Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2005 8:40:10 AM EDT
I have a year old Dell running Windows XP and when I boot it up it seems forever to get up and running.  I know with Windows 95 there was a combo of keys you could hit and find out what programs were running and how to disable them.  I have run Spybot as well as Ad-Aware and still the system is running slow.  Also, when I go to shut down I get several of those small "end program" screens, (sorry I have not written down the names of the programs).  Can anyone offer me any assitance on how to shut down un needed programs to speed my system back up?  Sorry if I am not being clear, I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to computers.  Thank-you in advance.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:41:53 AM EDT
[#1]
ctrl + Alt + del
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:43:23 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
ctrl + Alt + del

Then click "task manager" then click the "processes" tab.

If you google the names of the files you should get an idea of what they are used for.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:43:51 AM EDT
[#3]
In your desktop, press "Ctrl-Alt-Del", select Task manager.

Now look through the list of "Image Names". Click on "Mem Usage" so that it sorts from highest memory usage down to the lowest.

You may not recognize any of these, but this is the page to use to check out WTF is running.

Also check your registry and Startup folder.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:45:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Go to Start | Run
Type 'msconfig' and hit enter
the far right tab should say 'startup' go there and uncheck any programs that you dont want to run on startup.

p.s. windows has always had a problem of getting slower as it goes. It might be time to back up your files and then wipe your system and reinstall. this usally speeds it up quite a bit.

hope this helps,
Derek
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:46:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys for the fast response, will print out the info and give it a shot.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:47:59 AM EDT
[#6]
a couple programs to help you out

xblock scroll down and click download

hijackfree   just uncheck what you don't want to load on startup.      similar to     MSCONFIG

ewido
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:49:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I sure as heck didn't want to call Dell and get to talk to Ahpoo in India!!!!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top