Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2005 12:56:06 PM EDT
Members of the once great Jefferson Airplane wrote "We Built This City", apparently after selling their souls to a digital devil. Robert Plant - one of the greatest rock vocalists ever - felt it necessary to fuck the listening public in the ass with "Now and Zen". Jimmy Page desecrated one of his own songs when him and "Diddy" performed Kashmir together. He even collaborated with that Whitesnake asshole for a whole fucking album. Eric Clapton appears to have forgotten how to play the guitar, or fire a producer who is evidently deaf. George Harrison had his "heart set on" synthesized crap, processed within an inch of it's life. Paul McCartney thought singing "Pipes of Peace" with Michael Jackson was something that should be commited to tape. ZZ Top doesn't think music sounds good anymore, unless a 55 gallon drum of reverb is dumped on it. I actually paid money to watch Seal (remember him?) rap in the middle of "Fly Like an Eagle", at a Steve Miller concert. The members of Pink Floyd seem hell bent on making us forget what a drum kit actually sounds like. Geddy Lee actually endorses the idea of linking digital "intruments" together (MIDI), recording this horseshit, and attempting to sell the result. Thank God Jimi Hendrix died before he had a chance to fuck anything up. Yes went from recording some of the most complex and articulate music in rock history, to "Owner of a Loney Heart". How the hell did that happen?

Don't get me started on Metallica.

I want to know: What happened to these people? Why do people sober up, gain a few years, and then feel it necessary to butcher everything I hold dear? Is their hearing shot? Do they forget how to say "NO, that sounds like nails on a chalkboard?" Are they lazy? Are they trying to hold onto their careers by appealing to current trends? WTF?

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:53:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Rock and roll is a YOUNG man's business, my son.  Anyone over 30 can't make it by default, with very few exceptions.  

I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said, but I would have called most of those bands lame even in their heydey lol.    

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:59:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:11:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Tom Petty can still rock, so can John Fogherty, so can John Mellencamp. Now, as to if these guys are "greats of rock" there may be a lot of doubt...BUT it shows that an old guy can still put on a hell of a show.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:18:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmmm, three anti-gun left-wing commie liberal democrat shitstains.

The Scorpions still rock!

Quoted:
Tom Petty can still rock, so can John Fogherty, so can John Mellencamp. Now, as to if these guys are "greats of rock" there may be a lot of doubt...BUT it shows that an old guy can still put on a hell of a show.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's another take on it:

Modern rock is so crappy that the attention on the old rockers never went away so they see an opportunity to make money and go for it.

If you retired and someone offered you MORE money then what you were making before retirement wouldn't you take the opportunity?

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:22:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, and whatever happened the other greats like "New Kids on the Block" and "MC Hammer". They rocked like nobody's business.

You forgot
Aerosmith... the sold out during the beginning of the rap era.
Queen... for letting Vanilla ICe use Under Pressure to make the only song he was known for.

Diddy? Does he actually have a song on any of his albums that doesn't contain a sample from someone else's work. Come to think of it... any "rapper" and/or R&B "musician"?

Music pretty much sucks anymore. I haven't bought an album in at least five years. I was on a downloading kick for a few months a while back and I think I got every bit of music I ever wanted to hear... and now that I've heard it all so much and nothing else is really good I barely even turn on my radio.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:23:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Hmmm...I thought Now and Zen was quite good, as was the Coverdale/Page album.

Rush just plain gets better and better with every year I see them live.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:33:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Queen... for letting Vanilla ICe use Under Pressure to make the only song he was known for.

Uh... no.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:34:11 PM EDT
[#9]
It's a little more than that.  Once you sign the Record Company contract, you are bound to make them money.  You *have* to sell out.

Major labels will not subsidize artsy, non-mainstream music.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:36:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Neil Young is still kicking ass.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:37:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe there's such a thing as TOO MUCH sex, drugs and rock 'n roll. Look at Ozzie.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:39:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Niel Young could use as ass kicking.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:50:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:12:39 PM EDT
[#14]
IMO, modern rock has been in a tailspin since suffering through the grunge, AKA, my life sucks and there's no way out, period of the 1990s.

I miss the old rockers, who are now, well, old...or dead. When I was growing up (say 1964 through 1984,) rock was in it's heyday; I miss that era. Rock transformed itself many times as tastes changed, but the music was good...well, except for disco.

