Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2005 4:03:57 PM EDT
A guy in on his way to my house (and will be here in 30 minutes) with what he claims is a Mint 03A3 Remington. He wants to sell it and hasn't given me the price yet. Assuming it's mint, what's it worth if it's all original, and what it worth if it's a mint arsenal rebuild?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:07:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, that's kinda open...

If he's got DCM/CMP paperwork for it, maybe 800?

If it's an older NRA or DCM buy...check to see if it's got a star-gauged barrel (basically they're NM 03A3's)...those prices go higher.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:11:54 PM EDT
[#2]
You can get 'em from the CMP for 400.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:13:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Not a mint one with the original metal/wood finish you can't.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:16:15 PM EDT
[#4]
These guys know their shit, but I don't know if you'll have time. Post it anyway, maybe you'll be lucky.
Good luck!
www.jouster.com/cgi-bin/03/03config.pl?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:20:15 PM EDT
[#5]

You sure can. Go to the north store and pick one out. You may also order one and get lucky. Chances are you will get a mint one since they saw little action. Many who have ordered sight unseen have gotten almost mint ones. There's really no such thing as an all original surplus US military rifle. Almost all have gone through a rebuild sometime in their service life.

The CMP has recently acquired from the Army what is being reported as the last remaining significant quantity in the world.  We are pleased to offer these rifles for sale exclusively to members of CMP affiliated organizations.  This may very well be the last opportunity to purchase this piece of history.  The CMP offers the following options:

M1903 SPRINGFIELD RIFLES:

These rifles are not new from manufacturer and some have seen considerable use.  All appear to have been rebuilt at one time or another.  Many appear to not have been fired since being rebuilt.  Rifles are coated in grease or cosmoline and will require a thorough cleaning after purchase.  CMP has inspected each rifle for completeness and headspace.  Shipping and Handling $20.95 per rifle.

ITEM #
RIFLE PRICE
R030SHS  High Serial Numbered Springfield w/ S Stock  $400.00  
R030SMS  Mark 1 Springfield w/ S Stock  $400.00  
R030REMS  Remington w/ S Stock  $400.00  

M1903A3 RIFLES:

These rifles are not new from manufacturer and some have seen considerable use.  All appear to have been rebuilt at one time or another.  Many appear to not have been fired since being rebuilt. Rifles are coated in grease or cosmoline and will require a thorough cleaning after purchase.  CMP has inspected each rifle for completeness and headspace.  Shipping and Handling $20.95 per rifle.

ITEM #
RIFLE PRICE
R031REMS  Remington w/ S Stock  $400.00  

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:47:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You sure can. Go to the north store and pick one out. You may also order one and get lucky. Chances are you will get a mint one since they saw little action. Many who have ordered sight unseen have gotten almost mint ones. There's really no such thing as an all original surplus US military rifle. Almost all have gone through a rebuild sometime in their service life.

The CMP has recently acquired from the Army what is being reported as the last remaining significant quantity in the world.  We are pleased to offer these rifles for sale exclusively to members of CMP affiliated organizations.  This may very well be the last opportunity to purchase this piece of history.  The CMP offers the following options:

M1903 SPRINGFIELD RIFLES:

These rifles are not new from manufacturer and some have seen considerable use.  All appear to have been rebuilt at one time or another.  Many appear to not have been fired since being rebuilt.  Rifles are coated in grease or cosmoline and will require a thorough cleaning after purchase.  CMP has inspected each rifle for completeness and headspace.  Shipping and Handling $20.95 per rifle.

ITEM #
RIFLE PRICE
R030SHS  High Serial Numbered Springfield w/ S Stock  $400.00  
R030SMS  Mark 1 Springfield w/ S Stock  $400.00  
R030REMS  Remington w/ S Stock  $400.00  

M1903A3 RIFLES:

These rifles are not new from manufacturer and some have seen considerable use.  All appear to have been rebuilt at one time or another.  Many appear to not have been fired since being rebuilt. Rifles are coated in grease or cosmoline and will require a thorough cleaning after purchase.  CMP has inspected each rifle for completeness and headspace.  Shipping and Handling $20.95 per rifle.

ITEM #
RIFLE PRICE
R031REMS  Remington w/ S Stock  $400.00  

Not very likely. These are returns from Greece where they saw considerable use fighting commies. Mint to me means all original as produced, not an arsenal refurb.

Things to look for:

- greenish tint to the parkerizing
- small parts are blued including bolt, bbl bands, screws, etc.
- should have a straight grip non-grasping grove stock. Depending on serial #, stock may have reinforcing bolts or pins.
- inspection stamps will be a boxed FJA with the crossed cannons (2 seperate stamps) and most likely an RA. There will also be 4-6 sub-inspector stamps on the stock in front of the magazine well.

With more info about the rifle, I can be more helpful
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:56:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I paid $500 for a mint, all original 1943 '03A3 from the son of the original owner.  The original owner purchased it through the NRA in the early 50s.

It was used in the 50s and 60s a few times to hunt deer.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:27:45 PM EDT
[#8]

I ended up buying the 1903A3 and the Persian Mauser. The 03A3 looks really nice and the Persian is unfired. The 1813 French Breech Loading Musket was very interesting and strangely beautiful. The Johnson wasn't matching so I passed. I'll take some more detailed pics of the 03A3 tomorrow and post them. I know I probably overpaid for the 03A3, be the reality is I've been looking for a nice one for a few years and they are just hard to find in this condition.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:43:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks like a pretty good orig finish/cond 03A3.

My monitor blows BTW ! is it a 4.1 million serial ?

How much did he wan't for the Johnson ?? Still looking for one for my collection but they are far and few between and BIG $$$$$$
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:45:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd blur out the serial number if I were you.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:07:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

How much did he wan't for the Johnson ?? Still looking for one for my collection but they are far and few between and BIG $$$$$$

Yes it's 41406XX serial number with a 43 barrel date. It's a 2 groove barrel.

How in the hell do I get this front sight cover off?

He wanted $3000 for the Johnson. It was serial number 200X. The wood looked refinsihed on it and none of the numbers matched.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:58:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oops, maybe I didn't.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:06:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My CMP A3 finish is gray park at 98% with orginal barrel and the wood is a nice red with the cartouches. How does it shoot? At 200 yards, shooting prone, bullet holes will touch consistently.

$400. Bought 2 since my wife wanted her own for the Springfield match at Perry.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:57:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes it's 41406XX serial number with a 43 barrel date. It's a 2 groove barrel.

How in the hell do I get this front sight cover off?

He wanted $3000 for the Johnson. It was serial number 200X. The wood looked refinsihed on it and none of the numbers matched.

It is actually very uncommon to find late Rem 03A3's > 4 mil with orig finish like yours. Most in that range saw use and were refinished by RIA in an all light grey park. Deff keeper for sure.

The sight covers can be a pain esp the aftermarket ones. You can loop some electrical wire 10-12 gage through hood and use a piece of wood as a handle than hold barrel and yank/pull it off ( Wear eye protection !). Prying it off usually scratches the front sight base .
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:10:53 PM EDT
[#15]
lots of fraud in the us and german surplus market. IMO german and us weapons are not to be bought on a whim.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top