Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2005 4:05:29 PM EDT
Are they a dd, or just restricted or...
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:07:33 PM EDT
[#1]
yep
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:15:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't find any law or ruling saying they are...

HOWEVER I have a good friend how is heavily invested in Class 3 items, and he cautioned me to NOT even try to buy them.  He told me point blank "If I could have them, I would."

You can say "The proof is in the pudding" or "Put your money where your mouth is" etc...  I'm just gonna take his advice and avoid even trying to buy them.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:15:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it anything with more that 1/4 oz of the good stuff is DD?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:19:43 PM EDT
[#4]
IIRC, yes.
The serial number is on the spoon, on a stick-on label for at least one of the companies that produces refillable/reusable FBs, so they have to find the device/spoon after every deployment or have to do all the paperwork again for a new one.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:29:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Is it anything with more that 1/4 oz of the good stuff is DD?

Good question.  You can legally manufacture a device containing flash powder (Aluminum powder/Potassium Perchlorate) containing 2 grains or less of material.  That's not a lot.  If I understand the laws correctly, you cannot sell, store, or transport it.  Basically you can make it and blow it up in your yard.  I don't know what exactly makes it a DD.  Is it enough for it to have more than 2 grains of material??  I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
IIRC, yes.
The serial number is on the spoon, on a stick-on label for at least one of the companies that produces refillable/reusable FBs, so they have to find the device/spoon after every deployment or have to do all the paperwork again for a new one.

Kharn

Does that mean its not a good thing to pick up the spoon after a SWAT demenstration?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:07:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
IIRC, yes.

Kharn

Does that mean its not a good thing to pick up the spoon after a SWAT demenstration?

It wouldn't be a problem to keep the spoon, or the body, either, as neither are considered a DDon their own. I still have my first pin and spoon.

The Flashbangs are considered a DD. They ship from the manufacturer on a Form 3, usually with all of the devices in the case on one Form. The debris, including the spoon or the also serial numbered cardboard tube in the actual bang body (which is usually consumed) is no longer a DD when they go off. For that matter, one that FAILS to go off isn't considered a DD, either, anymore, or at least that is what BATFE and DefTech told me when I sent one back to the factory (after render safe procedures, of course).

When a DD is consumed, the authorized owner on the Form 3 or Form 4 is supposed to notify NFA Branch in writing that the DD has been expended. BATFE generally lets LE agencies notify once a year or so, though when I got assigned to do an audit, I found over 10 years of DDs listed on our NFA records from NFA Branch, as NOBODY had ever written a destruction letter, and BATFE never noticed (they were also missing paperwork on a few of our registered MGs, but that is another story).
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
When a DD is consumed, the authorized owner on the Form 3 or Form 4 is supposed to notify NFA Branch in writing that the DD has been expended. BATFE generally lets LE agencies notify once a year or so, though when I got assigned to do an audit, I found over 10 years of DDs listed on our NFA records from NFA Branch, as NOBODY had ever written a destruction letter, and BATFE never noticed (they were also missing paperwork on a few of our registered MGs, but that is another story).

I remember you posting this a while back.  You would think BATFE would keep better track of things.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:01:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I remember you posting this a while back.  You would think BATFE would keep better track of things.

Why on Earth would you think that?!?!  It's the government isn't it?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:07:08 PM EDT
[#10]
No, Flash Bangs aren't DDs.
They are totally harmless.
That is what the ATF testified at the Waco hearings.
Chuck Schumer said "anyone who knows anything about flashbangers knows that they are completely harmless, and to suggest otherwise is negligent."
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:31:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I thought Lightfighter had some non DD training Flash Bangs? Maybe someone here will know if they still do.

Explosives laws are as silly as damn gun laws. My dad remembers buying dynamite and blasting caps for him and his dad at the local co-op in the 50's, they removed stumps and rocks for a living. Grandpa was a blaster at the marble quarry and did the other on the side. Now they have all this safe storage laws and permits to be required, it sucks.

Hell I would love to just have some good comerical blasting caps, but I think you have to have a magazine and permits to have them too. There are some stable mixes that will go off with a good cap that you could mix up and take out stumps and rocks with. Hell I just think it would be fun to play with some explosives.

I have even considered trying to get a part time job with a company here that does blasting just so I could legally get to use explosives. I have a full 4 semesters of Calculus so I guess I can help do there calculations or just lug around equipment.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:42:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have even considered trying to get a part time job with a company here that does blasting just so I could legally get to use explosives. I have a full 4 semesters of Calculus so I guess I can help do there calculations or just lug around equipment.

Handling explosives is as safe as handling a firearm as long as you follow all the safety rules.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top