Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/14/2005 10:32:53 AM EDT
I am recently divorced & looking for something fun that my son & I can do together. I have always wanted to have an ATV but having been married many yrs & unable to afford one due to my ex's ability to miss manage money I never could.

Now divorced for nearly 6 months I can get one. I have 1K saved, & will have 3 K by the end of December.

I went to a place in town today that sells Yamaha's & took a gander. I'm thinking maybe the Bruin 350 or the Kodiak 400. I know almost nothing about them & don't want to rush in & make a mistake. I'm not a salesman so if I have to unload it to buy something new, I will probably lose money.

I want to use it to hunt & camp with my almost 8 yr old son. I might get him a Grizzly 80. They had 3 but said I couldn't buy one of them as they all belonged to Chuck Norris. They said he came in about a month ago & ordered 15 of them! I know he has a ranch about 35 miles from here, so they must be for kids & grand kids.

Anyway any help in the start of getting what I want without getting to much or to little will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:33:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Honda.

That's all you need to know.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:34:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Are they the best? Why?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:36:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Are they the best? Why?

Trust us, they are
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:38:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Are they the best? Why?

Bullet proof. Run forever. Almost never need work (if you do the simple maintenence)

If you run out of gas, you can just pee in the gas tank. OK, that's an exaggeration.

But every Honda motorcycle and ATV I've ever seen just simply runs.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:47:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Another for HONDA.  That 80 will not keep him occupied for long.  You might want to go bigger from the get go. Unless you are going in real deep into the woods you really dont need a 4x4.  A 2 wheel drive model has go me into and out of anywhere that I have wanted to go.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:48:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Honda is the way to go. You dont need a 4x4 if you are just going to go out and run around though.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:50:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I have two Arctic Cats that I love ... I prefer the more aggressive suspension and power.

But I must agree, you absolutely cannot go wrong with a Honda.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:51:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I vote for a narrowed and shortened Jeep Wagoneer.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:52:11 AM EDT
[#9]
The Green Honda's are faster

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:59:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Another for HONDA.  That 80 will not keep him occupied for long.  You might want to go bigger from the get go. Unless you are going in real deep into the woods you really dont need a 4x4.  A 2 wheel drive model has go me into and out of anywhere that I have wanted to go.

+1

Honda is great choice.   An 80 is pretty small and he will outgrow it too fast.  Get a larger model and just adjust the throttle limiter/governor so he can't go too fast.

EPOCH
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:05:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Save time shopping around. Avoid aggravation down the road. Buy a Honda.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:13:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I might just skip getting one for him for a while & let him ride behind me on mine. Is this viable, or would it be difficult over rough tarain?

As to the Honda, anyone have a specific modle they would recomend for a beginer? I do want it on O.D. green, but that's just cosmetic so not that important.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:15:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I like the Foreman and HATE the Rancher(vibrates too much)....

The Foreman is a very good entry level ATV.

CORECTION: it's the RECON I dont like, the RANCHER is an excellent bike. Great entry level bike.

Quoted:
I might just skip getting one for him for a while & let him ride behind me on mine. Is this viable, or would it be difficult over rough tarain?

As to the Honda, anyone have a specific modle they would recomend for a beginer? I do want it on O.D. green, but that's just cosmetic so not that important.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:39:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:42:17 AM EDT
[#15]
I got a 2005 honda racher last year.  I have put 2000 miles in with 0 problems.

Honda is money well spent.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:43:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Wow it looks like so far the word is Honda. I just added a poll for the heck of it to see what I would see, but so far it's Honda in the lead.

I looked up a Honda site, & they have so many models I'm really kinda confused. I would love to get a deal like EdAvila's!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Suzuki and if i am not mistaken they manufacture the motor for the Artic Cat
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:57:31 AM EDT
[#18]
the only thing i have ever had an issue with honda is they are awfully proud of them$$$$
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:00:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The Green Honda's are faster

tinypic.com/doospk.jpg

And more tactical.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:00:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Suzuki and if i am not mistaken they manufacture the motor for the Artic Cat

Yes, most of the engines are Suzuki (both of mine have Suzuki engines) but the new V-Twin ATV they sell has a Kawsaki engine.

Those engines, paired with an excellent independant suspension .... no place they cannot go. They are more powerfull also.

