Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2005 4:58:41 AM EDT
Hi Everyone,

You know the question - it is occasionally on the initial assessment forms when you go to the hospital, doctor's office, or urgent care clinic.  Some places might try to do an intervention and give you the AMA pamphlet describing how you are X more times likely to die from gun related violence etc...

My wife is a nurse who works with poor pregnant women, and the office is reviewing their forms and soliciting nurse and doctor input.  The "Do you own any guns?" question is currently on their initial assessment form.  

My wife wants the question dropped, because the nurses do NO gun safety interventions, regardless of answer.

Here are my wife's questions:

1)  Where can she find a list of (realistic) statistics regarding gun injuries and deaths for children?
2)  If the question is not dropped, are there pamphlets targeted to parents available to help educate on gun safety and encourage responsible gun ownership?

I found some information relating to the AMA question at the JPFO website.  I'll be checking the NRA website later today for gun safety/ownership information, but if you have other information, please add your links here.

Thanks!

J.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:08:43 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hi Everyone,

You know the question - it is occasionally on the initial assessment forms when you go to the hospital, doctor's office, or urgent care clinic.  Some places might try to do an intervention and give you the AMA pamphlet describing how you are X more times likely to die from gun related violence etc...

My wife is a Maternal Support Service nurse (works with poor pregnant women), and the office is reviewing their forms and soliciting nurse and doctor input.  The "Do you own any guns?" question is currently on their initial assessment form.  

My wife wants the question dropped, because the nurses do NO gun safety interventions, regardless of answer.

Here are my wife's questions:

1)  Where can she find a list of (realistic) statistics regarding gun injuries and deaths for children?
2)  If the question is not dropped, are there pamphlets targeted to parents available to help educate on gun safety and encourage responsible gun ownership?

I found some information relating to the AMA question at the JPFO website.  I'll be checking the NRA website later today for gun safety/ownership information, but if you have other information, please add your links here.

Thanks!

J.

"Just say no."  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:09:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I have yet to have a doctor ask me about my guns.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:10:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Nope, lost 'em all in a boating accident...
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:17:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Guys - My wife is a nurse, she takes care of poor pregnant women, the standard office form that she must use has this question on it.  None of the nurses or doctors say or offer information either way if the question is answered.

She wants the question dropped, but wants realistic statistical support when she makes this recommendation.  If it isn't dropped, she wants decent intervention information (pamphlets) available to hand out.

Info along these lines is much appreciated.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:27:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Need to find statistics to compare deaths with motor vehicles compared to guns. Wouldn't it be nice to have a comeback that says "did you know you are 1,000X more likely to die because of a motor vehicle than a gun?"
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:55:27 AM EDT
[#6]
One day I was at the doctor a couple years ago, and earlier in the day, someone had made the radio news going through security at the airport with a handgun.  The doctor made comments to me about why would anyone need a gun.  Guns are stupid, etc...  He also started complaining about Ohio's new CCW law, and was talking about a no guns sign for his office.

So I asked him... what if I came into his office with a gun or knife, etc..  Who and how would he protect himkself, his workers and his patients?  Would the police get there in the less than 30 seconds it would take to injure or kill someone or multiple someones?

But, if he had a handgun in a holster, on his belt, under his white jacket, he would have a fighting chance.  Criminals, by very definition, don't play by any rules.  They pray on the weak and defenseless.  

He had to agree, but it seemed a bit begrudgingly.  However, there is sign up yet.

Then there is my chiropracter, who spends the entire visit talking about guns, and Call of Duty, and Band of Brothers, etc...  When my wife goes, he talks about me and guns.  I helped him get a Garand through CMP for his Dad.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:55:39 AM EDT
[#7]
While I hate these types of questions and the political BS that goes along with them, some doc's use it as a proper information tool.  My kid’s pediatrician asks this question on his standard forms.  He is not one of those wacko anti gun liberals.  In fact he is the only person to comment on my NRA an other shooting hats (positive comments).  He is a shooter that likes black rifles, pretty cool.

So why does he ask the dreaded gun question.  Because of the possibility of lead contamination, especially in homes with very active shooters/reloaders like myself.  He pushed me to have both my kids screened for lead.  Daughter fine, son slightly elevated, so now I am informed and make sure to keep the guys room clean, and I make sure I change my clothes right after shooting.

Now for those organizations that are blatantly anti-gun (like the AMA) I say piss off, none of your damn business.  Unfortunately its up to the docs in the clinic, or the HMO to enforce certain policies.  Best effort she can make is what my wife does (Family Practice Doctor), use the information of these gun questions to properly educate gun owners (ie not tell them a line about more likely to die and have their kids blow their brains out BS).  Inform them of their ability to right nasty letters when they disagree with these types of questions as well.

FWIW

D
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:57:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, we have been asked the question.  In fact, I posted my incident here about two years ago.  For the background, I'm a retired Navy officer.  My missus and I are raising two of our grandchildren.  At the time of the "incident" their mother was serving with the 101st AB.

Miz LWilde and I had occasion to take the four year old boy to the Quantico MCB clinic for his physical.  During the questionaire process, the Navy O-6 doctor asked if we had any guns in our home and if so, were they safely secured where the children could not get to them.

