that has little Haiti and little Havana.  Look around.  They based the game on Miami, and many of the places in the game look similar to the real thing, buildings, gangs, etc.  A few nice areas, a lot of bad areas.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:06:13 PM EDT
[#22]
I was TDY down at Homestead last year, we pulled into a Wendy's.   As we ordered, the teller says " You guys obviously are not from around here, as you speak English".

I found out that people aren't big tippers down there,  we left a generous tip at an excellent Cuban resturaunt.   The next day we went back again and the same waitress treated us like gold, good lord the food was good too.  As we left another generous tip, she came over with the owner (her dad) and personally thanked us for our generosity, she said many don't tip at all.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:33:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Miami is Teh Suck.  Forget trying to communicate with anyone in english.  You will need to learn spanish just to be able to read the street signs.  Not to mention Jamaican.  

Dude Jamaicans speak English. Your ignorance is showing. Jamaicans are probably the most succesful imigrants to come into America. Heck eve the HAtians work hrader then most of the locals.

Sorry dude....But you seem to be forgetting quite a bit here.  I have been all over Miami (And Miami Beach) and tend to arrive late at night.  I see all the Jamaicans hanging out on the streets selling crack of all types.  Also, the accent of Jamaican English is in some cases quite bad.  Ay Mon?  I won't deny that there are hard working immigrants of all types in the area.  But I will say that a certain percentage of any population, native or immigrant, is comprised of a criminal element.  With the amount of "poverty" areas in and around Miami, that criminal element percentage becomes higher.  It is practically impossible to park a truck anywhere in Miami without having hookers and drug dealers knocking on your door all night.  The amount of stolen cargo in the Miami area is among the highest rate in the nation.  And by the way? have you never heard of Jamaican Posse's?  My remarks are actually directed to the city itself.  Not the origin of any of the residents.  Miami is a cesspool.  Period, end of story, that is all there is to it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:57:48 PM EDT
[#24]
We spent two days there last year.  H-O-T topless chicks on South Beach.  Hardly any hippos.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:58:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
We spent two days there last year.  H-O-T topless chicks on South Beach.  Hardly any hippos.

Cross the beach and enter the war zone....
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:11:37 PM EDT
[#26]
I realized that they have no middle class. You are either super rich, or a poor ass.

The city is not setup that well either. There are multi million dollar condos right next to a shithole apartment.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:15:30 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Good choice
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:18:07 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I realized that they have no middle class. You are either super rich, or a poor ass.

The city is not setup that well either. There are multi million dollar condos right next to a shithole apartment.

Welcome to South Florida.

This is what happens when ghetto creeps up on pre existing afluent neighborhoods.

In Broward you can be on Los Olas (an area as exclusive as Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills) and literally WALK a few blocks and buy crack.

You can have a house on Bayview Drive (where you would be hard pressed to find one under 7 figures) and you can go 4 blocks west and find streetwalking crack whores and dealers.

And Miami is even worse.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:21:21 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is what happens when ghetto creeps up on pre existing afluent neighborhoods.

In Broward you can be on Los Olas (an area as exclusive as Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills) and literally WALK a few blocks and buy crack.

You can have a house on Bayview Drive (where you would be hard pressed to find one under 7 figures) and you can go 4 blocks west and find streetwalking crack whores and dealers.

And Miami is even worse.

Amen.

Go down to Coconut Grove. Hyper-trendy theater/mall/restaurant complex which is THE PLACE to hang out. We're talking Gucci, Rolex, etc.

Thing is, it's a diamond in a sea of putrid shit. To get to it you have to drive through areas that make New Orleans look like Beverly Hills.

Same thing in Coral Gables. Cross US1 and BAM! Welcome to Beirut.

I hate that fucking place.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:28:17 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And Miami is even worse.

Amen.

Go down to Coconut Grove. Hyper-trendy theater/mall/restaurant complex which is THE PLACE to hang out. We're talking Gucci, Rolex, etc.

Thing is, it's a diamond in a sea of putrid shit. To get to it you have to drive through areas that make New Orleans look like Beverly Hills.

Same thing in Coral Gables. Cross US1 and BAM! Welcome to Beirut.

I hate that fucking place.

What amazes me is people who shell out seven figures to live in a Condo in those areas.

Million bucks to have essentially the same square footage as a average apartment in what is essentially a target rich environment surrounded by PROJECTS.

It's like paying a million bucks to live in a 6 block by 6 block Jewish settlement in the middle of downtown Damascus Syria. It's just fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:29:14 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And Miami is even worse.

I watched some local tv while I was there. The local government broadcasts their meetings. I saw a program where the commission board were listening to a development committee chairman. He was trying to get a new Marlin baseball stadium funded. This entailed buying up real estate and displacing alot of poor folks. $600 plus million was the figure for building the stadium and land.

Most of the board members thought of it as "Bad Government".

I am glad I experienced this trip. It let me realize how good we have it here in rural Alabama.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:30:52 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
It's just fucking stupid.

Amen, brother. Un-friggin-believable.

And the scary thing is, the prices keep going up, and people keep buying them. I don't get it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:33:43 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And Miami is even worse.

