Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2005 1:11:18 PM EDT
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,169401,00.html
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:12:21 PM EDT
[#1]
NEW YORK  — Delta Air Lines Inc. (DAL), the No. 3 U.S. airline, on Wednesday filed for bankruptcy protection, brought down by high oil prices and steep competition from low-cost carriers. Rival Northwest Airlines Corp. (NWAC) was considering doing the same.

Delta, which has struggled to avoid bankruptcy for several months and had said earlier this year it did not have enough cash to meet its liquidity needs in 2005, filed for Chapter 11 protection (search) in the U.S. bankruptcy court in the Southern District of New York.

Delta became the third major U.S. airline operating under court protection, dramatizing the industry's struggle with soaring oil and competition from low-cost carriers.

The sector's woes went from bad to worse this month as refinery outages caused by Hurricane Katrina (search) sent jet fuel prices spiking. U.S. airlines are expected to post some $10 billion in losses this year.

Atlanta-based Delta's woes have been compounded by a crushing debt load of more than $20 billion and one of the industry's biggest underfunded pension burdens.

Founded in 1928, Delta became a top international player by taking over many routes from defunct Pan Am (search) in 1991. It has faced an uphill battle to recovery after getting hammered by the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks and the slowdown in flying that followed.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:13:47 PM EDT
[#2]
We were expecting it here in ATL.  Hopefully they will still honor our frequent flyer miles.  My brother and many of my friends work there.  With all the pay cuts, etc.. moral sucks pretty bad at Delta.  

Hopefully this is the beginning of the end of the nightmare they have been going thru.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:14:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
We were expecting it here in ATL.  Hopefully they will still honor our frequent flyer miles.  My brother and many of my friends work there.  With all the pay cuts, etc.. moral sucks pretty bad at Delta.  

Hopefully this is the beginning of the end of the nightmare they have been going thru.

I am still on a 3 year leave from when they downsized DFW . I just hope I keep my flight benefits.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:15:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Someone here on ARFCOM recently recommended purchasing Delta stock because it was at a multi-year low
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:18:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Someone here on ARFCOM recently recommended purchasing Delta stock because it was at a multi-year low

Today it is worth $0.  Time for a capital loss on the '05 1040.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:25:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hopefully they will still honor our frequent flyer miles.  

Restructuring FAQs About SkyMiles
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:33:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Today it is worth $0.  Time for a capital loss on the '05 1040.

Well, today it was worth something like $.87, tomorrow it will be worth a bit less, probably. And when the bankrupcy court cancels the stock it will be worthless.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:30:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Delta,the first airline to fly the Douglas DC-8,the Douglas DC-9,the Convair CV-880,the McDonnell Douglas MD-88. First to fly all American airliners then in production,the DC-8,B-707,and the CV-880. First to fly all Jumbo airliners then in production-DC-10,B-747,and the L-1011 Tristar. One of the first airlines to fly the L-100(C-130). Still a holder of the absolute speed record across the US by an airliner-9 Feb 1960,CV-880,San Diego-Jacksonville FL. 3 hrs 31 minutes 54 seconds,distance 2359 miles.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:40:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Until the airlines march in lockstep to Capitol Hill and tell Congress to get rid of the TSA, the airlines can pound sand.  I'm sorry if that's cruel and heartless, and I know the country needs the airlines, but they are losing business because many people are silently protesting the TSA and either driving or simply not traveling.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:19:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Until the airlines march in lockstep to Capitol Hill and tell Congress to get rid of the TSA, the airlines can pound sand.  I'm sorry if that's cruel and heartless, and I know the country needs the airlines, but they are losing business because many people are silently protesting the TSA and either driving or simply not traveling.

TSA might be a bunch of 'tards, but it's not that bad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top