User Panel

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:28:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:34:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Another idiotic, bullshit lawsuit.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:40:09 PM EDT
[#3]

In May, the city of Boston agreed to a $5 million wrongful death settlement with Snelgrove's family. As part of the agreement, the city cooperated in the suit against FN Herstal and will receive half of any award, up to $2 million.

wtf kind of attitude is that. the city should know damn well fn had nothing to do with it. unless the clearly misrepresented the product..which i doubt.

when are companies going to realize they have to stop selling to people and places that perpetuate this crap.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:40:28 PM EDT
[#4]

In May, the city of Boston agreed to a $5 million wrongful death settlement with Snelgrove's family. As part of the agreement, the city cooperated in the suit against FN Herstal and will receive half of any award, up to $2 million.

WTF!?!?

Boston PD kills the broad and FN is to blame?

It would be cool if FN told the city of Boston to fuck off a la Ronnie Barrett if the city is going to sue their suppliers.

ETA: Damn. torstin beat me by 19 seconds!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:40:37 PM EDT
[#5]
If FN said said their pepper-spray pellets wouldn't break the skin and couldn't cause serious injury and they in fact they can break the skin and cause death, and that misrepresentation played a role in bringing about the young woman's death, this is not another idiotic bullshit lawsuit.  

IF that's the case, FN deserves to be sued, and they deserve to lose.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:44:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If FN said said their pepper-spray pellets wouldn't break the skin and couldn't cause serious injury and they in fact they can break the skin and cause death, and that misrepresentation played a role in bringing about the young woman's death, this is not another idiotic bullshit lawsuit.  

The lady was shot in the eye and the pepper pellet/bb/ball whatever entered her brain killing her. From what I heard, the police were mishandling the weapons and not using them as intended. They are not supposed to be shot at an unprotected person's face.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:47:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

FN should have a "fine print" section in there somewhere about "Do not fire into eyes, throat, etc. or serious injury/death may occur". I'd be highly surprised if that isn't the case.

If any given product is misused then there can be consequences, whether it's a spoon, asprin or "less-than-lethal" ammunition.

If FN mans up and tackles this lawsuit head-on then I'll go out and buy my first ever FN product in support (this includes telling the city in question to FOAD).

If they cave then I'll never buy one of their products and go so far as to steer others away from them.

I'm sick of these yellow-bellied shits pissing all over themselves at the sign of danger.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:47:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Jesus t*tty f*cking christ... the nonsense just doesn't end.  

I'm STILL waiting for someone to sue Ford because some lowlife ran over their kid or something... but does THAT ever happen???  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:48:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Here we go again.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:51:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:54:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:54:51 PM EDT
[#12]
What happened to the much-ballyhooed bill that protected firearms manufacturers from frivolous lawsuits?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
What happened to the much-ballyhooed bill that protected firearms manufacturers from frivolous lawsuits?

Not a firearm? Just a guess.
Stupid lawsuit just the same.

That said, I am not a fan of less lethal force. There are larger ramifications to its use than injuries and lawsuits.
It's all about control.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:02:15 PM EDT
[#14]
This product is not a firearm.

You can buy and own one without an FFL.

It's basically a glorified paintball gun.

CRC
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:04:25 PM EDT
[#15]
It probably doesn't cover gross neglacence or whatever... the bill wasn't a total immunity card.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:07:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Like suing Stanford Pecils, for all of those eyes poked out
by trusty old #2s.....  Stupid.

myit
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:07:20 PM EDT
[#17]
From FN's website:

What is the recommended shooting distance ?

In order to increase efficiency, it is recommended to aim at a suspect at a distance of 30 meters.
This is the effective distance which ensures an optimum efficiency at the impact. Never aim at the face.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
This product is not a firearm.

You can buy and own one without an FFL.

It's basically a glorified paintball gun.

CRC

You are not to use the gun above the torso, and it is meant for singaling out people, not crowed control.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:19:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The lady was shot in the eye and the pepper pellet/bb/ball whatever entered her brain killing her. From what I heard, the police were mishandling the weapons and not using them as intended. They are not supposed to be shot at an unprotected person's face.

Back when this shit happened, "Mumbles" Menino (mayor of Boston), almost immediately apologized and admitted some liability and responsibility on the part of the police department and promised a quick uncontested settlement.

Shortly after that, the city began looking at FN Herstal as a potential litigant: one, to recoup at least part of the settlement Boston paid out, and two; to deflect from the role the Boston PD played in the incident.

From the article...

"The suit also claimed FN Herstal didn't adequately train officers when to use the guns. As a result, officers were confused and didn't understand the effects of firing a round".

What role FN had in the training and what information they gave the PD hasn't been publicized yet.

From what I understand, the pepperballs are supposed to be directed at a persons chest or at hard immobile objects so that the chemicals inside the pellet can be released.

What happened in this situation was that the girl was bending down at the time when she happened to be struck in the eye with the pepperball.

It's hard to say who's really at fault here. The night the incident happened there was a crowd of several thousand college students packed in a very small area whooping it up, overturning cars, starting fires, etc. The situation was getting way out of control, the police attempted to disperse the crowds and one person died as a result.

I really don't see any negligence on the part of the police or FN.

It was just one of those tragic accidents and being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:22:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Jesus H Christ
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:33:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Shortly after that, the city began looking at FN Herstal as a potential litigant: one, to recoup at least part of the settlement Boston paid out, and two; to deflect from the role the Boston PD played in the incident.

typical pass the buck,blame somebody else,  bullshite. Of course two words in there explain it all,'''Boston & PD'''
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:41:35 PM EDT
[#22]
*sigh*

Usual bullshit, usual suspects. I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top