Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2005 1:55:48 AM EDT
It looks like the so-called "black leaders" are succeeding at creating racial tension. From www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/12/katrina.race.poll/index.html:

Reaction to Katrina split on racial lines

More blacks view race as factor in federal response

Monday, September 12, 2005; Posted: 9:21 p.m. EDT (01:21 GMT)

(CNN) -- White and black Americans view Hurricane Katrina's aftermath in starkly different ways, with more blacks viewing race a factor in problems with the federal response, according to a CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll released Monday.

The poll found that six in 10 blacks interviewed said the federal government was slow in rescuing those stranded in New Orleans after Katrina because many of the people in the Louisiana city were black. But only about one in eight white respondents shared that view.

The numbers were similar on whether the rescues were slower because the victims were poor, with 63 percent of blacks blaming poverty and 21 percent of whites doing so.

The poll, based on interviews with 848 whites and 262 blacks September 8-11, had a margin of error of plus or minus 6 percentage points. (Interactive)

In a separate survey on Katrina reaction that was not broken down by race, a majority of those interviewed said they disapproved of President Bush's handling of the disaster. (Full story)

Before the release of the polls, Bush denied allegations that the response to Katrina was slower because the thousands of people stuck in New Orleans were mostly poor and black. (See video on Bush's response to criticism -- 2:28)

"The storm didn't discriminate, and neither will we in the recovery effort," said Bush, who toured the streets of New Orleans on Monday for the first time since the storm hit August 29.

But according the poll broken down by race, blacks were more likely to blame Bush for problems in New Orleans, with 37 percent holding him most to blame for the fact that many residents were trapped inside the city after it flooded.

Twenty percent of blacks primarily blamed New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin, 11 percent blamed the residents themselves and 27 percent blamed no one at all.

Among whites, 29 percent blamed Nagin, 27 percent blamed the residents, 15 percent blamed Bush and 24 percent held no one responsible.

Just over half of whites interviewed -- 51 percent -- said bureaucratic inefficiency was a bigger obstacle in the response than neglected domestic needs. But 56 percent of blacks blamed the domestic needs, such as emergency preparedness and infrastructure.

More blacks than whites said they were angry about the government's response to Katrina, 76 percent to 60 percent, and Bush is one target of their ire.

Among blacks, only 15 percent said Bush did a good job in the initial days after Katrina, and 36 percent thought he did a good job in recent days. The number for whites was 49 percent for the initial days and 63 percent more recently.

With federal agencies in general, as compared with ratings for Bush in particular, the approval for the initial response was 13 percentage points lower among whites and 13 points higher among blacks.

On the question of whether Bush cares about black people, 67 percent of whites said they believe the president does care, but only 21 percent of blacks agreed.

A majority of both races said there should be an investigation by an independent panel into problems with the government's response, with 88 percent of blacks and 67 percent of whites backing such an inquiry.

Poll results indicated that issues related to the Katrina response are likely to have more staying power in the black community, with 71 percent of blacks paying close attention to the story, compared with 56 percent of whites.

The reaction to looting in New Orleans in the days after the hurricane also broke down along racial lines.

Half of all whites said people who broke into stores and took things were mostly criminals. Only 16 percent of blacks agreed, with 77 percent saying the looters were mostly desperate people trying to find a way to survive.

Seventy-seven percent of blacks were bothered when the residents who evacuated were referred to as "refugees," while only 37 percent of whites had a problem with the term.

The poll was taken in the days before Monday's resignation by Michael Brown, director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency. (See video on Brown's resignation -- 2:16 )

In the survey, 54 percent of blacks said Brown should be fired, compared with 45 percent of whites.
--
Please note that over 50 percent of all statistics are wrong.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:59:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Kayne West was right!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:00:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:31:52 AM EDT
[#3]
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! *Tears Hair Hout*

Why does there have to be so many idiots in our country?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:38:36 AM EDT
[#4]
this just proves that Katrina was racist, and Bush hates black people
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:49:38 AM EDT
[#5]
You know, I think blacks will be a lot happier and a lot more successful when they abandon this idea that every white male is part of a big conspiracy to keep them down.  The only people that benefit from this idea are the extortionists like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:52:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Seriously, when will people stop playing the race card and just be "Americans"?

