Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2005 11:07:45 AM EDT
It is in like new condition with 1 10 and 2 30rd mags.  I want one with the walnut stock, but this one has the black krinkle stock on it.  $1150.

Should I buy it then order a surplus wood stock from Fred's or something.  

Does anyone have experience with Fred's.

I am teetering and cannot decide.  Help me  I cant concentrate on work!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:09:12 AM EDT
[#1]
No! You should tell me where it is cause I want it
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:09:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Fred's stocks are used. Nice but not 100% perfect. I like perfection.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:11:24 AM EDT
[#3]
If it is a Springfiled...

It prob dont work.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:12:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Standard or loaded model? USGI parts content? Pre or postban configured gun?

30 rd mags? Aftermarket. Nothing special there.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:15:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

It prob dont work.

Uh huh, suuurrrrre you know what you are talking about

I have extensive experience with a fairly large number of Springfield products, and currently own 5 myself. Mine are all outstanding.

I will point out that Springfield offers a lifetime warranty on their products should they need repair.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:22:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I've purchased several stocks from Fred's.  He has several different grades to choose from.  I tend to buy the less expensive ones in about the middle of the grading curve.  Some have been great lookers after being refinished.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:29:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought one last week on the EE.  Still need to get out to the range though.  Check with Armalite and see if they still have the mags on sale.  I just got 6 brand new GI mags they were gonna convert to AR10 but never did.  $25 each is a bargin.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:44:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It prob dont work.

Uh huh, suuurrrrre you know what you are talking about

I have extensive experience with a fairly large number of Springfield products, and currently own 5 myself. Mine are all outstanding.

I will point out that Springfield offers a lifetime warranty on their products should they need repair.

Good for you...

My M1a had a FTE prob, right out of the box, ended up having to send it back not once but twice.(it is now gone to a home where it will prob live it's entire live in the back of the closet)

My G.I. 1911 had a FTF and FTE prob out of the box, I sold it to Superchicken after getting it clean'd up and working.

The only Springfield  I own that work's great is my XD-40.(great pistol, I love it)

I have seen 3 M1a's that do not work, Evil ATF from this board is one..and 2 at the local police dept that I work with...

Springfield is Shit out of the box....

YMMV
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:48:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Standard or loaded model? USGI parts content? Pre or postban configured gun?

30 rd mags? Aftermarket. Nothing special there.

It is a very recently purchased gun.  not sure exact date but probably 2 years old or less.  Springfield.

Sorry 20rd USGI mags not 30.

Any trick to getting an older surplus stock on new M1A, inletting?

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#10]
M1a parts - stock included - should drop in with no inletting or mods. Unless it's got a super heavy barrel.

If it's in like new shape - see if they'd knock it down to $1000 out the door, but if they don't, it still seems like a great deal.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:56:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I can't help you with your choice but can empathize with how you feel.  When I get obsessed about buying a particular gun I can't get it off my mind.  It's the only thing I can think about to the exclusion of food or sex.  Thankfully there aren't any guns I want at this moment.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:08:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I just recently bought an M1A Scout.  The only problem I've had with it is the rail did not want to accept the LaRue RASII mount that held my Aimpoint M3.  I had to have my uncle do a little grinding on the mount to get it to fit (Yeah, I know, I'm a wimp cuz I'm not good with tools lol).  I've put about 400 rounds through it so far without any problems.  I was worried about the Springfield quality control since there are so many people on the internet who complain about it.  So far, it runs perfectly, it feels great, it shoots great.  Realistically, is there a problem with their quality control?  Maybe.  Then again, Springfield is a large company that sells a lot of guns, there's bound to be problems with a few of them, and internet messageboards like this allow people to come online and spread their complaints.  For every person complaining, there's a large amount who are perfectly happy with theirs (including me).  Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot of other options in the M1A world other than Springfield, and the other ones arent stocked at every gunshop.  However, if there's a problem, then you can either send it back to Springfield because they have great customer service, or you can probably solve it by replacing some parts with USGI stuff.  From my experience so far, I'm extremely happy with my rifle.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:16:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

It is a very recently purchased gun.  not sure exact date but probably 2 years old or less.  Springfield.

Any trick to getting an older surplus stock on new M1A, inletting?

Non-usgi extractors on newer Springfield M1As have been a recurring problem from what I have read on the boards. This could be R-32's issue.

I bought older M1As with mostly USGI parts and have been very happy with them. In all, my friends and I have well over a dozen M1As between us, including some with few USGI parts, if any. They all work fine. However, the vast majority of complaints come from fairly new rifles. Something to consider.

Also, if you want a standard model with a chrome lined barrel, newer rifles may not have them as the USGI barrel inventory is pretty much dried up.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:20:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Good for you...

YMMV

Sounds like you have a legitimate gripe behind your post. Sorry.

Thankfully my personal experience has been the opposite.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:24:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I can't help you with your choice but can empathize with how you feel.  When I get obsessed about buying a particular gun I can't get it off my mind.  It's the only thing I can think about to the exclusion of food or sex.  Thankfully there aren't any guns I want at this moment.