I watched some local tv while I was there. The local government broadcasts their meetings. I saw a program where the commission board were listening to a development committee chairman. He was trying to get a new Marlin baseball stadium funded. This entailed buying up real estate and displacing alot of poor folks. $600 plus million was the figure for building the stadium and land.

Most of the board members thought of it as "Bad Government".

I am glad I experienced this trip. It let me realize how good we have it here in rural Alabama.

The sad part is not more than 30 years ago Miami was one of the coolests cities on the planet.

Was laid back with a mostly relaxed Key West kinda atmosphere and great food.

The big change came in 1980 with the Mariel Boat Lift. Another brilliant Jimmy Carter decision. It got progressively worse from there.

It is so bad NOW most yearn for the glory days of the early 1980s in Miami.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:37:37 PM EDT
[#34]
I spent the summers of 1982 and 1983 in Miami. Best summers ever. It's what I had in mind when I moved there in 1996.

Oops.

Then I added insult to injury by marrying the wrong woman and having two kids with her. So now I'm anchored to the fucking place until 2019, unless God decides to off the ex, in which case I'll have the girls moved out of that shithole before their mother's body has gone cold.

Sigh....
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:52:28 PM EDT
[#35]
I live in Miami, presently working on a transfer to a rural setting, besides Pop's where I shoot, my job at Calcutta Intl. (MIA) my 2 condos which have quintupled in value over 18 years, my days here in MIA are numbered. Contrary to previous posts there are a lot of good people here of all nationalities, lots of illegal aliens, mostly Brazil, Colombia, Peru all working for the most part keeping salaries of legals down. Property fuggeaboutit unless you got money to burn, I only came down for the job and the chance to own property 19 years ago. I lived my entire life in NYC luxury style apartments under rent control. A large Cuban community in the SW, successful, for the large part a reason for skyrocketing home values. The salary vs. homeowning does not match I would not be able to afford to live here now if I hadda buy a house or condo now....
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:53:54 PM EDT
[#36]
You gotta admit, when you come back to where you parked you car and it's still there, you are soooo

happy!

You will eventually have your car broken into/stolen one day.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:03:22 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
You gotta admit, when you come back to where you parked you car and it's still there, you are soooo

happy!

You will eventually have your car broken into/stolen one day.

Yeah, I was relieved everytime I came back to the car.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:45:54 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry dude....But you seem to be forgetting quite a bit here.  I have been all over Miami (And Miami Beach) and tend to arrive late at night.  I see all the Jamaicans hanging out on the streets selling crack of all types.  Also, the accent of Jamaican English is in some cases quite bad.  Ay Mon?  I won't deny that there are hard working immigrants of all types in the area.  But I will say that a certain percentage of any population, native or immigrant, is comprised of a criminal element.  With the amount of "poverty" areas in and around Miami, that criminal element percentage becomes higher.  It is practically impossible to park a truck anywhere in Miami without having hookers and drug dealers knocking on your door all night.  The amount of stolen cargo in the Miami area is among the highest rate in the nation.  And by the way? have you never heard of Jamaican Posse's?  My remarks are actually directed to the city itself.  Not the origin of any of the residents.  Miami is a cesspool.  Period, end of story, that is all there is to it.

Just where the hell did you park your truck.
North of downtown Miami??
Thats the bad part of Miami.
South is fine.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:12:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Anyone else?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:32:22 AM EDT
[#40]
I moved to Ft. Lauderdale in 95'.  I loved it as I was 21 at the time and the partying was crazy.  Between West Palm Beach, South Beach, Coconut Groove, and Lauderdale, the endless flow of parties and chicks was great.

I moved back to NY in 2000 and stayed in NY until 2004 when I thought that I missed living in Florida.  In the fall of 04', I made the biggest mistake of my life.  I moved back down there.  Othere than the nice weather in the winters, and the ocean ( if you are a beach type, which I'm not), the place really has nothing to offer.

If you idea of the good life is high rise buildings, shopping malls, and dining out, that You'll love it.

Me, I'll be selling my condo I paid 76K for and taking my money and going west to Colorado.

I personally think that NY( Long Island) is far better than that place.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:53:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Shootemup this is not directed at you, its that you just happene to be the last post before mine.

The worst thing about South Florida is the friggin New Yorkers who always talk about how great NY is and drive like crap and bring their Liberal Dummycrat politics with them.

I understand not all are like that, the above poster is probably not, I dont know. But for the most part, its the Long Island 3 Piece wearing (tank top, black socks, and shorts) ginzos that will drive ya crazy.

Yes Miami has some crappy areas, but is this a surprise? Does ne really have to ask? Heck any large city is going to be 80% craphole with a few nice spots tossed in here and there.

I live in a  suburb north of Miami and I love it. Scuba diving anytime I want to go. Nice and warm (I abhor the cold). Would I live in Miami? no. I wont live in any large population center like that for the predictable reasons you will find in ANY large city.  Aventura is about as close as I would ever consider moving to Miami.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:57:52 AM EDT
[#42]
It's a weird combination of old NY/NJ Jews, hispanic illegal aliens, and ghettos. But everything is still expensive for some reason. The touristy areas are nice to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:58:14 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Shootemup this is not directed at you, its that you just happene to be the last post before mine.