I think suzuki owns a piece of them .... my details might not be 100% accurate.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:03:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I looked up a Honda site, & they have so many models I'm really kinda confused. I would love to get a deal like EdAvila's!

As with guns, the deciding factor is in what you want it to do.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:04:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I use mine to work (pulling deer out,planting food plots for deer and riding around) not to race,but mine does easily 65 MPH and I am very happy with it.

Reminds me of he T-shirt ...

"The older I get, the faster I was."

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Honda Foreman.

Sheep
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:08:27 PM EDT
[#24]
I bought the Yamaha Bruin 350 and love it.  Plenty of power for two people to ride on.  You never need 4 wheel drive.  All automatic is a nice feature as well.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:12:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I have one of these (Kawasaki Brute Force 650 Camo).

I never thought I'd own a Kawasaki (yamaha guy) ,  but I liked the Brute Force over others in it's class.  It hauls me, my wife and 3 year old around with ease and comfort.

ETA:  IMO, it's also the first non-shitty looking ATV that Kawasaki has ever made.  Nice lines.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:17:23 PM EDT
[#26]
So why would I want a smaller engine like a 300 over a bigger engine like a 650 or 700?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:22:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Weight, cost, ease of handeling etc...  Bigger is NOT allways better.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:22:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Another vote for Honda.  I've owned 2 Honda dirt bikes in the past and currently own 2 Honda ATVs (Rancher 350 and Recon 250) . Never had any major problems with them.  I started out on a Honda 50 minibike.  We got it used after 3 boys had learned to ride on it.  It went through the three kids in our family and was still running fine when it was sold.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:24:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
So why would I want a smaller engine like a 300 over a bigger engine like a 650 or 700?

The 300-4?? class machines will generally be cheaper, lighter, smaller, and burn less gas.  A 350 or 400 something machine would probably serve you just fine.  I'd get the 4X4 version unless you will only be running on flat dry ground.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:26:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Yamaha

Wolverine 350

Wolverine 450
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:27:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Polaris!

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:32:11 PM EDT
[#32]
I bought a Honda rancher 350 4x4 used. I love it. Plenty powerful and I live in the hills of WV. Can't imagine needing more power. Put it thru hell and it never hiccups. Just change the oil every year or so. Get one used
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:32:48 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The 300-4?? class machines will generally be cheaper, lighter, smaller, and burn less gas.  A 350 or 400 something machine would probably serve you just fine.  I'd get the 4X4 version unless you will only be running on flat dry ground.

I want to use it for hunting, camping & trail riding. Probably mostly in Texas, but I want to live in Alaska & may move to Wi, or Rapid City to escape the ex's influence on my son.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:34:18 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

yeah, what gaudian said ....

and they cost less, more bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So why would anyone buy the bigger engine?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:42:37 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The same reason folks buy a 458 win mag to hunt whitetail deer ...... (small penis syndrome).

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:44:52 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The same reason folks buy a 458 win mag to hunt whitetail deer ...... (small penis syndrome).

Theres got to be more of a reason than that isn't there?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Compensating for..............
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:47:48 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Theres got to be more of a reason than that isn't there?

Seriously ... I guess they do haul more and have a ton of power.  It's why some folks have HUGE full size pickups with HUGE engines. Those advantages are more usefull in a street vehicle. But not on a ATV. the larger ones are 2 to 3k more, I just dont see why anyone would need one.

I'm a big guy and I have a Arctic Cat 400 4x4 auto ...... it does EVERYTHING I could imagine I would ever need it for.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:47:49 PM EDT
[#40]
I recently was in the market for an ATV, so I borrowed a friend's honda to go dune riding. It was a rancher 350 or 400 something like that, I don't exactly recall. It was bright yellow and had selectable 4wd/2wd. The thing didn't even have enough power to carry me up a sand dune in 4wd low gear. A great many dunes I had to slide my way around instead of climbing them. It was fast as hell across open ground but climbing stuff it SUCKS. I took a spin on my dad's polaris sportsman 400, it is also automatic and has selectable 4wd/2wd. It went up and down those dunes like nothing was wrong. I ended up buying a 2005 Polaris Sportsman 400. I've heard people complain about polaris's reliability issues and whatnot, but my dad's is a 1995, and aside from routine maintenance, he has never had a problem with it. Keep on top of the maintenance and they're damn good ATV's. Like a submarine on wheels when it comes to river riding. Way too much fun.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:50:08 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cheaper-check
Lighter-Not by much.
Smaller-Maybe but how big a boy are you?
Less gas-Think EFI and it will be thrifty!