Since the early 90s, I think it's been...well....dull.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:51:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Maybe there's such a thing as TOO MUCH sex, drugs and rock 'n roll. Look at Ozzie.

and those two kids he made.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:54:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Went to a concert in Atlantic City this summer to see Plant and he still kicks ass.  So does page.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:55:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Rock and roll is a YOUNG man's business, my son.  Anyone over 30 can't make it by default, with very few exceptions.  

I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said, but I would have called most of those bands lame even in their heydey lol.    

I've seen Aerosmith twice.  They are one of your very few exceptions.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:59:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Coke is a hell of a drug.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:03:01 PM EDT
[#19]
I think U2 still puts out good music.

But that's just me.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:06:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

The Lord of the Hippies?

Why does he always look like a drunk hobo?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:11:46 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
IMO, modern rock has been in a tailspin since suffering through the grunge, AKA, my life sucks and there's no way out, period of the 1990s.

A few good bands, or at least albums from mediocre bands, came from that period.
I used to love NIN, although now it's more of a reflection of how much of a typical whiney punk I was.
Soundgarden had some good stuff, which I think was more their later albums, not the earlier heavy metal shit.
STP had one good album.
Pearl Jam was cool in its day... although I can't stand listening to one of their songs today.
Then there's Nirvana... which I never really liked but it certainly made an impression on future music.
Then there's the lesser known bands like The Pixies, that didn't get nearly the recognition they deserved for having a sound that influenced a lot of more popular bands.
Throwing Muses was a great band as well.

Every era's music has its place though. There is certainly some shitty stuff from the old days as well. I think of most Led Zepplin music more as Trailer Park Trash Anthems than classic rock.

Pink Floyd is frickin timeless. No matter what decade you listen to it in it seems to fit in. IMHO it's one of the greatest bands.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:23:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Maiden still rocks. Up the Irons!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Ugh, Neil Young?....hell he couldn't carry a tune in a wash bucket with both hands and a dolly.

Everytime I hear his voice, I get a mental image of  a  60 year old Alfalfa trying to make a come-back with "I'm In The Mood For Love".

I take refuge in knowing that Skynrd set him straight on the matter.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:24:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Just saw 2 of the great bands this summer:

Journey and Chicago

Both still touring and both are releasing a new album later this year.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:30:07 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Journey and Chicago

Nothing personnel but you are shitting us aren't you???
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:32:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Ted Nugent is STILL kicking a@# and cranking the music!!!  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:33:21 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Journey and Chicago

Hey Journey rules!

"Just a small town girl..."
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#28]
I was in an antique furniture store the other day, and saw this beat up old rocker in the corner...I was thinking, some work, and it'd look awesome in my den. They wanted $15 for it.

I think his name was Billy Idol.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:40:54 PM EDT
[#29]
AC/DC stayed true to their roots.

WTF happened to Van Halen?

I saw Roth 3 years ago and he was still pretty damn good. Seriously.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:46:34 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I was in an antique furniture store the other day, and saw this beat up old rocker in the corner...I was thinking, some work, and it'd look awesome in my den. They wanted $15 for it.

I think his name was Billy Idol.

Bug Eyed Earl rules.

And furthermore, so does Yes.  I love their eirlier stuff, not so much their later stuff, and then they got better again.  Try the song 'Homeworld' on the album 'The Ladder'.  Sounds far more like Yes from '75 than Yes from '85.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:07:11 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Journey and Chicago

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hell no. You said rock and roll greats. Both those bands are rock and roll greats. You want only metal bands then that is what the title should say. And fuck Chicago's politics, they are still one of the best bands. Try to forget the ballads and concentrate on the great rock sonmgs they have put out.

And Journey...please. Go see a Journey concert and then come back and talk to me    
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:27:42 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

And Journey...please. Go see a Journey concert and then come back and talk to me    

How are they doing since the change in vocalists?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:05:31 AM EDT
[#33]

How are they doing since the change in vocalists?

Honestly, I know Steve Perri is one of the best singers ever, hands down. But I like the new guy (Steve Augeri) better. He's an overall better entertainer. He's been with them for 7 years now and the fit is perfect. The drummer (Dean Castranovo) that joined the band when Augeri did is also phenominal. His voice can give Steve Peri's a run for the money. I've seen him sing Mother/Father, After the Fall and Still They Ride in concert and I was blown away. This guy has some pipes!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:09:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Its all about the money.  An old rocker can "loan" his talent and time to a fuckstain like PDiddy and get paid several million over time or re-release old classics and make a couple of measly hundred grand.  

