Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2005 8:05:26 PM EDT
The last time I looked for a job I had two offers within a week and a half. My contract is winding down, and I've started looking again. It's been a week and I still haven't had a single interview with an employer (I've talked to several recruiters though). One difference is that this time I am only looking in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Last time I was considering opportunities through out the southwest. One of my offers last time was in Colorado.

Anyways, I'm starting to get depressed that I don't have offers flowing in yet.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:11:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't had to look in 11 years.  I know it isn't fun.  Good thing I have a small store of SHTF cash.  Right now my SHTF is if the mall pretzel shop decides to close.

I may try to start my own business, perhaps a cart or stand at football games.  I've always wanted to be an independent small business owner.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:15:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I was hired within 3-days of dieciding I wanted a job again.

Btw im a student.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:32:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:36:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:37:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not unemployed yet, I'm thinking ahead on this one. Trying to find a job before my contract runs out. I'm in IT too Paul. I'm a SAN Engineer with a couple of certs under my belt as well. The upside of my niche is that there aren't a whole lot of people who do what I do. The down side is that there are fewer jobs opportunities then there are for say and MCSE or CCNA.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:57:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Also one of those also never unemployed but it took three fucking years, alot of job interviews and a few false starts before I was finally able get out of  my old job and I never plan to look back.

It's hard to find the road to a new career, but it sounds like you might have a better chance of getting one faster.

Good luck!  

PS: You will keep us informed right?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:09:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Couple of days max. Then again I'm also a college student with a $9.19/hour job.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:11:20 PM EDT
[#8]
It took me six months to find a job around here after I was medically discharged from the military.

It was worth the wait though, cause I ended up with an awesome job.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:31:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:03:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Depends on what you can do.

In myh case, a new job is a phone call away.

Seriously.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:18:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Good advice Paul.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:20:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Knock on wood, I've been here 5 years and have no desire to find a new job.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:29:43 AM EDT
[#13]
It depends on your situation, skill level, and profession.

The longest I have ever been out of work in since I started working at 15 is 3 weeks. The reason I was out of work back then was because the plant I worked at burned down.

I have been with the same company since '98. But to get that job it took almost 2 months until I got the offer letter. I was still working during this time. I image if I had to find another job it will take at least that long since my experience, skill sets, and salary requirements have increased.

I have always said the best time to find a job is when you don't to.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:54:11 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
How long does it take you to find a new job?  

No time. I've had the same one for going on 30 years.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:07:05 AM EDT
[#15]
took two years to gain employment at the same (close) level to what I was at when I was laid off from UAL.  I did have a job doing similar work for almost 50% less.  I did have several offers that wanted to pay $10/hr for doing what I was doing at $30+/hr.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:23:35 AM EDT
[#16]
The longest, 6 months. Average is a about a wek and a half.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:46:11 AM EDT
[#17]
I just completed a job search.  I left my old job without an offer on the table because I would have had to renew for a year.  I out-processed from my old job the first week of August and just got a SWEET offer yesterday.  While it was great for cooking for the wife and playing guitar it was seriously stressful at times.

Being a political scientist doesn't help that much, there are a finite number of places (even in the DC area) that are in a hurry to talk to you.

shooter
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:18:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Too damn long. The local factories around here just go through the employees like mad. Turnover is huge, yet they never figure out that they need to treat people better if they want them to stay. I know which places to avoid, yet they're the only ones with "wanted ads" out all the time. Finding a job I can stand and which isn't terribly abusive is getting pretty hard. Even temp work is mostly really shitty jobs nowadays.

Thankfully the wife makes excellent money so we have no money problems, but it grates on me that I can't find a decent job. But that's the way it goes in a modern manufacturing area.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:06:37 AM EDT
[#19]
I got a phone call with an offer last night and Im not even looking.

The last time I was looking I wanted to completely change fields. I looked for close to 8 months and couldnt get an entry level offer. So I took a crappy temp job at a place my buddy worked for cash while I was still looking. That was 9 years ago and now I run the dept, funny how things work out.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:12:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:22:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Use the people that you know in your industry - be proactive in getting the word out to everyone one you know who are connected in the industry - even if they are good candidates for hiring you.  Use your Grapevine to full advantage.

Hope this helps,

CWO
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:23:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:31:10 AM EDT
[#23]
My dad was a recruiter for many years.

He always told me to plan on spending a month per $10,000 of annual salary you're trying to achieve (assuming you have all the other necessary things to qualifiy for such a salary).
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:34:01 AM EDT
[#24]
I've been in your boat before Steve (just started a new job this week after looking about a month).  I work in IT also, in a niche field, as a linux administrator.  One thing to think about though, it may take someone like you longer to find a job then a vanilla MCSE, but your job will most likely 1. pay more and 2. have a better future.

Good IT jobs are hard to come by, but when they do, they are well worth it.

You don't have anything to worry about, especially with your SAN experience, but it may take a little while.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:38:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Often they call me...

Several years ago, I got canned when our contract ran out.  I had been on overhead for three months and that is a LONG time to be burning up the companies revenue.  I saw the end coming and already had a job with SAIC the day my boss delivered me the bad news that Friday afternoon, exactly when I knew I'd be going.  I was "out of work" over the weekend.

Frankly, with just a modicum of edumication, a willingness to adapt to our changing environment...a smidge of experience, and often a willingness to move, one ought not to ever be unemployed.

