Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2005 9:58:57 PM EDT
My mom had a tennis bracelet appraised roughly 18 years ago and it was said to be worth around $3k. It has 52 diamonds on it and being worth around $3k I'm guessing they were pretty small. I haven't seen it in a really long time but she wanted me to find out what it was worth for her. Anyone want to take a guess as to what it could be worth 18 years later? I'm planning on taking it in to get appraised sometime next week so I guess it's kind of pointless posting it here especially with out a picture. Does jewelry gain significant value over the years?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Dumbist Thrud EVAR!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:02:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Dumbist Thrud EVAR!

LOL you dumbass hahahahahahaha
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:14:06 PM EDT
[#3]
i didnt know it went up in value unless the stones were rare
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:18:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Watches.. Similar deal.. Rolex GMT Master in 1966.. $175.00.. That same watch today depending an various factors..2200.00 to 3900.00.. Condition, box, papers, etc...

Mine was originally sold in Helsinki in 1985.. 1350USD.. Today because it was a transitional model, has inner and outer box, papers. etc.. Its worth even more than a brand new GMTII.. Its all relative..
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:18:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think it would have gone up in value.  It will depend on the quality of the diamonds, the metal used in the bracelet, the style, and if it was a particular brand, like Tiffany or some other.

Diamonds in generally are an artifically shorted market.  The rarest will be internally flawless, and flawless (which are rare to find in any store, with the exception of very high end markets) and colorless.

If the diamonds are colored, like yellow, pink, or blue, then the value goes up exponentially.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:19:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i didnt know it went up in value unless the stones were rare

I guess that kind of helps, figure its probably worth as much now as it was then?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:20:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Insured value of my wife's wedding ring has gone up from $6200 to $7000 in the last five years, but insurance companies are crooks.  I'd like to think it really has increased in value.

ETA: go get it appraised.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:21:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
ETA: go get it appraised.

I'm gonna go do that hopefully next week. I'm just kind of fishing around what to expect to hear from the jeweler.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:22:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Was it ever IGI, or IGA certified?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:28:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Doubtful
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:31:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doubtful

Most diamonds sold, above a certain price, will have been certified a certain quality by the two largest gemological institutes, the IGI or the IGA (don't ask me the tell you what they stand for, too tired).

If it came certified, then you would have a basis for the apraiser to bounce off of.  If the appraiser was way off from the certs then you know he/she is full of shit.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:32:14 PM EDT
[#12]
One word on Diamonds…

Diamonds are a artificially inflated commodity controlled by a cartel… Some of the colored stones and very large stones are actually rare and valuable, but normal diamonds are NOT rare if the cartel ever breaks diamonds are going to be worth very little.

Up until the middle of the 1800s when the cartel came in to being diamonds per caret normally sold for less than 1 oz of silver sold for... they will likely revert back to that value level if the cartel breaks.

God help you if you are invested in diamonds and the cartel breaks.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:37:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Rubies are more likely to have retained their value than diamonds.  Tough to estimate without a good appraisal.  I'd expect diamonds to fall in value relative to other precious stones due to new manufacturing processes that make diamonds w/o the cartel's approval.

YMMV

Search Wired magazine's aricles on diamonds.  I'm too lazy to do it right now.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:57:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:59:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The value will be adjusted for inflation.  Additionally, appraisers can vary wildly.  The same jewelry piece can be appraised at $4000 by one, and $7500 by another.  They also pad the value if it's an insurance appraisal; i.e. they'll give you a value (usually) slightly higher than what you would pay for it new vs. what you could actually sell it for.  You take a great big hit when you try to resell jewelry; it's like when you buy a new car, the minute you drive it off the lot you lose 15% of the value.

And artificial diamonds aren't going to take over the natural diamond market, any more than other lab-created or heat-treated stones have replaced the demand or lowered the value of other natural stones.  Rational or not, natural stones are highly prized over artificial or treated stones.

How are you going to know which is which?  Occlusions can be made in artificial diamonds...  the Cartel is currently requesting that some kind of identifying mark be placed on natural diamonds... I wonder why.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:09:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The value will be adjusted for inflation.  Additionally, appraisers can vary wildly.  The same jewelry piece can be appraised at $4000 by one, and $7500 by another.  They also pad the value if it's an insurance appraisal; i.e. they'll give you a value (usually) slightly higher than what you would pay for it new vs. what you could actually sell it for.  You take a great big hit when you try to resell jewelry; it's like when you buy a new car, the minute you drive it off the lot you lose 15% of the value.

And artificial diamonds aren't going to take over the natural diamond market, any more than other lab-created or heat-treated stones have replaced the demand or lowered the value of other natural stones.  Rational or not, natural stones are highly prized over artificial or treated stones.

Diamonds are artificially rare and are artificially valuable...

Diamond won’t be worth spit if the millions and millions of carets that go in to DeBeers vaults each year start hitting the streets. Or if the hundreds of million of carets in DeBeers vaults every find their way out of the vaults.

DeBeers has bullied, cajoled, bought off, and directly or indirectly murdered tens of thousands over the last century to control the diamond market… it cannot last forever.

Current synthetic processes can make virtually an many say absolutely indistinguishable stones.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:23:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top