Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2001 3:06:48 PM EDT
I have been loading 40cal for a glock23 for some time now. I am using a low powered round which does not even flatten the primer!! All factory stuff that I have shot flattens the primers. I do not have high pressures so how could I possibly have a KaBoom?????? Ilove my Glock but I am concerned about a Kaboom!![0j]
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 3:19:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 3:26:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Might I suggest a heavy dose of HK [:D]
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 3:41:31 PM EDT
[#3]
As biased as I am in favor of Glocks, I don't own the .40 for that very reason.  I think Glock rushed it into production to beat the others to the street with the .40 short and weak.  It is built on the 9mm frame and I don't think it's a very good design all in all.  Get a Glock 20 and don't worry about a thing...

Check out glocktalk.com.  Those guys are great for advice on stuff like that.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 4:00:03 PM EDT
[#4]
if your brass is bulging DO NOT RELOAD THAT CASE! the 40 glocks dont have a fully supported chamber (if they changed it its news to me) witchi is why i sold the glock 22 i had. didnt want to worry about bulging cases going kaboom instead of bang
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 4:33:13 PM EDT
[#5]
my brass is not bulging at all no signs of hi pressure!! [0j]
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 4:46:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have been loading 40cal for a glock23 for some time now. I am using a low powered round which does not even flatten the primer!! All factory stuff that I have shot flattens the primers. I do not have high pressures so how could I possibly have a KaBoom?????? Ilove my Glock but I am concerned about a Kaboom!![0j]
View Quote

Get a 1911 and all your troubles are [b]NOT[/b] belong to us [;D]
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 4:48:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I reload 40 for my G35 and G23 on a Dillon RL550b. My only advise is to keep to a reliable reloading manuals specs and take your time to ensure accurate loading.
This includes DETAILED case inspection after you polish it. One other tip, get a chrony and check your velocities. This is cheaper than any type of pressure measuring device I know of and can give you rough data to compare against the reloading manuals data.
Keep within those specs!! (or buy an HK[:)])
--just kidding...
CS
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 5:26:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I've run over 2500 rounds through my Glock 30 with no KB's. no FTF's, no FTE's, no problems.
Only about 500 or so of these rounds were reloads, but they were high quality (my brother did them on his Dillon 650). I think the KB stories are sometimes overstated. I have seen KB'd HK's too - an old friend of mine KB'd a P9S back in the `80's using hand loads. He needed stitches and his father needed restraints to keep from KB'ing his son (dad's gun).
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 5:45:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Mulder, I've loaded 40S&W for years and did see some KB's happen. Every time it did I would check it out. What I found that most KB's was with the old federal brass with "FC" on the headstamp. The new federal brass has the whole word "FEDERAL" on the head so just stay away from the old federal brass.(also heard of some S&B's having KB's in glocks) I reload my brass till it cracks before throwing it away. No KB's yet.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 5:50:43 PM EDT
[#10]
The competition crowd is aware of
some problems.

[url]http://www.egw-guns.com/parts/parts_dies.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 6:19:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Years ago, I reloaded my Glock 22[b] several thousand times without a problem.[/b]
I did notice the stock barrel REALLY leads up, even worse than the .357magnum.
I switched to jacketed bullets because I got tired of scrubbing lead.

It wasn't till later, when I got on the web, that I heard about the KABOOM stuff. I've seen blown-up guns before, and even though the owner won't want to admit it, it's almost always a bad handload.
Except for on the internet, I've never heard anything bad about the .40 glocks.
We have a range that rents guns locally. I asked them once if they ever had a Glock KABOOM. They said the Glcoks were about the only guns they [b] didn't[/b] have problems with eventually.

Link Posted: 7/21/2001 6:31:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I reload for my G23, like CoverSix said, be cautious in your reloading and your inspection of used brass.  To be safe I discard brass after it's 4th reload (keeping good records is wise).  I put all my reloaded ammo in plastic boxes and inspect for any high primers or any inconsistancies with OAL.  Always be sure check everything when you change bullet types or brands also.

The money I saved from reloading has paid for a KKM barrel so now I can save even more $$ by shooting lead. Federal Arms has a full line of Glock barrels which will have std. rifling allowing you to shoot lead, prices are around $80.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 4:13:26 AM EDT
[#13]

The money I saved from reloading has paid for a KKM barrel so now I can save even more $$ by shooting lead.
View Quote

Kevin,

How do you like your KKM?
I put one in my G24, it ate lead fine, but was never 100% reliable, even after I had the chamber reamed.

I gave up and went back to the 1911 for IPSC
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 7:10:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How do you like your KKM?
I put one in my G24, it ate lead fine, but was never 100% reliable, even after I had the chamber reamed.
View Quote

Actually I just got it a few weeks ago and haven't had a chance to try it out.  I did have a Fed. Arms barrel before the KKM and it worked great.  Hopefully I can pop it in this weekend and give it a test.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top