Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/15/2005 3:50:52 AM EDT

story
I CAN'T BELIEVE I: Went to a Gun Show

"The normal me who hates the NRA and opposes civilian assault weapon ownership stayed in the parking lot, while this Mr. Hyde character wandered around saying things like, 'Twenty rounds a second, huh? And it'll fit in a purse?'"
By Luke McIntyre
Published: Tuesday, September 13, 2005

It was towards the end of July when I noticed the trail-blaze orange billboard outside Greensboro Convention Center proclaiming "Gun and Knife Show Aug. 27-28."

I don't squeal with excitement often and God willing that will be the last time. After getting my car back into one lane I made a quick u-turn to double check the date. For the next four weeks I talked about little else.

Like an early Christmas morning, August 27th rolled around. As I walked into the convention center I realized that, in my child-like anticipation of the gun show, I had failed to prepare myself mentally for such an event. The first thing I noticed was that these people were, well, all white. All of them. I hate to act on stereotypes, but hey, it was a gun show. A full-on, liberals leave your politics at the door, sleeves optional, guys in fatigues standing around quoting Reagan and cleaning their rifles HO-DOWN. And at about 2 o'clock in the afternoon a college kid with glasses and his Asian girlfriend were thrown in the mix. We blended in almost as well as the camouflage these guys were passing off as street wear.

Me being a guy, I felt it was my responsibility to tell my girlfriend every bit of trivia about every gun we saw. It was in the middle of explaining how the rainbow trajectory of a 30-30 round makes it harder to aim than a 30-06 that she left me to hunt down a soda. Immediately I realized two things. For some ill-fated reason I had a lot of cash on me, and now had no supervision. Running around like a coked-up 5-year-old in a candy store, it took less than 15 minutes to buy a machete, a pair of brass knuckles, and a grenade shell. Just for the record, the machete only cost four dollars.

While wandering around I began to notice the impressive number of WWII-era weapons. Being a fan of old weapons in general I stopped and spoke with several vendors when something very odd caught my eye. Surely it couldn't be, but there it was plain as day. Piles and piles of Nazi memorabilia. Medals, rank patches, canteens, they had it all. Nazi Iron Crosses lay beside American Silver Stars as if they'd put the whole World War thing behind them and since become good metallic friends.

I suddenly remembered a line from the movie American Beauty: "There's a whole subculture that collects this Nazi shit."

It was true.

I later found tables displaying Japanese and Italian effects, though not nearly in the same quantity. Without going so far as to make accusations, there was certainly a feeling that these German trinkets were not simple spoils of war.

On the upside, most vendors were extremely nice, knowledgeable people who were just trying to make a few bucks. Already low prices could be haggled a bit; the whole thing had the feel of a giant garage sale. I did question the intentions of the vendor whose sales pitch was "All of these rifles can be modified into fully automatic machine guns." He could have just as legally told me how to smuggle heroine in them, but this vendor was definitely a minority in the crowd.

A gun show is a surreal experience. The normal me that hates the NRA and opposes civilian assault weapon ownership stayed in the parking lot, while this Mr. Hyde character wandered around saying things like, "Twenty rounds a second, huh? And it'll fit in a purse?"

I held a $1,500 handmade knife. I practiced my A-frame stance with a Smith and Wesson .50 caliber revolver. And then, probably the greatest part of the day, I left. I left with a thinner wallet and a couple knives in tow, but I left gun-less. Like a kid in a toy store, I'd had my fun. I was just looking.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:05:23 AM EDT
[#1]

"Running around like a coked-up 5-year-old in a candy store, it took less than 15 minutes to buy a machete, a pair of brass knuckles, and a grenade shell."

What a maroon.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:07:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like he's a closet NRA member trying to claw his way out of his bean sprout eating girlfriend imposed facade.

Identity crisis in motion.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:11:41 AM EDT
[#3]
What a dumb ass, I wonder how much of this he really did see. His other self probably made it all up out in the parking lot.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:15:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah he doesn't know that its OK to like gunshows cause of all his homo friends.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:17:24 AM EDT
[#5]
He insinuates that people buy the nazi stuff because they are closet nazis or similar.  Anyone who has priced original nazi war trophies knows they are not for the casual buyer.  I doubt many racists will drop $5K for an SS dagger.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:17:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Does he know that some reenactors will pay good money for that nazi stuff?  They also buy up Russian, Japanese, ect. if it was used during WW2.  I guess we should just ignore all of history?  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:21:46 AM EDT
[#7]

On the upside, most vendors were extremely nice, knowledgeable people who were just trying to make a few bucks. Already low prices could be haggled a bit;

pretty obvious that this was his first gun show.

