Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2005 8:24:10 PM EDT
United States Army Forces in the Philippines--Northern Luzon (USAFIP-NL).  Having escaped from Bataan, Lt. Col. Martin Moses and Lt. Col. Arthur "Maxie" Noble founded their guerrilla command in the northern mountains near Baguio.  They contacted Philippine Army commanders in the area who had refused to surrender and guerrilla organizers from Col. Thorp's organization, and began to plan a major strike against the Japanese.  On October 15, 1942, they attacked the Japanese-owned Itogon Mines near Baguio and held the area for more than a week.  The Japanese counter-attacked with infantry and tanks and drove the guerrillas back into the mountains, then took heavy reprisals on the civilian villages in the area.  Moses and Noble retreated into headhunter country, and began to collect intelligence data to send to General MacArthur.  They were tracked down by the Japanese and captured in June 1943, then executed.  Elements of their command became independent units or were taken over by Russell Volckmann's USFIP-NL and Bernard Anderson's Kalayaan Command.  Their officers and commanders included Capt. Ralph B. Praeger, Maj. Thomas S. Jones, Col. Marcelo Adduru, and Ali Al-Rashid.  The story of Colonels Moses and Noble is included in Bataan Diary.

Wow, my great uncle,its sad he was executed, imagine the stories, those savage Japanese.

edit: I remember now, they tortured him, to death. He must have kept something away from the Japanese, I owe my freedom to him.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:45:56 AM EDT
[#1]
My family thanks your family.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:54:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Incredible

BUMP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top