Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2005 7:57:47 AM EDT
I'm sad to inform you all that more than likely,the misses and I will be going our separate ways after 15 years. What makes matters worse, is that our 11 year old son is not taking this very well, but I keep telling myself that this type of tragedy happens every day and people do survive. So my question is, when it comes to child support, I have been told that upon each pay period, 17% will need to go towards child support. Now here is the kicker, since we will both have joint custody, am I still required to pay the full 17% or do we split the 17% down the middle? What about our house, will it be sold and we each pocket our share of the profits?  What about my gun collection/reloading setup/toys, I have allot of time and money put into these things, which were mostly paid for by me. Am I about to kiss them all good by?  On the bright side of all of this madness, we are surprisingly still being pretty civil to one another all things considering.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:24:26 AM EDT
[#1]
no clue man, but good luck to you and I hope everything turns out alright...
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:30:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Ah, shit. Another one!

I'd welcome you to the club, but I'm not proud to be a member myself, so....

As to your questions, it depends upon state law. In Florida, child support is calculated based upon the gross income of both parties and the number of minor children. The two numbers go into a table, and one number comes out. That number is the child support. Each party then pays the percentage of that amount based upon their percentage of the total gross income of both parties combined.

As for property, if it was yours before marriage it's yours. If it was bought during the marriage, it gets split 50/50.

Period.

Just about anything can be negotiated. If you can do so, I STRONGLY recommend you avoid court and settle everything in mediation. This is easier on you guys and will be WAY easier on your kid, especiallly if he's not taking it well already.

Oh, and just in case I need to say this, the best route is to save the marriage. Not that I can blow that horn too loud. Lord knows I wasn't able to save mine.

Best of luck. Prayers sent. You're in for the worst time of your life, but it DOES pass. Hang in there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top