This guy doesn't know shit, 30-30 is harder to aim because of it's trajectory?  I guess that is why so many long range shooters back in the day used the .45-70
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:22:55 AM EDT
[#8]
And where the hell does he get COKED up 5 year old from??? Abused as a child??? This dude has issues. He has probably never LEGALLY owned his own balls and thats why when he gets set free he rushes out and buys a machete, brass knuckles, and a grenade shell! Give him enough freedom and he might just recover for the most part.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:22:58 AM EDT
[#9]
TRANSLATION:  "I really enjoy being helpless, - and d**kless for that matter.  Honey, I need some more lotion for my hands.  They feel a bit dry."

CMOS
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:25:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
He insinuates that people buy the nazi stuff because they are closet nazis or similar.  Anyone who has priced original nazi war trophies knows they are not for the casual buyer.  I doubt many racists will drop $5K for an SS dagger.

Nothing wrong with that! It's tradition to pick up war booty.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:26:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I could go for some war BOOTY right now!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:28:50 AM EDT
[#12]
What a hack...
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:31:58 AM EDT
[#13]
yup, we that actually go to the G-boro show are redneck Nazi racist scum bags

this asshat is just another college libtard that knows nothing except what his emotions tell him
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:37:50 AM EDT
[#14]
sounds to me like he went some place he thought he was going to hate and it turned out that he didn't mind it.  maybe, almost, had a good time.  the odd comment like the "coke" or "Nazi" i thow up to dramatic effect and a need to cater to his bog readers.  i bet we will see him again at a future gun show with a much more favorable report.    

not saying we have a convert but then again he didn't say if he tried the beef jerky.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:40:17 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

One of the books written about German WWII war booty has this quote (as best I can remember)  I may use it for a sig line:

The French Fight for Honor
The British Fight for Glory
The Americans Fight for Souvenirs (might have spelled that wrong, but you get the point)
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:45:26 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

One of the books written about German WWII war booty has this quote (as best I can remember)  I may use it for a sig line:

The Americans Fight for Souvenirs (might have spelled that wrong, but you get the point)

Right there we know it's BS.
the French don't Fight  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:48:24 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
sounds to me like he went some place he thought he was going to hate and it turned out that he didn't mind it.  maybe, almost, had a good time.  the odd comment like the "coke" or "Nazi" i thow up to dramatic effect and a need to cater to his bog readers.   i bet we will see him again at a future gun show with a much more favorable report.    

not saying we have a convert but then again he didn't say if he tried the beef jerky.  

You may see dickless boy at the show, just look for the Asian girlfriend.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:02:49 AM EDT
[#18]
I guess this person has never heard of "historical artifacts"?

I guess if you collect fossils you must be a zombie.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:12:10 AM EDT
[#19]

....... He could have just as legally told me how to smuggle heroine in them, but this vendor was definitely a minority in the crowd.

Hmmm.  A writer (and editor) that don't know the difference between the words "heroin" and "heroine".  So much for credibility.  What a tool.

CWO
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:13:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:32:13 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I thought we fought because some posh bloke on a horse with a "Sir" in front of his name told us to...

What is he insinuating here?

Without going so far as to make accusations, there was certainly a feeling that these German trinkets were not simple spoils of war.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:34:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:37:49 AM EDT
[#23]
The last time I went to that show I bought a bag full of AK goodies and some MREs.

I cant go back because I had to pry myself away from a FAL and then a nickel plated Colt 70 series
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:38:07 AM EDT
[#24]

The normal me that hates the NRA and opposes civilian assault weapon ownership stayed in the parking lot,

Too bad the 'normal' him didn't get run over by a lifted truck with an NRA sticker in the back window and a "cold dead hands" bumper sticker.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:38:42 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought we fought because some posh bloke on a horse with a "Sir" in front of his name told us to...

What is he insinuating here?

Without going so far as to make accusations, there was certainly a feeling that these German trinkets were not simple spoils of war.

He's insinuating that the vendors and people who buy those items are neo-Nazis.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:08:19 AM EDT
[#26]

"The normal me who hates the NRA and opposes civilian assault weapon ownership stayed in the parking lot, while this Mr. Hyde character wandered around saying things like, 'Twenty rounds a second, huh? And it'll fit in a purse?'"

What a homo
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:20:07 AM EDT
[#27]
well at least he didn't trot out the guns/penises sterotype.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:20:24 AM EDT
[#28]
I think Michael Savage is right, liberalism is a mental disorder.  Just try to follow this guy's line of thought.  He sees Nazi insignia from WWII mixed in with the insignia from every other major WWII participant.  He then remembers a movie that he once saw which said that some people collect nazi memorabelia.  Genius boy then puts two and two together, and without, say, TALKING to the guys at the table comes to the conclusion - based on his FEELINGS - that everyone is a closet nazi.  

