Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/15/2005 6:34:50 AM EDT
This message is especially for the lawyers in the crowd...

Our QC guy just walked into my office all pissed about a misunderstanding between our department and his. After a couple of minutes of yelling and me trying to calm him down he finally tells me "I'll rip your guts out!" and gets all up in my face. Dude, that is a violation of the company ethics and violence in the workplace policy! He finally calmed down and we got to the bottom of the problem and he apologized saying something about he's on new medication...

He has had some run-ins previously with other people in the company (threats of violence and I believe a sexual harrassment issue).

I am REALLY tempted to report this to HR...

What would you do?

***Update***

Well, XXXX just came into my office again, much calmer this time. He profusely apologized for his earlier behaviour. Explained that he realized after blowing up at me that his behaviour was being seriously affected by a change in medication in the last few days. At lunch he obtained the old medication (I have no idea what it is and didn't dare ask) and is feeling much better now. He also said that he was embarassed more than anything by his behaviour and was totally in the wrong... Hmmm... Seemed pretty authentic to me. He also said that they had gotten the original problem taken care of according to what I had suggested and all is well.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:36:30 AM EDT
[#1]
report it, guy sounds like a dick
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:36:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Report it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:36:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Report it.

Theirs no excuse for that happening at work.

Yelling/cursing=hostile work eviroment
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:36:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Report it so when you draw down on him there will be a record of previous threats.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:36:57 AM EDT
[#5]
report him immediately.

and don't forget to stop by the police equipment store and pick  second chance body armor....
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:37:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Mrs. White: He was deranged he was... lunatic. He didn't seem to like me very much. He had threatened to kill me in public.
Miss Scarlet: Why would he want to kill you in public?
Wadsworth: I think she meant, he threatened in public to kill her.
Miss Scarlet: Oh.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:40:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Report it so when you draw down on him there will be a record of previous threats.

BigDozer66

+1

BTW, what is your company's guidelines for firearms on company property
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:41:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Have him meet you by the bike rack in the parking lot after work.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:41:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Take him to a local car wash and...
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:42:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Report it.
Because if it escalates, either with you or someone else, it might come back to you because you didn't   report it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:42:42 AM EDT
[#11]
1.  Remain calm and unemotional on the subject
2.  Report the incident to the HR representative.
3.  Avoid discussing it with others in the office
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:43:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Bigtime report it.

Nobody would spare you if you had such a lapse of judgement. Besides, if he's 'on medication' he could also be a workplace shooter risk.

Don't screw around with this.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:43:49 AM EDT
[#13]
burn a sack of poo outside his office door.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:44:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BigDozer66

+1

BTW, what is your company's guidelines for firearms on company property

Not allowed.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:44:29 AM EDT
[#15]
I am not a lawyer.  However, before you do anything I would recommend that you consult your employment contract and determine if you are allowed to sue your employer or if you are limited to legally binding arbitration.  You never know how far these things can go.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:44:51 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

BigDozer66

What he said, you have to report it to cover your ass when you are forced to shoot him.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:44:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Does he drive a Jeep?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:45:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Gotta document it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:45:21 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
1.  Remain calm and unemotional on the subject
2.  Report the incident to the HR representative.
3.  Avoid discussing it with others in the office

There were at least 2 other people that were standing right there when it happened and 2 more probably overheard it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:45:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Report it!

There should be a record of the incident in case it happens again. Prior behavior. Habit. Pattern.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:46:01 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
This message is especially for the lawyers in the crowd...

Our QC guy just walked into my office all pissed about a misunderstanding between our department and his. After a couple of minutes of yelling and me trying to calm him down he finally tells me "I'll rip your guts out!" and gets all up in my face. Dude, that is a violation of the company ethics and violence in the workplace policy! He finally calmed down and we got to the bottom of the problem and he apologized saying something about he's on new medication...

He has had some run-ins previously with other people in the company (threats of violence and I believe a sexual harrassment issue).

I am REALLY tempted to report this to HR...

What would you do?

Report him.  He definitely has a trend with his temper and needs some anger management or stress control classes.  He might not be fired, but should address the issue of him flying off the handle and verbally attacking people and claiming it was for other reasons.  The big issue is that if you don't address this and it continues where it does evolve into something much bigger and deadlier, you would feel like a POS that you didn't do anything about it when you had the chance.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:46:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Report him.  Next time he might act on his threats - you have a chance to intervene now.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:46:57 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Mrs. White: He was deranged he was... lunatic. He didn't seem to like me very much. He had threatened to kill me in public.
Miss Scarlet: Why would he want to kill you in public?
Wadsworth: I think she meant, he threatened in public to kill her.
Miss Scarlet: Oh.

You get 500 points for the Clue quote!

Colonel Mustard: And are you the host?
Wadsworth: Me, sir? No, I'm just the humble butler.
Colonel Mustard: And what exactly is it you do here?
Wadsworth: I buttle, sir.

Wadsworth: Professor Plum, you were once a professor of psychiatry specializing in helping paranoid and homicidal lunatics suffering from delusions of grandeur.
Professor Plum: Yes, but now I work for the United Nations.
Wadsworth: Then your work has not changed.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:47:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Report it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:48:15 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
burn a sack of poo outside his office door.

+1
No, really.  Report him, now.
THEN burn a sack of poo outside his office door.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:48:33 AM EDT
[#26]
He apologized, let it go. You're a big boy, and he didn't lay a hand on you. If he's really a dick, he'll be in trouble again before long. I deal with pissed-off airline passengers and testy agents and flight attendants all the time. You have to pick your battles. When things start to spiral downward, I usually just say "We'll talk when you can mind your manners" and walk away.

Now, if he grabs your shirt or something, the rules change.