Your post reflects a level of karma that I have yet to achieve.

I aspire to reach the point at which you have arrived.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:26:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I would buy it. And I like ordering stuff from Fred's. Buy the stocks soon, they are only becoming rarer.

I have a stock in each type of wood and fiberglass.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:36:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I just scratched my M1A itch!

The local gunstore had two on the shelf, one with wood and one with a synthetic stock. The sticker on both said $1299. All they came with was one magazine, the box, and a US Army Technical Manual.

From the first time I laid eyes on the Walnut stock, I had to have that gun. I visited the store a couple of times over a one week period to fondle the gun. I finally asked him if he would take $1199. He said okay and that was it. It went home with me.

I haven't shot it yet, but it is without doubt the most beautiful gun I have ever seen or owned.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:13:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I just scratched my M1A itch!

The local gunstore had two on the shelf, one with wood and one with a synthetic stock. The sticker on both said $1299. All they came with was one magazine, the box, and a US Army Technical Manual.

From the first time I laid eyes on the Walnut stock, I had to have that gun. I visited the store a couple of times over a one week period to fondle the gun. I finally asked him if he would take $1199. He said okay and that was it. It went home with me.

I haven't shot it yet, but it is without doubt the most beautiful gun I have ever seen or owned.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/panzersergeant/Sept05017.jpg

Very nice!

I bought the M1A I mentioned!

Pics will be coming later today.  It came with a fibergalss stock which I will be changing out to Walnut.  I am looking at the EE and Freds for the replacement.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:15:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I have been tempted to get a Fred's stock, but was lucky enough to trade for a nice Springfield Armory Inc. med weight match one from a friend at work who bought a Boyd's laminate one.  It is really nice and fit tight to my Springfield M1A.  First time out with the new stock and I put 15 shots into the 10 ring at 200 yards......with my own match reloads at that....granted it was off the bench.  168 gr. BTHP Sierras....gotta love 'em.

From what I read you need to be patient with your orders from Fred's.  They do have a hell of a colection of stocks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:28:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:21:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
i don't own one right specifically because of the garbage SA has been turning out over the last few years. i have seen more SA bolts dissasemble themselve mid string than i care to mention. broken firing pins, trigger groups malfuctioning etc. the non GI parts they are using are garbage.

that price is about right for a standard NIB rifle here. they are going new for 1200 or so.

I've heard similar tales of woe in the past. In fact, that is what has kept me from buying one up till now. I guess I'm hoping I got the "one" that won't need a lot of warranty work done to it.

On a brighter note, I put two bandoliers of Korean surplus through it at the range this weekend with nary a burp!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:17:37 PM EDT
[#22]
If you get a stock from Fred's, consider the Big Red Birch stock. They are cut a bit fuller and seem more rigid than the standard birch or walnut. The only downside is that the standard handguards look wrong with them. But Fred's sells a black m14 hanguard that complements the stock nicely. fred's also offers info on how to fill in the selector hole with Acraglas. ( it works)
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:50:42 PM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:58:42 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
i don't own one right specifically because of the garbage SA has been turning out over the last few years. i have seen more SA bolts dissasemble themselve mid string than i care to mention. broken firing pins, trigger groups malfuctioning etc. the non GI parts they are using are garbage.

that price is about right for a standard NIB rifle here. they are going new for 1200 or so.

I sent my Springfield M1A to Fulton Armory a few years ago for a new stock and glass bedding. After they had it for some time my turn in line came up. They wanted to replace a number of non-GI parts, in addition to the work I had requested. The bill came to about $1000...I decided to let them replace the parts..Now I guess it is good that I did.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:08:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
www.hunt101.com/img/326227.JPG

www.hunt101.com/img/326228.JPG

I like it!

Now I'll have to get me one of them fiberglass stocks and a scope to round mine out!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:10:07 PM EDT
[#26]
This one has a TRW Bolt and an H&R barrel stamped 7-60 supposedly bought new i year ago.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:57:06 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
This one has a TRW Bolt and an H&R barrel stamped 7-60 supposedly bought new i year ago.  

Score

Give a range report when you can.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:25:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Nice rifle..................email sent re: stock.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:28:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:32:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Screw Fred's..I'll send you a USGI m14 stock for free. You pay the shipping.

Seriously.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:34:43 PM EDT
[#31]
I used to have one with walnut, my next M14 clone will have a fiberglas stock.  The wood is purty and old school but give me lighter weight and weather resistance.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:38:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Nice rifle.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:41:13 PM EDT
[#33]
nice gun, my SA SOCOM 16 has a TRW trigger group
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:44:34 PM EDT
[#34]
As much as I love good wood stocks... I personally advocate a nice fiberglass stock for weather-proofness.

Good score, if you're up to it, have the gas cylinder unitized and put a NM guide rod on it... Get a spare extractor + spring from Fulton... and shoot it a lot!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top