The only thing that was proven is that a biased liberal came into a gun show and saw what he wanted to see.  For all the blather about "bias" and "prejudice," the libtards are completely unable to recognize their own biases.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:22:58 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
"Running around like a coked-up 5-year-old in a candy store, it took less than 15 minutes to buy a machete, a pair of brass knuckles, and a grenade shell."

What a maroon.

He is a moron also!

What in the hell can you do with a grenade shell?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:25:58 AM EDT
[#30]

That whole story seems like fiction to me.

Just a Conservative making fun of Liberals and trying to make a point.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:58:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:30:17 AM EDT
[#32]
What a homo.  

Good thing he was so superior that he restrained himself from buying one of those darned 20 rounds a second assault rifles.

Where do people get this shit from?

I swear liberals have assault rifles on the brain 24/7.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:05:24 AM EDT
[#33]
I wonder how many thrusts per squeeze he gets out of that grenade shell?  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:06:59 AM EDT
[#34]
A true 'tard in every sense of the word:  Bas, f***, and re.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:16:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Is his girlfriend hot?

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:31:57 AM EDT
[#36]
This guy claimed to know stuff about guns? Then he says "20 rounds a second assault rifle"?????? oh yeah and it fits in your purse? (I guess the guy must carry a purse) What a fucking phoney, liar, scumbag! Only good thing is, if it's retards like him that are making the gun laws, since they don't know shit about guns they won't pass effective legislation anyway. Go back and watch the Matrix so you can get more "gun info" since that is where you seem to get your ideas about guns.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:35:44 AM EDT
[#37]
It's from a school newspaper.  Whaddaya expect?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:36:50 AM EDT
[#38]
I wouldn't mind picking up some of those $4 machetes if they were in good shape.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:05:31 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
It's from a school newspaper.  Whaddaya expect?

Hey, hey - careful now.
I'm a universidad student - liberal arts too.
You don't hear that tripe rolling out of my mouth.

Guy's girlfriend has him by the balls.
This is the kind of guy who keeps the shit merchants at gun shows in buisness - he bought a dummy grenade, a $4, and a set of shitty brass knuckles.
Congratulations - now just go back and buy a beanie babie and some jerky and you complete the gunshow trifecta of shit!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:17:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:22:38 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

What a homo

+1

I hope he didn't bring his purse to the show!  No wonder he said he didn't blend in!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:25:51 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

What a maroon.

Always nice to here of a convert though.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:00:21 PM EDT
[#43]
tagged
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:17:30 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I guess this person has never heard of "historical artifacts"?

I guess if you collect fossils you must be a zombie.

Oh my god.. I never considered this tactical situation. We are at great risks from reanimated dinosaurs.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:42:40 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

On the upside, most vendors were extremely nice, knowledgeable people who were just trying to make a few bucks. Already low prices could be haggled a bit; the whole thing had the feel of a giant garage sale. I did question the intentions of the vendor whose sales pitch was "All of these rifles can be modified into fully automatic machine guns." He could have just as legally told me how to smuggle heroine in them, but this vendor was definitely a minority in the crowd.

How come every anti-gunner that goes to a single gun show meets up with this vendor, and yet I have gone to more than I can count and have never seen that type of conduct?  

+1000
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:48:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Sounds to my like he needs to go to an ARFcom shoot and get hooked on black rifle fever.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:49:13 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
... This dude has issues.

He has probably never LEGALLY owned his own balls and thats why when he gets set free he rushes out and buys a machete, brass knuckles, and a grenade shell! Give him enough freedom and he might just recover for the most part.

I wonder why he didn't get the chinese throwing stars too????
(remember Phoebe's weird little brother on the first trip to times sq??)
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:16:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:30:52 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
99% of the Nazi shit (always nazi, rarely werhmacht) is reproduction.
And there is a ton of Nazi shit out there at gun shows.
Makes me fucking sick.
If you don't think its there, you are high.
The days of WWII vets combing gun shows is over.  yet, somehow, the nazi shit still sells very well?
Why would remade nazi medals and uniforms excite people who didn't fight in WWII?  We aren't talking genuine collectables or historical items.
The nazis are out there and they love the gun shows.  Why do you think the mods have to constantly ban the 88s who come here assuming all gun lovers are wanna be nazis?
If nazi crap is so popular for collectables, you don't seem to see it at the beanie babies conventions or at any other.  
Just the gun shows.
I think gun shows should ban the shit because if you don't think it makes gun owners look like wanna be SS, you are wrong.

Bring it.

I'll agree about reproduction shit that is clearly new (low price tag, pristine condition), they are things nazi's wear today. I just don't see how they fit in a gun show at all though (if any real collectables are even sold at shows)... Then again, flying helocopters somehow make it in the door every show it seems.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:33:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top