Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2005 8:11:06 AM EDT
I just moved to a house that has a 40' x 40' basement.

What is a good quality air rifle?  What is the lowest amount of money I can spend and still buy something worth owning?

I prefer made in USA or europe.

THANKS
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Beeman...you can get a nice one for around $250 w/ a scope.  My buddy has had one for years, and it's still  going strong.  

Some of the Gamos are supposed to be pretty nice, but I don't have any personal experience with any of them, other than shooting my buddy's occasionally.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:31:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:42:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Gamo Varmint Hunter, which is based on their Shadow series. I have nothing but good things to say about it,. The Shadow rifles are .17 @ 1,000, two-stage accurate, and reliable, and cost between $190 and $300, depending on configuration. They also come with a two-stage adjustable trigger. You can skip the scope-mounted flashlight an laser of the Varmint Hunter, however, and go with either a regular scope or just irons.

You might like this:

http://www.gamo-airguns.com/air-rifle-shadow-1000-combo.htm

The limited edition NRA rifle is based on the Shadow series and should cost no more than $250.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:58:29 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are shooting indoors, you probably don't need a high powered spring-piston air rifle like some of the beemans, gamos or rws.

Actually, if the trigger were better, I would unreservedly recommend the Daisy/Avanti 853 series of pneumatic guns.

They are accurate, fairly quiet, vibration free, shoot around 450 fps and can be scoped.  But they come with very useable if cheaply made click adjustable match/aperture sights.  

Basically, it is a poor mans target air rifle for about $180.  

You really don't need anything more for indoor punching of targets.  I take a priority mail box, slide 2-3 newspapers into it, and have an dirt cheap pellet trap.

Plus, if you wanted to use the lighter lead-free pellets, you wouldn't have to worry about wrecking your spring-driven powerplant.

For pistols, the IZH 46M is on my list but I haven't picked one up yet.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:15:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I really like my RWS Diana model 34.

I finally decided to get a grown-up's air rifle.  It is not the cheapest nor the most expensive but it is .22 and is damn accurate with both the irons and the RWS scope I put on it.

I got it to punch paper in the basement and for varmit control in the backyard.  Among other things I have killed two raccoons with it.

I should have bought one a long time ago.

By the way if you get one do not put a regular rifle scope on it.  If I remember correctly an air rifle can screw up a scope that is not designed for an air rifle.

Seydou
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:19:54 PM EDT
[#6]
tag
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top