That's what's great about this nation.  It doesn't matter where you're from, what color you are, or what you think.  We are all Americans, and we need to stop looking at how we're different, but realize how we're the same.

Unfortunately, that will probably never happen until much further down the road, after everyone has everything in their blood.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:01:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Agentfork,
they will never stop playing the race card because it's an easy way out and a distraction from the real problem. It's just easier
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:05:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, people piss me off.   Alot.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:30:37 AM EDT
[#9]
It's easier to blame someone else than to accept responsibility for yourself and your own failures or laziness.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:39:46 AM EDT
[#10]
btt
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:11:04 AM EDT
[#11]
I hate to say it but the race card ends up hurting the Dems.  In my state there are a lot of Dems who really don't like Blacks much.  That's one reason Maryland is so segregated (almost all the Blacks in MD live in either Baltimore or PG County).  

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:27:23 AM EDT
[#12]
big frigging surprise, "whitey be keepin' the bruthas down!" who gives a fuck about their yammering, they're not even the biggest minority anymore. just the mouthiest...
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:44:11 AM EDT
[#13]
the old grandma from the movie bulworth said it best when she said everybody just gotta keep
f#%kin everybody till we're all the same color.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:50:42 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Agentfork,
they will never stop playing the race card because it's an easy way out and a distraction from the real problem. It's just easier

100% correct. ALL their troubles are caused by the White Man!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:17:02 AM EDT
[#15]

you know, every denomination that exists in this country went through extreme poverty and repression/racism at one point or another.

irish, italians, japanese, chinese, more recently mexicans.

every denomination to date (excepting the mexicans as they are the "new kids on the block") have paid their dues, overcome, and eventually become producing peoples and integral in our society.

those of "african-american" descent have had 250 years to do the same, and as far a i can tell have not yet bothered to put in any sort of work to become productive members of society. if it hasn't happened yet, i'd be hard pressed to believe it ever will.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:25:00 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
How many of those respondants understand that the slowness or quickness of Federal help wouldn't have been a problem if the other elements of disaster recovery - individual preparation and a better city and state response - had remained intact?

That isn't the question. How many of those respondents even understand what a federal relief effort entails, what the logistical constraints such a relief effort would require in delivery times, how one would go about structuring an evacuation or disaster recpvery plan for an entire major American city within a 48 hour period....

I am forced to wonder how many of those respondents would have bothered to help anyone in the first bloody place, or whether they would have relied on the federal government to handle everything for them.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:25:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Shit like this is making me racist.  

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:37:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Shit like this is making me racist.  

DITTO I must say! I grew-up in a household where race was NEVER a subject of discussion. People were people. There were good and bad in every group of people. But I am DAMN tired of this crap. It would be easy for me to think it was just asshats like JJ and Sharpton and a few welfare ingrates causing all of this. But I've seen WAY too many polls and interviews where the average black person believes this crap too and CHOOSES to be a victim. If this keeps on going where it's been headed, I will have gone from being a person who doesn't see color to one who damn well does. I'm gettin' there now. Guys like Jesse and Al are the WORST thing that ever happened to black people. If they'd just shut the hell up and get to work like the rest of us, then I'd quickly lose any attitudes that I've developed recently. Because I really DO believe that the measure of a man is not the color of his skin, but what's inside him. Too damn bad that the liberals and black leadership don't believe that...
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:37:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Im so frikin TIRED of this "its cause Im black" and "whitey keepin us down" crap. They need to grow up and start pulling their weight like everyone else and stop blaming EVERYONE but theirselves for their shortcomings.

Bill Cosby KNOWS what he is talking about when he says there is no one to blame but themselves, all a lot of them want to do is get free handouts for existing. As soon as someone demands acountability for their actions they start screaming RACISM et al. It makes me SICK
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:42:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Hell last time I was in NO the place coulda damn near been considered a disaster area then.

That was about 10 yrs ago, and nobody was bitching.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top