Head-butt his face, grab him by the hair and drive your knee into his mouth, then report him to HR and take some medical leave to recover from the teeth broken off in your knee.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:49:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Stand up and offer to take it off company property. Two things will happen, both ok. First and most likely, he will back away. Second he will step out back and you can beat him into the ground.
CH
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:49:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Report it before he can follow through with any threats he made to you or any other people.

Then give him a full power shot.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:49:58 AM EDT
[#29]
So how bad is your quality?  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:51:27 AM EDT
[#30]
report it to HR. you don't need a turd like this coming back later cause his "meds were off" and maybe do something worse.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:53:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Do you work for the Post Office?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:55:07 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
So how bad is your quality?  

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:55:49 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Do you work for the Post Office?

Nope, manufacturing company
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:57:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:08:36 AM EDT
[#35]
I've worked with the guy for 5+ years. First time he threatend me with physical violence was today. Had him get huffy with me before. Don't really think he will follow through, just was pissed that he took it that far.

Quoted:
Unless you think he's really going to try to duke it out with you by the copier later, I'd forget about it. He apologized and it sounds like he already has "issues."

Note-not legal advice, if he tries to stuff you in the paper shredder later don't sue me!

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:10:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Burn him immediately.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:15:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:20:18 AM EDT
[#38]
I think you have 2 options:

1.  Now that he has settled down go talk to him and tell him it is a one strike kind of issue, one more time and he gets reported to HR or an ass beating

2.  Report him now.  I personally don't like the idea of threatening my own livelihood by giving a co-worker a well-needed as whipping.

shooter
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:22:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Call in sick, report it, wait for the outcome then go back to work. Nothing worse than a keyed car, slashed tires, or a jacked up guy with a gun in the parking lot.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:22:55 AM EDT
[#40]
report it right away, its now a hostile workplace and you are afraid.

they better do something or their shits in a sling.

Essayons
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:24:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Jack-Slap his @ss
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:28:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Report it.

That way you have a paper trail to cya if you have to kick him in the dick later.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:31:01 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
there is NO excuse for that kind of behavior over a job from anyone, especially anyone in management. i fire on the spot for such behavior. no exceptions no excuses.

A couple of the places I've worked wouldn't have had a lot of employees left
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:33:43 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I am not a lawyer.  However, before you do anything I would recommend that you consult your employment contract and determine if you are allowed to sue your employer or if you are limited to legally binding arbitration.  You never know how far these things can go.  

Good grief. Sue someone? Why the hell should everyone else pay because some hothead spouted off at work? (EVERYONE pays in a lawsuit)

Had he not apologized or gotten physical, would have turned it in to HR. Since he did, I would cut him a break, unless I had witnessed firsthand  him getting into it or harassing others. One incident in 5 years is one thing, a blowup every 5 weeks is another.

Let me ask this: who was responsible for this "misunderstanding" between departments? If it was your group, and you are not owning up for it, then someone getting pissed might not be a surprise (I knew a few managers who loved to play that game - and they would go running to HR at the drop of a hat) Not saying that's what happened, but have seen people play stoneface when they or their own people fucked up and it pisses people off to no end. On the other hand, if you were being reasonable, or his group screwed up, I would let him know in no uncertain terms that if he ever gets out of line again, his ass is toast - corporate politics says he now owes you a favor. (And I don't miss corporate politics one bit)

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:43:00 AM EDT
[#45]
What would I do? I'd have some lunch plans......feeding him a knuckle sandwich.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:47:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Let your immediate supervisor know what happened, but don't request action at this point.  With all of those witnesses it is going to be all over the grapevine anyway.  Letting your supervisor know will help cover your ass if anything eles happens.  If your supervisor insists on informing HR, then so be it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:48:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Report him!!!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:48:56 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
there is NO excuse for that kind of behavior over a job from anyone, especially anyone in management. i fire on the spot for such behavior. no exceptions no excuses.

Are you hiring?  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:52:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Be smart about it. Report it to your supervisor.

Realize that if you punch the guy you'll probably lose your job.

If you want to get rid of him, goad him into punching YOU, that will get the cops there and get him fired. You can't repsond in kind or you'll both be fired.

Be smart about it.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:57:57 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good grief. Sue someone? Why the hell should everyone else pay because some hothead spouted off at work? (EVERYONE pays in a lawsuit)

Had he not apologized or gotten physical, would have turned it in to HR. Since he did, I would cut him a break, unless I had witnessed firsthand  him getting into it or harassing others. One incident in 5 years is one thing, a blowup every 5 weeks is another.

Let me ask this: who was responsible for this "misunderstanding" between departments? If it was your group, and you are not owning up for it, then someone getting pissed might not be a surprise (I knew a few managers who loved to play that game - and they would go running to HR at the drop of a hat) Not saying that's what happened, but have seen people play stoneface when they or their own people fucked up and it pisses people off to no end. On the other hand, if you were being reasonable, or his group screwed up, I would let him know in no uncertain terms that if he ever gets out of line again, his ass is toast - corporate politics says he now owes you a favor. (And I don't miss corporate politics one bit)

Well a lawsuit would be silly if there encounters are limited to this.  Howeve,r if it develops into something more - or if the ass hole has friends higher up that could lead to the wrongful termination of mgamber.  Complaints in general could lead mgambers's managers to believe that he is not a "team player."  Basically, it would be nice to know what kind of recourse mgamber has if there is retaliation for his complaint.
ETA- The reason I mention this is because many employer not require employees to sign a contract that limits them to legally binding arbitration, which forfeits the right to sue in court.  You cannot appeal legally binding arbitration.  You can have a court review whether or not the contract of which the legally binding arbitration is a part of is valid.  Rarely do courts find them not to be valid.  The 9th Circuit, did however overturn such a case when it was found that the terms were exceptionally one sided.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top