Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2005 6:10:34 PM EDT
I have accumulated a list of the purchases I plan to make when I get finished with college and land a decent job... or win the lottery, whichever comes first.

The firearms are posted in the order in which I plan to purchase them.  This list has been formulated based on my experience with MANY MANY different firearms over the years that I have bought, owned, and sold because of a lack of funds.  I believe these rigs are the best all-around configurations for my area and what I expect to happen if the SHTF.

After the base collection has been fully acquired, I will pick up some stuff that I just "want" for the hell of it like a .22 rifle, .22 pistol, etc. etc.

Please feel free to scrutinize, criticize, nitpick, and lecture... I'll listen.  Before anyone says it, YES I KNOW I NEED MAGS AND AMMO.  That kinda goes without saying.

The List                                                                        

1) Bushmaster A3 Lightweight 16”
                     -Aimpoint M3

-LaRue CCO Mount

-ARMS #40L

-Magpul M93B

-Magpul MIAD

-RAS

-Deiter Vert. Grip

-Surefire

2) Glock 17
-Night Sights

-3.5 lb. Trigger

-Streamlight M3

-Safariland 6004

3) Remington 870 Marine Magnum
  -Surefire Forend

-SideSaddle

4) Armalite AR-10A4 (black) w/ Kreiger bbl
      -Leupold MKIV M3

-LaRue QD Mount

-PRI Gen III Tube

-Harris Bipod

-Bipod Rail Adapter

-Magpul MIAD

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Well if I won the lottery I would invite every Arfcommer within range over to my new compound for a Class III shoot I just picked up a new Remington 870 magnum with the tube extension last weekend (the mariner version was $200 more so I got the plain black for $280).
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:21:31 PM EDT
[#2]
ok.  I'll start.  

Your list is too small.

R.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:22:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Glock 17 eh...  Have you by any chance fired a Sig P226 9mm?  it's MUY BUENO!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:22:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't forget your duty to keep the good folks who work in the ammo plants in a job!  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:22:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Well if I won the lottery I would invite every Arfcommer within range over to my new compound for a Class III shoot I just picked up a new Remington 870 magnum with the tube extension last weekend (the mariner version was $200 more so I got the plain black for $280).

I had a Marine Magnum for awhile.  If you look around long enough, you can find them used for around $350.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:23:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
ok.  I'll start.  

Your list is too small.

R.

Like I stated in the intro... that is just the base collection.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:24:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Glock 17 eh...  Have you by any chance fired a Sig P226 9mm?  it's MUY BUENO!

No but I had a 220.  To be honest, I shoot very well with Glocks and I can fix anything on them.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:24:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Before you get those fancy-pants rifles, you'll need something reliable and fun, ala AKM.

(Stickman's)
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:27:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Before you get those fancy-pants rifles, you'll need something reliable and fun, ala AKM.

img348.imageshack.us/img348/4749/p1010049resizedmedium5lr.jpg

(Stickman's)

No thanks.  I have never acquired a taste for AK's.  I have shot them plenty but never wanted one for myself.  I'll stick with the AR15 as my primary go-to rifle.

I know a lot of guys love 'em and that's understandable... just not my cup of tea.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:29:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

-Leupold MKIV M3

-LaRue QD Mount

-PRI Gen III Tube

-Harris Bipod

-Bipod Rail Adapter

-Magpul MIAD

I don't own an AR-10, but I haven't heard many good things about them.  I would add a good bolt gun instead.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The List                                                                        

1) Bushmaster A3 Lightweight 16”    Check
2) Glock 17                                    Check
3) Remington 870 Marine Magnum   Coming soon!
4) Armalite AR-10A4Check

Looks like a heck of a list!

I wish I wouldn't have had that boating accident!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:33:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Leupold MKIV M3

-LaRue QD Mount

-PRI Gen III Tube

-Harris Bipod

-Bipod Rail Adapter

-Magpul MIAD

I don't own an AR-10, but I haven't heard many good things about them.  I would add a good bolt gun instead.

I have looked into the claims that they are not reliable and it seems that those claims are no longer accurate.  It seems there was a period when Armalite was having QC problems, possibly.  From my research, currently the AR10 is perfectly fine.

I have had a few precision bolt guns and when doing actual "training" (mostly just fun multiple target engagement), I always found myself wishing for a semi-auto.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:35:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Leupold MKIV M3

-LaRue QD Mount

-PRI Gen III Tube

-Harris Bipod

-Bipod Rail Adapter

-Magpul MIAD

I have looked into the claims that they are not reliable and it seems that those claims are no longer accurate.  It seems there was a period when Armalite was having QC problems, possibly.  From my research, currently the AR10 is perfectly fine.

I have had a few precision bolt guns and when doing actual "training" (mostly just fun multiple target engagement), I always found myself wishing for a semi-auto.  

I stand corrected.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:35:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

img348.imageshack.us/img348/4749/p1010049resizedmedium5lr.jpg

(Stickman's)

Nice!

This one is the one BigDozer66 had before the boating accident!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:36:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Your list is too small, but that's excusable, however....

WHY THE HELL DON'T YOU HAVE A CMP GARAND ON THERE?!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:36:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Leupold MKIV M3

-LaRue QD Mount

-PRI Gen III Tube

-Harris Bipod

-Bipod Rail Adapter

-Magpul MIAD

I stand corrected.

