Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2005 6:31:01 PM EDT
Here's the situation. I've got 2 bathrooms that drain to a common drain pipe. I think the common drain pipe is clogged as my shower in my master bath fills up with waste water when I drain the tub in my main bathroom.

I tried a snake but I don't think it's making the turn I want it to take, in other words it's turning up toward the other bathroom rather than down, where the clog is.

I'm looking for a recommendation on a liquid drain cleaner at this point, before I call a plumber. Any specific brands work well? Who's got experience with this?

TIA
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:33:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Try hot water first if you have any flow at all.  If it helps follow with boiling water...the more the better.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't overlook calcium (and other mineral) deposits.

My bathroom sink would always clog and none of the drain treatments would help much.  I was advised to plunger out all the water (force it over the elbow) and use CLR to break up the deposits and it worked.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:36:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Use those products ONLY if the water is draining. Otherwise if you call a plumber he/she finds out you put that stuff in the drain, they will charge you extra because the chemcials eat up the plumbing snakes.  I put this stuff in my drain when it drains slowly, but never when it is just plain stopped up.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:37:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Use those products ONLY if the water is draining. Otherwise if you call a plumber he/she finds out you put that stuff in the drain, they will charge you extra because the chemcials eat up the plumbing snakes.  I put this stuff in my drain when it drains slowly, but never when it is just plain stopped up.

Yes not to mention that shit burns like a mofo when you have to dig through that water to get something.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:38:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Home Depot sells a industrial strength drain cleaner. I use it on my tub drain when it starts to get slow with hair and body goo. Home Depot version is cheaper but comes in a gallon jug.
The "thick" Draino that comes in the black bottle does the same job too.
ETA: follow the directions on the bottle!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:38:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Their success depends on the type of clog.  They get Hair/muck clogs, but object blockages are not even touched (obviously).  Be sure of what it is.  Also, they only work if they are in contact with the clog for enough time, ergo if it's in a trap.  If it's an incomplete clog (slow runner) in a long straight run the liquid may run right past it...
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:39:20 PM EDT
[#7]
The water drains slowly, but it does drain.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:40:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Can you try snaking it from the roof vents?  Maybe an elbow there that will allow the snake go straight towards the clog.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:42:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't have a cleanout below the bad area?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:45:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Can you try snaking it from the roof vents?  Maybe an elbow there that will allow the snake go straight towards the clog.

Quoted:

This is in a condominium. No access to that.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:46:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Are all those chemicals safe for modern pipes?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:47:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is in a condominium. No easy access to that.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:50:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Pour a lot of clorox down the drains. Rotor Rooter guy told me that years go. After clearing, drop a cup or so in monthly
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:51:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm not sure how well Drano works, I'm almost convinced its not nearly as good as they claim.  I had a friend who drank a bottle of Drano.  He lived and has a variety of problems but nevertheless he lives just fine.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:10:31 PM EDT
[#15]
It's probably just a big turd...  just let it be  It doesn't sound like drano will work but it's worth a try.   Can you go through the sink drain maybe with the snake..  like at the elbow?  Good luck
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:23:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Home Depot sells a industrial strength drain cleaner. I use it on my tub drain when it starts to get slow with hair and body goo. Home Depot version is cheaper but comes in a gallon jug.
The "thick" Draino that comes in the black bottle does the same job too.
ETA: follow the directions on the bottle!

+1, I use the same stuff, it's 1/2 to 1/3 of the price, and works better..

I usually let it sit for about 1/2 hour for a slow drain, then rinse with very hot water for 5 minutes or so, treat again if needed..
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:10:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I've had good luck with the balloon end attachment you hook to a hose and pressure blast the crap out. The water pressure makes the balloon expand and seals the hose into the drain and the pressure build-up blasts the crap out. As you have a sink also hooked to the drain, you will have to cap the drain so the water pressure will be forced down through the gunk to blast it out.

Only costs about $10 at Home Depot.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:22:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Most draino type chemicals are either bleach or Lye.  If you have metallic pipes in the system you can do damage long term using them unless you run lots and lots of water after using them.
As for the snake you are probably getting caught up in the bends of the waste and overflow setup of the tub when you try to snake it. try removing the overflow cover and drain mechanism and snake through there rather than down through the drain. A clog buster or pressure bag (bladder type clog remover) will be difficult to employ with vent pipes and over flows near by a better choice might be an shop vac used on the drain or overflow pipe with the other plugged up as tight as you can. Some tub or shower stall setups employ a "can trap' rather than the usual p-trap in which case the trap wil have to be located , exposed and opened  before the line can be cleared.

Do the toilets flushing in the affected bathrooms have any effect ? how about the lav sinks ? can you maybe cable from one of those..  either bight be backed up as well without you noticing it yet....

BTW beware the plumbing supply store "dranos" like "mule kick" or " Hot Shot" as they tend to be concentrated sulfuric acid and can be extremely dangerous to use, to pipes, as well as to You besides unless you can get a drain product right to the clog itself its effectiveness is of course reduced.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:28:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Try some of the build up removers instead of the drain cleaners.  I've had great luck over the years with the stuff.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:39:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Do the hot water deal....follow with plunger if necessary. Job done.  NO cost.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:47:51 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Do the hot water deal....

Boiling hot water from the stove works wonders!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:01:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Forget Draino and Liquid Plumber. Go to your local commercial plumbing supply store and ask them for a drain cleaner called Mule Kick. That is the shet. Thay may make you sign a release of liability, the place I buy it does. You have to be careful with it, but it will clear your drains.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:07:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Worked for Jeffery Dahmer.  Can work for you too!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:08:20 AM EDT
[#24]
when that happened to us and the liquid plumber didn't work, I plunged the hell out of the shower drain, been running great ever since.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:22:33 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
when that happened to us and the liquid plumber didn't work, I plunged the hell out of the shower drain, been running great ever since.

+1 on plunger method.

Plug the other drains and fill all sinks and the tubs with water. Plunge away.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top