That and the fact that "Cocaine is a hell of a drug."
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:29:20 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Neil Young still needs his ass kicked, you mean.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:40:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Do you really think thse musicians want to continue to play the same sfuff for 30 years? Who wouldn't want to branch out and try new stuff. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

As for new music, I'm a big metal fan and there are some excellent new bands out there. Metal sure didn't die off in 1991.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:03:30 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
How are they

He's been with them for 7 years now  

Geez, time flies.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:53:14 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I miss the old rockers, who are now, well, old...or dead. When I was growing up (say 1964 through 1984,) rock was in it's heyday; I miss that era. Rock transformed itself many times as tastes changed, but the music was good...well, except for disco.

I agree 100%. Rock music effectively died after that bullshit grunge became popular. So went bye bye the days of driving power rock and awwesome solos, replaced by depressing crap such as Nirvana.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:40:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Saw David Bowie 2 years ago and it's still the best show i have ever seen.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:41:25 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree 100%. Rock music effectively died after that bullshit grunge became popular. So went bye bye the days of driving power rock and awwesome solos, replaced by depressing crap such as Nirvana.

Also the rise of rap. Kids were so quick to dump rock because it seemed too mainstream, what with having baby boomer parents who themselves who listened to rock.Once rap rose in popularity, the labels essentially gave up on supporting rock.What passes for rock music today is really pop music.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:52:30 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Do you really think thse musicians want to continue to play the same sfuff for 30 years? Who wouldn't want to branch out and try new stuff. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

As for new music, I'm a big metal fan and there are some excellent new bands out there. Metal sure didn't die off in 1991.

Actually, I've given this some thought. It's not the music itself that bothers me, as much as the way in which it's recorded. Older albums just sound better to my ears. I like analog recordings. It was kind of nice when careful mike placement was preferred over $100,000 worth of rack mounted processors.

The primary reason I don't listen to alot of new music, is that I don't like the way most of it is recorded. The musicianship is fine, it just sounds like crap to me. Consider this as an extreme example: Take your favorite drummer, remove him from his drum set, give him a set of sticks, and let him play on cardboard boxes arranged like a drum kit. He's playing the same thing, but it sounds terrible. Take your favorite metal guitar player, and have him play a choice tune through the RCA inputs on a home stereo. Same notes, sounds like garbage.

It's not WHAT their playing that drives me crazy, it's how it sounds. There's no right or wrong on this, it's just a personal preference. I like anolog recordings and instruments. I just think they sound nicer. Some folks can't hear the difference, which continues to astound me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:16:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Here's another example: A friend heard my ranting, and gave me a copy of The White Stripes' De Stijl almum. The recording itself is fantastic! It's everything I've been looking for in new music. The problem is, the musicianship is God awful. I was almost willing to forgive that, since the recording itself sounds so nice.

Head over to amazon.com and listen to "Death Letter" or "Why Can't You Be Nicer To Me" off of De Stijl. Listen to the sound of the recording, not the actual song (if you can). I love it. The problem is, the drumming is so terrible and the guitar chops so minimalistic, I can't bear to listen to it. Give those two a bass player and some music lessons, and I'll be in heaven.

Does anybody see the difference? Is there anybody left who appreciates the sound of older recordings AND is an accomplished group of musicians?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:21:14 AM EDT
[#43]
I listened to some polka yesterday.  It was pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:28:19 AM EDT
[#44]
I havent heard any "New"rock and roll . It's become the Rock That Doesn't Roll ......

Buffett and Cheap Trick

BTW I wouldnt dis Anything George Harrison wants to do , most of the Beattles great stuff came out of a multi track studio recording .
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:29:47 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 on both posts.

However, like I said previously, U2 is still making good music.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:37:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Like someone else said, R&R is a young mans game.  Check out The Shins or Foo Fighters if you want to hear some good new music.  NW bands rock.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:45:07 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

There you have it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:14:24 PM EDT
[#48]
I picked up the Queen + Paul Rodgers 2-disc live set. Paul Rodgers was the lead singer from Bad Company. They're touring the world (but unfortunately only 2 US shows).

The CD's rock. Couple sappy songs but what do you expect? They all sound great.

Not sure why John Deacon isn't there on the bass but it doesn't seem to matter.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:35:50 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
bestsmileys.com/money/2.gif

There you have it.

OH please..

I guess you work for free.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:46:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Anyone that dosn't think Clapton can still play needs to check out the Crossroads Guitar Festival DVD.

Clapton is still awsome.  Also in the concert was Joe Walsh and ZZ Top, still rockin.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top