Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2005 3:10:48 PM EDT
I see plently of information about taking firearms, but what about just ammo.  If your not taking a gun, do you have to declare that you have ammo? I would imagine so, otherwise the explosive screeners might catch you.

I also seem to recall hearing about a maximum amount of weight, I think 11 pounds.  How many rounds of .308 is this?  It has to be packaged in a container designed for ammo.  Does that include the original box?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:19:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Quantity depends on the airline, and they usually specify that it be in factory boxes.  I have flown with a gun twice in the last month, and I simply unloaded my mags and put the ammo back in a factory box.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:23:23 PM EDT
[#2]
My experience has been that there is a weight limit, IIRC, 7#s.  Never had a problem and wasn't asked if it was in factory boxes.  Just "do you have less than X #s?".  Check with the individual airline, but be patient if you get an non-gun type on the phone.  Keep asking until you get the answers.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:45:00 PM EDT
[#3]
factory boxed ammo is fine, the weight limit is 11 pounds, but somehow I managed to get far more ammo to training.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:04:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I carry 50 rounds of Corbon packed in a typical transparent reloaders box with tape to seal it.  Ammo has not been questioned for about 10+ flights this year, including the trip I am currently on.  

If you need more than 10 pounds of ammo, ship it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:48:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Check with your airline.  Alaska will let you carry up to 50#, their max. weight for one bag.  I packed a M1 ammo can (locked with a Ammo-can-lock) in my suitcase.  I declared it, but TSA didn't care about it.  They had lots of questions about how to get a Garand after inspecting mine.

Their explosive sniffer doesn't pick up smokeless gun powder.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top