Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2005 11:20:35 AM EDT
Roberts is FLAT OUT thesmoothest smartest debater I've EVER seen.  Clinton could smooth his way out of a question every time.  Roberts leaves you thinking " how'd he do that? "

He's just so damned smart and quick, and somehow doens't come of crass or elitist.  Seeing as this is a pure PR battle having nothing to do with the inevitable confirmation, I'd say the Dems should quit while they're behind.

Roberts is (figuratively) not even sweating over this.  He's so damned good.  I know very little about him politically, as we all do(n't) but damn you've gotta respect his debating skills.

HOLY SHNIKES - EVEN BIDEN READ MY POST!!!!!

UPODATE:  from drudge:
Biden To Roberts: 'You're The Best'

Exclusive Drudge sources in the U.S. Senate's Hart Building heard Democrat Sen. Joe Biden say to Judge John G. Roberts in a private conversation on the hearing room floor: 'You're the best I've ever seen before the committee'...
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#1]
hahah Lindsay Graham just read my post!  He praised Roberts for his 'Intellectual stamina'.....
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:35:06 AM EDT
[#2]
He has been only slightly caught off guard once in days of ferocious grilling… My guess is the nomination is not stoppable at this point.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:37:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Roberts baffles them with knowledge. He answers their questions with references to cases that they've never heard of and never considered
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:41:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Roberts baffles them with knowledge. He answers their questions with references to cases that they've never heard of and never considered

Part of that is the fact the senators dont read or study the notes that were prepared for them, or even have a grasp of what the notes are about.  Lindsey Graham the lawyer is the only one not stumbling over his own notes.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:18:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Exclusive Drudge sources in the U.S. Senate's Hart Building heard Democrat Sen. Joe Biden say to Judge John G. Roberts in a private conversation on the hearing room floor: 'You're the best I've ever seen before the committee'...
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:21:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

White flag just went up...

The Democrats have never really has a chance against Roberts except finding some scandal, Robert KKK Byrd has been actually pushing for Roberts confirmation.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:24:09 PM EDT
[#7]
If I hadn't posted this myself 'd accuse me of making that up!  It's on drudge!!!!  ( Big time PR nightmare for biden if this goes further!)
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:30:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I was watching some of the replays last night.  He really is smooth.  He handled Ted Kennedy very well.  I was impressed with how Roberts was citing case law to back up his positions.  He knows his stuff.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:46:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I hope he does honor to the memory of Ronald Reagan. O'Connor was..............disappointing.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:49:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:57:52 PM EDT
[#11]
but even more amazing about the fellow - He does not use notes!  Did you notice?  He had (or has) dislexia and therefor has always worked from reading knowledge base.  Pretty damn amazing - let along his possibly appointment to the SC.

Also - remember - He is working as a lone gunman against Kennedy and his ilk.  The Senators have a large staffs of people working the angles and feeding the talking points to each Senator.  Roberts (although I am sure has some coaces et al) is working from his own cranium at all time!

excellent television compared to all the other sheit we have been seeing lately!  How on gods green earth do you fine people from Mass keep sending Kennedy to the capitol?  That feucker is a loon!

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:59:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Not to mention, he's funny.  He was actually making witty remarks during his testimony.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:02:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
but even more amazing about the fellow - He does not use notes!  Did you notice?  He had (or has) dislexia and therefor has always worked from reading knowledge base.  Pretty damn amazing - let along his possibly appointment to the SC.

Also - remember - He is working as a lone gunman against Kennedy and his ilk.  The Senators have a large staffs of people working the angles and feeding the talking points to each Senator.  Roberts (although I am sure has some coaces et al) is working from his own cranium at all time!

excellent television compared to all the other sheit we have been seeing lately!  How on gods green earth do you fine people from Mass keep sending Kennedy to the capitol?  That feucker is a loon!

My wife is from Mass. and her and her family are staunch republicans.  I give them hell all the time about the Kennedy's.  It's starts out as pushing their buttons and then I find myself getting increasingly agitated.  Pretty soon I realize that I've just pissed MYSELF off.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:13:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:25:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I agree completely with the positive assessments of Roberts's abilities posted here.

I would just like to add that it should not be difficult to beat those morons in the Dem. party who insist on asking dumb ass trick questions in a obvious attempt to trip him up.Intelligence, (which he obviously possesses), as well as a very large command of case law will easily defeat their piss-poor "tricky question foo".
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:25:14 PM EDT
[#16]
The Dems' "tricky question foo" is weak.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Part of that is the fact the senators dont read or study the notes that were prepared for them, or even have a grasp of what the notes are about.  Lindsey Graham the lawyer is the only one not stumbling over his own notes.

I'm not sure that all of our senators can EVEN read w/ some of the stupid shit they try
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:18:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Judge Roberts is one of the very reasons I voted for President Bush.  The man is a genious.  I wish we could clone him and run him in '08.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:21:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:24:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The Dems' "tricky question foo" is weak.

A big plus one on that!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:28:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:24:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:46:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Roberts isn't the fight.

The next one will be the real fight.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:49:13 AM EDT
[#24]
I guarantee that Biden will still vote NO.  He is running for President in 2008 and he'll never get the nomination if the People for the American Way, NARAL, MoveOn.org, and all the other groups are pissed at him.

The interesting confirmation will be the next nominee
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:52:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Fellas, making senators look like pompous imbeciles during hearings/debates isn't necessarily what I'd call "difficult."

Especially for someone with experience and atleast a little bit of intelligence.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:55:14 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Roberts isn't the fight.

The next one will be the real fight.

Absolutely. Remember, Roberts originally was to replace the traditionally moderate Sandra Day O'Connor. Now, he's slated to replace a staunch conservative. The Dems really aren't losing anything by confirming Roberts. If Roberts turns out to be another Souter, they actually WIN.

The replacement for O'Connor is the real battle.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:04:53 AM EDT
[#27]
I bet he kicks ass on jeopardy.

I find it amazing how well he can recall all of the court cases from off the top of his head.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:32:27 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I find it amazing how well he can recall all of the court cases from off the top of his head.

That's nice and all, but personally I would prefer to hear him be a little more positive in his answers about issues.

Right now I am not sure what this guy will do when put on the court.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:39:21 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's nice and all, but personally I would prefer to hear him be a little more positive in his answers about issues.

Right now I am not sure what this guy will do when put on the court.

I would say that because he said that SCOTUS duty is deciding what laws are constitutional or not, not what law they can create to correct some kind of injustice speaks volumes.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:43:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Remember, this guy has argued before the supreme court 39 TIMES. The stakes don't get any higher than that. All these idiot democrats have ever done is convince welfare queens to keep voting for them. How friggin hard is that when you've been voting them free money for 40 years?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:57:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:20:10 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

The reason is simple:

Roberts has made a career based on his intellect, and his intellect has brought him into the chair he now occupies.

Politicians arrive at their station in life based on cunning and reflecting their constituency.  Considering the constituency of the usual suspect Democratic senators involved... these hearings were never a level playing field.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:00:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Roberts/Rumsfeld '08.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:46:26 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Roberts/Rumsfeld '08.

This man is about to achieve a position more powerful and important than the Presidency, and one he will hold untill he diecides to leave...

Why would he run?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top