On the other hand, IF those requirements aren't met...if you happen to be LOCKED into a certain job and your skill-set is no longer required, then you might be in some difficulty.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:24:32 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm an RN.
The question would be "when do I want to go back to work?", then it would take a couple of hours.to get hired.
I told a friend I use to ride motorcycles with all over the country......"everywhere you see a blue hospital sign is a place I could pull over and work".
There will never be enough nurses with all you old guys getting older.
One of the best decisions I ever made was finishing nursing school.
There are many diferent things you can do that don't envolve even touching a patient, air conditioning, food, women (it's like a candy store), good money, benifits.......
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:25:31 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm financially prepared to be out of work for 3 months before I get in trouble, and that is about the max I would expect to be out of work before I could locate another job.

For me, it is much harder than average, because I'm hard of hearing, and 95% of the recruiters I've met have been discriminatory fuckwads.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:47:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Not counting my "pay the bills" walmart job,

I've been looking for 6 months now.  Before graduation and after.  Still looking.

Still not ONE SINGLE FREAKIN OFFER.  I've had two interviews.  Both of which ended up hiring someone else.

It sucks trying to find entry level stuff.  I can see where it'd be a lot easier for someone with a few years of experience.  Oh well, such is life.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:49:45 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
The last time I looked for a job I had two offers within a week and a half. My contract is winding down, and I've started looking again. It's been a week and I still haven't had a single interview with an employer (I've talked to several recruiters though). One difference is that this time I am only looking in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Last time I was considering opportunities through out the southwest. One of my offers last time was in Colorado.

Anyways, I'm starting to get depressed that I don't have offers flowing in yet.

Post your resume on www.dice.com and www.monster.com
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:49:47 AM EDT
[#30]
As for the getting depressed part, wait until its been six months without an offer.  THEN bitch about being depressed.  

I should say, "wait until you've been feeling like your entire education was a waste of years and thousands of dollars that you're left holding the bag for and the best job you can get is at walmart"  Live with that feeling for a few months.  Welcome to my life.  You want it?  You can have it, I don't need it anymore.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:36:01 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Say, wasn't there talk of having accepted a counter offer some months ago?  Wonder if that has anything to do with it.  If you are dealing with any recruiters within that previous recruiters group of contacts, they will not send you out on interviews again, ever.

Nope, that's not it. The guy that I was dealing with during that time was in Atlanta, and I am currently looking for jobs in Texas. I have all kinds of people contact me about jobs. I have my resume posted on a couple of career websites and I've gotten responses about jobs in Omaha, Chicago, Brooklyn, Green Bay, Wilmington, Cincinatti, and a few other places. I don't want to leave Texas, so I am automatically ruling these ones out. I have had a couple of people contact me about jobs here in Dallas but I haven't had an interview with a hiring manager yet. I'll find something eventually, I'm just not very patient is all.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:37:37 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Frankly, with just a modicum of edumication, a willingness to adapt to our changing environment...a smidge of experience, and often a willingness to move, one ought not to ever be unemployed.

I think that's the kicker. I don't want to leave Texas. I'm really only looking in Dallas and Austin.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:20:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Going on a year here

Got an offer in Minnesota in the hopper, we'll see if that pans out.  

On second thought, it's been about 16 months.  Time flies when you're posting on Arfcom...
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:59:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Anyone ever have any luck on monster.com ?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:05:52 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Anyone ever have any luck on monster.com ?

I received about 4-5 phone calls after posting my resume after getting laid off.  My background is in science, but every call was for a recruiter position with staffing firms.  

Still looking...

EPOCH

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:18:57 AM EDT
[#36]
They only open up for hiring here every 5 years or so, and I had to wait outside during a snowstorm to just get an application for the job.  Other than that, before that, I've been out of work the most 30 days.

I know alot of people hate NY, but there are not many places in america where you walk into a job and make >$50/hr your first paycheck.  I feel there is a surplus of jobs here.

I nkow people with Masters degrees that dont make half that, plus I have a pension to boot.

Unless I truly love this new job ( I'm a entrepreneur at heart ), I'm heading to Colorado by years end
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:22:45 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm an advanced practice nurse, and do anesthesia for a living.  I get several job offers every week.  Finding another job is a breeze at this point.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:26:47 AM EDT
[#38]
After I got out of the Navy it took me 2 months to find a job.
I'm quitting that job and moving back to Oregon...hopefully it won't take me that long to find a relatively comparable job, but I doubt it, because I work in IT.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:46:45 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think that's the kicker. I don't want to leave Texas. I'm really only looking in Dallas and Austin.

Yes...that often IS the major determinant.  In 1996 I was working in SoCal for SAIC.  I was beginning to really hate the work and the locale...but Miz LWilde didn't want to leave...so I did't push to hard...but she knew damn well I was unhappy.  The stress was just about killing me.

At the time, a Northern VA based DoD consulting firm was constantly bugging me to join their team.  They'd pay for the move...a house hunting trip...a 25% bump in salary...yada-yada-yada.  Finally when we lost a major contract and the .gov capture team dude told me on the QT that it was partly because my company had screwed the pooch and moved me out of the prospective PM job for a new hire that they did not like and was not qualified...but happened to be a close Bud of our boss, THAT was the final straw.  I finally convinced the missus it was time to go.

Best decision we ever made.  

Now...it I lost this job here and couldn't find anything...then what?  I have a job waiting back there with one of my former competitors.  Do I want to move?  No.  Would I to keep our family in groceries and me in ammo?  Yes.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:57:59 AM EDT
[#40]
SAN engineer?  I assume that you've already thought about applying at Dell.  If you work with EMC SANs, I think that would be a very easy fit.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:03:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Got laid off February 3rd.  Started my new job March 29th.

Quality Assurance Engineer.  aka Software Tester.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top