The worst thing about South Florida is the friggin New Yorkers who always talk about how great NY is and drive like crap and bring their Liberal Dummycrat politics with them.

I understand not all are like that, the above poster is probably not, I dont know. But for the most part, its the Long Island 3 Piece wearing (tank top, black socks, and shorts) ginzos that will drive ya crazy.
Yes Miami has some crappy areas, but is this a surprise? Does ne really have to ask? Heck any large city is going to be 80% craphole with a few nice spots tossed in here and there.

I live in a  suburb north of Miami and I love it. Scuba diving anytime I want to go. Nice and warm (I abhor the cold). Would I live in Miami? no. I wont live in any large population center like that for the predictable reasons you will find in ANY large city.  Aventura is about as close as I would ever consider moving to Miami.

Thats why I want ot get the hell out of NY also.

It's just not for me anymore

I'll agree that Aventura is probably the nicest area in Dade county.  I loved shopping at the Aventura mall.

Las Olas Blvd was my favorite place.  Cafe Europa next to Ohara's bar was great, but even that place has changed.  You used to be able to get a cappucino and hang out and watch people and cars drive by.  Now it is table service mandatory and as soon as you are finished they are rushing you on your way
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:25:46 AM EDT
[#44]
You would be wrong to base your opinion of South Florida strictly on the shithole part where you stayed at. There are bad areas in every large metropolitan area. Sorry you had a tough time while you were here.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:06:27 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
3-4 Hot, rainy months, the rest are simply the best weather in the nation.  No A/C (or heating) needed from October to April.  

No SNOW!!!

Really? Sounds like Phoenix.

My A/C gets turned off and the windows opened in October. Usually have to shut the windows and turn on the A/C around May.

If I'm real lucky in the dead of a 'harsh' winter if I crane my neck juuuuust right and peer past the Supersition Mountains I can see a light dusting of snow on ~7,645ft Four Peaks.

We don't get New Yorkers though. We get Canadians and Minnesotans (doncha know?).
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:07:36 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
It's a weird combination of old NY/NJ Jews, hispanic illegal aliens, and ghettos. But everything is still expensive for some reason. The touristy areas are nice to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there.

I cannot for the life of me see how some people scrape by here, but if a city has ever priced itself off the map this is it....me I am gonna finally buy that acreage I always wanted, just happens that its gonna be a long way from here....
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:16:29 PM EDT
[#47]
I "survived" there for 2.5 years. Nothing but Drugs, Bugs and Thugs. Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:30:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Damn, I never read so much pile of crap in my life.  I think only experience some of you guys have had about Miami is from Miami Vice.

I've been in Miami/S. FL since 1972 and I love this town.  I have been assigned or lived in Chicago, San Diego, L.A., Springfield and San Fran but I always come back to S. FL.  I have never found a better place to live.

There are good spots, bad spots, cheap areas, rich areas, new, old, etc. like every other large city in this country.  There are beautiful people from all over the world here and most are hard working, tax paying people like everywhere else.

For you fishing guys out there, I can go out on the boat in the morning and spend few hours trolling for dolphin or live baiting for sailfish just couple miles from the dock and then be on a tropical island by noon for picnic (grilled dolphin) and then spend the afternoon chasing 100+ pound tarpons along the ocean front flats all within sight of the downtown buildings.

It ain't perfect but it comes close to being a tropical paradise.

If you want to come to Miami and have a great time just contact me.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:41:49 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Damn, I never read so much pile of crap in my life.  I think only experience some of you guys have had about Miami is from Miami Vice.

I've been in Miami/S. FL since 1972 and I love this town.  I have been assigned or lived in Chicago, San Diego, L.A., Springfield and San Fran but I always come back to S. FL.  I have never found a better place to live.

Ummm, I grew up in Florida and have been going to Miami since the middle 70s.

I had family there that I visited several times a year until they finally moved 4 years ago.

I doubt it has improved in the last 4 years.

ETA: And I LOVE Miami Vice. If Miami was still the Miami of the early 80s (shown on Vice) it wouldn't be that bad of a place.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:59:22 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

There are good spots, bad spots, cheap areas, rich areas, new, old, etc. like every other large city in this country.  There are beautiful people from all over the world here and most are hard working, tax paying people like everywhere else.

For you fishing guys out there, I can go out on the boat in the morning and spend few hours trolling for dolphin or live baiting for sailfish just couple miles from the dock and then be on a tropical island by noon for picnic (grilled dolphin) and then spend the afternoon chasing 100+ pound tarpons along the ocean front flats all within sight of the downtown buildings.

It ain't perfect but it comes close to being a tropical paradise.

If you want to come to Miami and have a great time just contact me.

Whatever.  Half the population doesnt speak english.  Half the population is below the poverty line.  One of the highest crime rates in the country.  And they cant even put bumperstickers on rental cars, otherwise they'll kill the tourists.   Fishing is great, but you dont live on the boat do you.   Miami is a S-hole.  But hey, if you like it, have at it.    
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top