Suzuki King Quad 700 gets in the 25 mpg range, weighs 600 Lbs. and costs about what the 500 class machines do.

The Kodiak 400 is still available but the new Kodiak 450 is IRS and is one of the best mid range ATV's.

Here is a pic of LittleDozer on the King!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:54:10 PM EDT
[#42]
You can't go wrong with Honda or Yamaha.  I've owned both as long as I've been riding, and I still have a couple of each.  
For what you are going to be doing, the Yamaha Kodiak would be the best value. Spend the extra $300 and get the 450 instead of the 400.  You get independent front and rear suspension, pushbutton locking differential, high and low range, and pushbutton 4wd.  You will not find that on a Honda near that price.  You will appreciate the independent rear suspension!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:55:36 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Seriously ... I guess they do haul more and have a ton of power.  It's why some folks have HUGE full size pickups with HUGE engines. Those advantages are more usefull in a street vehicle. But not on a ATV. the larger ones are 2 to 3k more, I just dont see why anyone would need one.

I'm a big guy and I have a Arctic Cat 400 4x4 auto ...... it does EVERYTHING I could imagine I would ever need it for.

Careful there.....................

In reality I didn't NEED the 650cc's of power, but I got it and I like the extra gogo.  Like I stated earlier, Me, my wife and 3 year old like to ride together (slowly).  A 400 class machine could probably handle it (400lbs),  but the 650 handles the load very well and safer IMO.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:56:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Go Honda or go home.
No doubt about it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:59:36 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Careful there.....................

In reality I didn't NEED the 650cc's of power, but I got it and I like the extra gogo.  Like I stated earlier, Me, my wife and 3 year old like to ride together (slowly).  A 400 class machine could probably handle it (400lbs),  but the 650 handles the load very well and safer IMO.

Correction .... I just dont see why I would need one  

I'm one to talk, Im putting a Pontiac 455 in my '79 Jeep Cherokee ....
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:00:08 PM EDT
[#46]
I own a Polaris Sportsman 400, the 2005 model. I ride it every day. Every one of the people that lives on my little mountain ridge has an ATV. All but two of them have a Polaris. Everyone rides their ATVs almost every day. They get used, and used hard. You probably wouldn't believe some of the things we do to them. I have yet to see a Polaris suffer a mechanical failure that wasn't caused by ramming into a tree at 40MPH, or flipping over a snow bank and down a ravine. There are a lot of things I like about the Polaris that set it above other ATVs. On the 2005 model for example, the front rack opens and has storage inside. There are even a couple drain plugs in the bottom so it can be used as a cooler. The racks are more functional and modular than on other ATVs. The suspension system on a Polaris is sweet. It stands alone among other ATVs and is in my opinion, by far the nicest ride. Suspension is critical for an ATV. The 400 model is more than adequate for pretty much any purpose. It's got plenty of power, and doesn't burn out drive belts(drive belts wear on ATVs, it's normal) as fast as bigger engines. As was stated before, bigger isn't always better. You would be just fine with a 400. I don't have a picture of my Polaris, but I'll post one from their web site.
No matter what brand you get, as long as it's a major brand, you'll be fine, don't worry too much about it. The Hondas are nice too, but I know a guy that got rid of his because he had so many mechanical problems. I'm sure that's rare, but no type is perfect. Good luck, I'm excited for you to get one. They're great machines.

Here is one that is for sale on E-bay
This is not mine.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:08:37 PM EDT
[#47]
I have a Honda Rincon and love it.  I am 6'1" and 265lbs.  It has no trouble whatsoever pulling any of the hills here in Eastern KY and let me tell ya folks, we got some hills!

The independent suspension provides for a smoother ride than my Dad's foreman, but you don't get as much engine braking from the Rincon because of the automatic transmission.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:53:35 PM EDT
[#48]
The only problem you will have with the bigger machines are that they are very heavy and can be a handful on a twisty trail.  I have a TRX250ex just because its small and I can literally throw it around the trails.  Its plenty fast but I do top it out quite often and wish I had more horses.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:13:31 PM EDT
[#49]
i've always rode Yamahas, never had a problem with them. Also have a friend that works for the Honda plant......he rides a Yamaha  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:24:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top