Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2005 11:49:55 PM EDT
It was veal, now this?  So many lies from PETA and HS idiots...  First of all, if gees are intubated for force feeding, foie gras would be more expensive than Kobe beef.  It isn't.  Geese will force feed themselves...THEY ARE MIGRATORY BIRDS AND THIS IS HOW THEY BUILD ENDURANCE!  Domestic geese will fatten up nicely with only free feeding.  We used to let them out into the garden and field to eat the grass hoppers and other bugs, only feeding them a bit at night to get them into the coop for protection from varmits.  The only other animal that will eat itself to death is the horse.

I grew up on what is considered veal.  Well, at least in the summer when we couldn't (legally ;)) hunt deer.  500-600 pound calf, penned for a month and fed corn with hay.  Led the hapless calf into the trailer for the short trip to the slaughter house.  Off load it, slap a number on it with that icky glue and next week, go and pick up a load of beef  veal.

First Google hit

Second Google hit

Oh yes, fatty goose liver is traditionally used in the stuffing for the goose in my family receipe.  No butter needed...I have never tried fois gras but am willing now!

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:57:27 PM EDT
[#1]
If god didnt want us to eat meat, then why did he make them so tasty?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:08:32 AM EDT
[#2]
They tried to ban it in San Francisco last year, and IIRC, succeeded.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:16:38 AM EDT
[#3]
The EU will eventually ban it and veal.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:20:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Never ate the stuff, dont plan to   I could eat a couple PETA chicks tho!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:24:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Not missing much... tastes a LOT like spotted owl
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:37:01 AM EDT
[#6]
The PETA chicks or the liver?  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:44:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I love foie gras
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:43:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Yup they are trying to do the same there for the foie gras but i havn't heard anything about the veal for now.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:36:48 AM EDT
[#9]
foie gras = one of my favorite things

you don't want to see it made though...

if foie gras is outlawed - there will be a lucrative black market - from eastern europe
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:28:03 AM EDT
[#10]
they've been trying to ban foie gras production in Cali for a couple of years now. Hasn't gone through-yet AFAIK.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:29:42 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
they've been trying to ban foie gras production in Cali for a couple of years now. Hasn't gone through-yet AFAIK.

SB1520 was passed 44-28 and signed into law by Arnold.

It doesn't start until 2012, though.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:33:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Eventually, all high fat, high cholesterol, high sodium foods will be restricted or outlawed, and restaurants will not legally be permitted to serve you certain things if your medical history chip shows a possible risk.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:37:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Bloated, fatty goose liver pureed into a mush.  It tastes as good as it sounds.  I could never eat that stuff again and not miss it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:42:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Foie gras is delicious.  I order it whenver it's on the menu at a top restaurant.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:43:54 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?  I've heard those veggie fed retards are pretty tasty...they don't have the gamey aftertaste of us omnivorous folks......
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:49:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SB1520 was passed 44-28 and signed into law by Arnold.

It doesn't start until 2012, though.

no shit. Just checked it out-bans sales of foie also. Methinks there will quite the black market trade in foie in a few years...
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:53:32 AM EDT
[#17]
My parents grew up on farms in Hungary.  Their families used to make foie gras.

I love foie gras but I'm happy with regular old pork/chicken liver pate.  Ate a lot of it as a kid.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:57:55 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?  I've heard those veggie fed retards are pretty tasty...they don't have the gamey aftertaste of us omnivorous folks......

The only down side is there rather hairy, And you will be spending most of your time clearing your throat..
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:03:42 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

The only down side is there rather hairy, And you will be spending most of your time clearing your throat..

Field cleaning a person is little different from field cleaning any other animal.

Um, so I've heard.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:08:08 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Field cleaning a person is little different from field cleaning any other animal.

Um, so I've heard.

Soilent Green.  Save space and animals.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:16:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:24:10 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Bloated, fatty goose liver pureed into a mush.  It tastes as good as it sounds.  I could never eat that stuff again and not miss it.

a-frigging-men!!! patty day foy grass, kavee-ar, veel, all of 'em taste horrible. sometimes, i think rich folks eat this shit just cuz they know us knuckledragging barbarians wouldn't never touch the stuff!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:44:49 AM EDT
[#23]
I can see myself in 10 years in a mountain hideout, with a bunch of guns, geese, tobacco plants, young beef, a dairy, a field of sugar beets, a still, and not a single contact with the fucked-up outside world.

Turn it into Farnham's Freehold.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:49:02 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Who the fuck cares if their liver gets damaged.  They are soon going to be food.

Kind of like telling the terminal brain cancer patient he shouldn't smoke.

LOL.  One of my friends is a Neuro-Oncologist.  The first thing he does is take them off their cholesterol medication if they're on one.  They aren't going to die from clogged arteries.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:35:15 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

a-frigging-men!!! patty day foy grass, kavee-ar, veel, all of 'em taste horrible. sometimes, i think rich folks eat this shit just cuz they know us knuckledragging barbarians wouldn't never touch the stuff!

I don't much care for goose liver but the veal I have ingested was all quite good.

I bet the goose thinks its a pretty good deal, till he has to pay for the corn tab at the end.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:37:36 AM EDT
[#26]
That stuff is nasty anyway.

And geese are mean.  I'd take pleasure in eating their stuffed liver if it didn't taste so weird.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:48:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Regular goose and goose eggs taste just fine.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:51:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Save the geese!

Abort the children!
I'm convinced liberalism is a real disease.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:48:24 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

We raised geese and I agree.  The eggs are rich in flavor compared to store bought.  But if you feed chickens corn instead of powdered fish then their eggs would taste great too.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:23:41 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We raised geese and I agree.  The eggs are rich in flavor compared to store bought.  But if you feed chickens corn instead of powdered fish then their eggs would taste great too.

Hen's egs are fine too if they are used for insect control.  "Chicken on a June bug" is no joke.  As are grasshoppers, crickets and any other live bug.  Geese are better for the taller plants, naturally.

Of course you also feed them some corn scratch to get them back into the coop at night.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top