Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2005 12:38:22 PM EDT
I was going to post his earilier but I got kicked out of the library for restarting a computer in safemode.

I was in health class today and we were graphing our "risk factors" and in the health book it said that owning or frequintly handling firearms take 10yrs off your life. But on the same page it says not wearing seatbelts only takes 3yrs.

What a load of bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 12:40:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Yea, didnt you hear. Guns are bad.
That must have happend while you were on one of your account lockouts.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:05:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I still fail to see how possessing a mere object can take years off your life.  Being exposed to asbestos will take years off your life.  Working around diesel fumes will take years off your life.  Hell, working straight midnights will take years off your life.

Just another instance of statistics being used in a way they're not supposed to be used.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:07:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Lies, damn lies, and statistics.  Tell your teacher to stuff it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:08:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow...going to the doctor should really take some time off.  Aren't there more medical mishaps than firearms accidents?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:09:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I still fail to see how possessing a mere object can take years off your life.  Being exposed to asbestos will take years off your life.  Working around diesel fumes will take years off your life.  Hell, working straight midnights will take years off your life.

Just another instance of statistics being used in a way they're not supposed to be used.

how about lead?

(altough i doubt that was the teachers intention)
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:09:26 PM EDT
[#6]
What if I'm holding a gun, not wearing a seatbelt and snorting coke while getting my jake honked
by a $3 dolar crack whore?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:10:49 PM EDT
[#7]
did they teach you that boys have a penis and girls have a vagina yet?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:11:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What if I'm holding a gun, not wearing a seatbelt and snorting coke while getting my jake honked

you get bonus points for having the balls to do that.  +5

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:13:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't you know? Reading books makes you stupid. Everything you need to know can be found on the Internet.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:15:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

how about lead?

(altough i doubt that was the teachers intention)

Being around hazerdous chemicals was covered, I put that down because of Boric Acid and lead form reloading.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:15:56 PM EDT
[#11]
How many years does owning a kitchen knife take off your life?  How many years does owning an automobile take off your life?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:24:15 PM EDT
[#12]
How much time does sitting on your ass eating twinkies and getting a check from Unkie Sam every month take off your life?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:25:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
How much time does sitting on your ass eating twinkies and getting a check from Unkie Sam every month take off your life?

I dunno.

So Greenhorn, tell us how many twinkies you've been eating?  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:27:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:27:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Response of the day!!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:27:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I remember hearing that in health, and a bunch of other anti-gun crap in junior high, and this was in TEXAS.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:29:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I'll let you know tomorrow.

Can I bum $3?

- BG
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:30:02 PM EDT
[#18]
What grade are you in again?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:32:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

are you driving?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:39:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Holding a gun takes 10 years off your life, huh?

I guess I died somewhere around 1690.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:41:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Holding a gun takes 10 years off your life, huh?

I guess I died somewhere around 1690.

Yeah, I think I have 11 of them so I should have died in the late 1930s or early 40s.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:50:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I'm a freshman in high school.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:51:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm a freshman in high school.

Oh. I'm a junior in high school
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:52:27 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I was going to post his earilier but I got kicked out of the library for restarting a computer in safemode.

I was in health class today and we were graphing our "risk factors" and in the health book it said that owning or frequintly handling firearms take 10yrs off your life. But on the same page it says not wearing seatbelts only takes 3yrs.

What a load of bullshit.

I just took health last year in HS and we never learned of such.  Matter a fact, I dont remember anything from that class.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:06:30 PM EDT
[#25]
I think it should have been phrased, Owning a firearm will eventually take 10 years off of some POS scumbags life.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:08:55 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Don't you know? Reading books makes you stupid. Everything you need to know can be found on the Internet.

There's a lot of truth to that statement.......
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:53:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I heard a comedian once say " Last year X-number of teenagers were killed by guns. Actually they were killed by NOT having one when they needed it."

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:54:55 PM EDT
[#28]
I would be tempted to ask the instructor if taking the guns away from police would increase or decrease their life span.

ktm500
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:57:27 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I would be tempted to ask the instructor if taking the guns away from police would increase or decrease their life span.

ktm500

I tried to argue with him but he is a real SOB. I just sighed and gave up.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:02:14 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Statistically, I suppose the argument COULD be made (for high-school age teenagers) that having ready access to a handgun might SLIGHTLY elevate their chances of actually going through with it IF they have suicidal thoughts.   After all, given all the bullshit and peer pressure that people experience in high school, some of them DO get depressed.

However, given the extremely low number of kids who committ suicide, and trying to take into account the ones who woudl have done it anyway, and just used something other than a gun, and all the other things to take into account, I'm sure the aggregate probabilistic reduction in expected lifetime would probably be measure in days or hours - and would only really apply to teenagers.

The notion of ANY SIGNIFICANT lowered life expectancy is ridiculous, and shows a sad lack of vetting for text books.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:03:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Not following the basic gun handling rules can take years off of your life, but otherwise, that's some liberal bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:04:32 PM EDT
[#32]
what was it conan's girlfriend asked him just before they would jump in to some action?

'do you want to live forever?'
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
... I got kicked out of the library ...

NO !

You, get in trouble?  

Inconceivable!

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NO !

You, get in trouble?  

Inconceivable!

I restarted holding F8 to restart in safe mode to bypass the 3rd party security program so I could fiddle with the administator setting and get on Ka-Bar.com

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:24:56 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NO !

You, get in trouble?  

Inconceivable!

I restarted holding F8 to restart in safe mode to bypass the 3rd party security program so I could fiddle with the administator setting and get on Ka-Bar.com

At my school you can get to weapon related sites...AR15.COM isn't blocked but Jobrelatedstuff.com is...
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:28:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Back when I was in HS, this kind of info was not readily available.  

Latest numbers available, scroll down to Table 9  here

Short version here

For your homework, the seatbelt numbers are available here

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:49:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Well, masturbation adds 15 years to your life. So, technically speaking, you should come out way ahead of the game.

*no pun intended*

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top