My wife paused at that point...KNOWING that trouble was fast approaching, and waited for me to answer.  I told the doc, "With all due respect doctor, that question is none of your business nor of interest to any other personnel at this clinic.  Whether or not I own firearms is not germane to the health of this boy.  Further, as a parent (grandparent in loco parentis), it is MY responsbility to ensure that IF I did own firearms, that I take every effort possible to ensure that this child or any other child is prevented from gaining access to them.  For the reasons of privacy personal choice, we choose not to answer those questions."  You may infer anything you wish from my answer.

Now, I suspect that Navy Captain was not used to being to politely fuck off...because he suddenly put down his clipboard and exited the exam room.  I actually thought the dude was going to bust a blood vessel.

He was gone for a while and when he returned, he apologized for becoming irritated.  He explained that the gun questions were standard AMA questions.  I accepted his apology and reiterated that we would not answer any questions like that and that in my opinion the AMA had no right to request the info.  We finished the exam on good terms and departed the clinic.

I will still refuse.  It is none of their damn business.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:01:05 AM EDT
[#9]
My optomitrist is a shooter, has a FFL, and we talk about shooting, how the eye works with various types of sights, etc.  I helped his secretary pick out a suitable holster for her pistol.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:01:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Does they want to know about only smooth bore or do rifled versions count?  What about field artillery pieces?  Do you include self propelled pieces or just towed?  What about cannons?  What is the defination of gun?  Do I need to consult a lawyer before answering?  Man that is a hard question.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:09:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:11:08 AM EDT
[#12]
I had to tell my doc I shoot, since I was going in for an MRI I had to request an eye x-ray to make sure I didnt have any metal in there (or the MRI would have made the metal dance around inside my eyeballs, possibly blinding me).

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:14:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Last year I had a physical for work related insurance coverage.  In the course of answering the doctors questions I was asked if I had firearms in my home and were they secured.  I looked at the doctor and said.  "Doctor: That is none of your business.  If I owned firearms they would be of no concern to you or anyone else.  Is that answer sufficent for you?"

The doctor answered sheepishly "Yes sir, that answer is sufficent."  and he went on to the next question.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:15:55 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Tj

This one came to mind, but it probably wouldn't fly if it was submitted as support for having the question removed.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:19:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Step 1: Add innocuous firearms ownership question to medical forms, ostensibly to promote the "general health and welfare" of children in household.

Step 2: Build large databases of health records, of which information in step one is a tiny and insignificant part, as your "well being" is the goal.

Step 3: Get Sen. Hildebeast elected grand poobah of the world.

Step 4: Do away with antiquated "self-reliance" concepts, including the idea of "private" medical practice, and consumer choice in medical care. (The administrators of hospitals and other large medical consortiums describe their services as a "product" to be branded, marketed, and leveraged as if it were a bag of Dorito's).
In other words, pass legislation mandating "NATIONAL HEALTH CARE".

Step 4: Compile all known medical databases into one large government owned and maintained central record, insuring the most up-to-date and comprehensive info for your federally appointed health worker. Access to this database will be limited to medical professionals ONLY. "Well of course FEMA has access, we have alot of medical doctors under DHS".

Step 5: Ban all "Unnecessary" firearms from civilian possesion. This includes but is not limited to ALL Handgun's, all rifles capable of holding more than five rounds in a detachable magazine, and shotguns with magazine capacity greater than two. (O.K. so it's a bit worse than Kalifornia has  *RIGHT NOW*, but not by that much).

(QUOTE 1\) "Hey, the information is right there in the health database, we might as well use it to find and confiscate all those evil weapons we just banned...." (/Hildebeast)

(QUOTE 2\) "What do you mean by "2nd amendment...." (/LEO Sgt. Justdoingmyjob Smith)
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:24:54 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
http://www.rense.com/general62/gns.htm

US Gun Statistics
Various Sources
2-2-5

(A) The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000.
(B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are 120,000.
(C) Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171.

(Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept. of Health Human Services)

Guns
(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000.
Yes, that is 80 million.

(B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500.
(C) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is 0.000188.

Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.
Remember, "Guns don't kill people, doctors do."

FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR.

Please alert your friends to this alarming threat. We must ban doctors before this gets completely out of hand!

Out of concern for the public at large, I have withheld the statistics on lawyers for fear the shock would cause people to panic and seek medical attention.

Sorry couldn't resist!

Tj

Perhaps gun stores should start posting "No MD's permitted" signs!

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:30:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Dropped my AMA membership card in the shredder years ago.  Only time I ask about guns is in conversation.  For example, the virtues of .357SIG over .40S&W with a .gov agent while I was putting in her epidural.

I actually know a number of physicians in a very large hospital/university in MA who are active firearms enthusiasts.

Cheers.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:40:38 AM EDT
[#18]
man, I know this isn't a hot topic at the hospital, but while you are at it, why don't you look up statistics on accidentaly deaths at hospitals... last stat I heard was like OVER 100,000 per year!

that is ACCIDENTAL deaths! not "they were dieing anyways" but, OOPS! we gave the wrong meds, or OOPS you had an allergic reaction, or OOPS your liver failed from the drugs we gave you, or "OOPS" etc...

that may make the 1000 accidental child deaths from guns per year PALE by comparison...
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:42:06 AM EDT
[#19]
If they ask you for non medical personal info--you ask the "good doc"--
How many times he has been sued?
How much is his Med Malprec Ins is?
Before you drop your pants --is he gay?
I was given the same form so I asked the above questions, he no longer uses the form!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top