I wasn't trying to be an ass or anything.  I just don't want anyone to miss out on something they might want because of some old info that is still going around.

Believe me, I thought the same way you do before I looked into it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:38:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Your list is too small, but that's excusable, however....

WHY THE HELL DON'T YOU HAVE A CMP GARAND ON THERE?!

That comes after the base collection is established... along with the .50 and the HK94, and the suppressors, and...
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:38:34 PM EDT
[#18]
"Criticize my future firearm purchases!"

O.K., I think it's just crazy that you're going to buy an AutoMag and just give it to me!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:39:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I would suggest an extended mag release for the glock.  It really helps with quick mag changes.

Also, for SHTF, are you sure you really want a bright chrome shotty?  I've run into a couple of dealers at the last couple of fun shows that are selling an 870 with speedfeed stock, surefire fore end and mag extension, all in a nice tactical black.  The guy at the tabel said that the package deal from Remy is better priced than you can part the thing out for.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:42:08 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Leupold MKIV M3

-LaRue QD Mount

-PRI Gen III Tube

-Harris Bipod

-Bipod Rail Adapter

-Magpul MIAD

I stand corrected.

I wasn't trying to be an ass or anything.  I just don't want anyone to miss out on something they might want because of some old info that is still going around.

Believe me, I thought the same way you do before I looked into it.

I know you weren't that is why I used a smillie
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:45:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I would suggest an extended mag release for the glock.  It really helps with quick mag changes.

Also, for SHTF, are you sure you really want a bright chrome shotty?  I've run into a couple of dealers at the last couple of fun shows that are selling an 870 with speedfeed stock, surefire fore end and mag extension, all in a nice tactical black.  The guy at the tabel said that the package deal from Remy is better priced than you can part the thing out for.

The 870 will most likely reside either in my vehicle or in a corner of the apartment somewhere... where it won't receive the best of care.

I've had a couple black 870's as well and the finish isn't the best in the world as far as moisture resistance is concerned.

The extended mag release is a decent addition... I may think about it.  I've owned a couple of pistols with them and I was just as quick without the extension since that is what I was accustomed to.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:58:51 PM EDT
[#22]
I like the Bushmaster superlight in a basic config. I just like the "keep it simple" approach for a SHTF rifle. but the decked out mode is ok also. That's why I have both

I would get a FAL instead of the AR10. (you need to shoot mine, or did you? I can't remember.)

Otherwise, I like it!

.. you are actually going to keep these when you get them this time, correct?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:08:51 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I like the Bushmaster superlight in a basic config. I just like the "keep it simple" approach for a SHTF rifle. but the decked out mode is ok also. That's why I have both

I would get a FAL instead of the AR10. (you need to shoot mine, or did you? I can't remember.)

Otherwise, I like it!

I'll keep these... that's why I'm waiting until AFTER college.

I shot the FAL...  The problem is that the FAL is typically not as accurate as the AR10 and is not as well set up for optics.  The AR10 is going to be my precision rifle.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:11:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd go with the Glock 19 before the 17.  The smaller pistol is easier to conceal for CCW.  You can always carry the larger magazines for it.  I'd also prefer an M1A over a AR platform in .308.  JMHO YMMV  

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:14:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Otherwise, I like it!

I shot the FAL...  The problem is that the FAL is typically not as accurate as the AR10 and is not as well set up for optics.  The AR10 is going to be my precision rifle.

I predict you will find yourself wanting a bolt gun for precision work...  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:17:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I'd go with the Glock 19 before the 17.  The smaller pistol is easier to conceal for CCW.  You can always carry the larger magazines for it.  I'd also prefer an M1A over a AR platform in .308.  JMHO YMMV  

I've had a couple of M1A's and it is a terrible optics platform compared to the AR10, IMO.  The AR10 is also more versatile.

I already have a CCW pistol and need a full-size sidearm.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:20:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Otherwise, I like it!

I'm not looking for ragged one-hole groups at 300 yds.  I want something that I can reach out to 600yds. with "minute of pie plate" accuracy.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:27:15 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Otherwise, I like it!

You might consider a PTR.  Mine has been extremely acccurate for a semi.  This was my best target at 200meters using South African Surplus sing the rest pictured below.  It was with a Sightron SII 4X16X42 scope.  I think the heavy barrel makes them more accurate than a real 91 but I could be wrong.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:45:24 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Otherwise, I like it!

You might consider a PTR.  Mine has been extremely acccurate for a semi.  This was my best target at 200meters using South African Surplus sing the rest pictured below.  It was with a Sightron SII 4X16X42 scope.  I think the heavy barrel makes them more accurate than a real 91 but I could be wrong.

i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/pistolfodder/96545_ts.jpg
i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/pistolfodder/IMG_0113.jpg

I had a PTR as well, lol.  I didn't care for the ergonomics of it.  I actually sold it less than a month after I got it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Otherwise, I like it!

i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/pistolfodder/96545_ts.jpg
i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/pistolfodder/IMG_0113.jpg

I had a PTR as well, lol.  I didn't care for the ergonomics of it.  I actually sold it less than a month after I got it.

To each there own.  I didn't like the stock trigger at all, or the buttstock.  Here's a crappy pic of mine on my dirty coffee table.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:08:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Replace the Glock with a Sig and you'll have a perfect setup.

HH
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top