Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2005 6:44:31 PM EDT

Disaster Can't Destroy Gun Rights

Monday, September 12, 2005

National Rifle Association leader Wayne LaPierre slammed New Orleans authorities Monday for seizing legal firearms from lawful residents.

"What we’ve seen in Louisiana - the breakdown of law and order in the aftermath of disaster - is exactly the kind of situation where the Second Amendment was intended to allow citizens to protect themselves, " LaPierre said.

"When law enforcement isn’t available, Americans turn to the one right that protects all the others - the right to keep and bear arms," LaPierre said. "This attempt to repeal the Second Amendment should be condemned."

The New York Times reported last Thursday that no civilians in New Orleans will be allowed to have guns, quoting the superintendent of police that "only law enforcement are allowed to have weapons."

A Louisiana state statute allows the chief law enforcement officer to "regulate possession" of firearms during declared emergencies. "But regulate doesn’t mean confiscate," said Chris W. Cox, the NRA’s chief lobbyist.

"Authorities are using that statute to do what the looters and criminals could not: disarm the law-abiding citizens of New Orleans trying to protect their homes and families," Cox said.

"The NRA will not stand idly by while guns are confiscated from law-abiding people who’re trying to defend themselves," he said.

"We’re exploring every legal option available to protect the rights of lawful people in New Orleans," Cox said, "and we’re taking steps to overturn such laws in every state where they exist."

"Local authorities in New Orleans are turning nature’s assault on human life into man’s assault on human rights," LaPierre said. "Four million NRA members intend to stop this unconstitutional power grab."

Slow off the dime, but not a bad statement.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:46:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw this at work today. I don't ever post news because of the god damned dupe police. I havent seen this posted on arfcom. Ya did good!

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:46:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah...... and im still pissed!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:52:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

"The NRA will not stand idly by while guns are confiscated from law-abiding people who’re trying to defend themselves," he said.

Hmmm.  What have they been doing for the past week?  Its good to know my NRA dues are supporting energetic fundraising efforts all the while.  I'll watch and see what the NRA REALLY does after this slow start.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:57:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmm.  What have they been doing for the past week?  Its good to know my NRA dues are supporting energetic fundraising efforts all the while.  I'll watch and see what the NRA REALLY does after this slow start.

They work the legal end and the lobby end.  That tends to be slow.

And, of course, they have to print up a big batch of new fundraising literature to mail out.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:05:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Christ I knew this would turn to another NRA bashing thread.

Done blame the NRA for sheep handing in their guns in NO
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:10:35 PM EDT
[#6]

"Four million NRA members intend to stop this unconstitutional power grab."

So, no NRA national conventions in New Orleans, either, eh?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:13:51 PM EDT
[#8]
They must have seen a double barrel  being taken from a D.U. member . The war is on. now. I send money every year to the N.R.A. so no flack please
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:15:32 PM EDT
[#9]
They are our only friends in this so I send money 2-3 times a year . I hope they attack this like there is no tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:17:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
DUPE!!!

DAMMIT!  I did a search on NRA over the last three days and that post didn't show up!  I swear!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:18:49 PM EDT
[#11]
So what if the NRA didn't ATTACK right off the bat.  One needs time to formulate a plan of attack before committing to something, dontcha think?  The NRA is the best we've got, so why not support them?  I understand constructive criticism, but some people on this board just go a wee bit overboard with all the anti-NRA bashing.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:24:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
DUPE!!!

DAMMIT!  I did a search on NRA over the last three days and that post didn't show up!  I swear!

Well thanks for posting;  cause,  I've been looking and have'nt seen any response posted on ARFCOM.  

Again thanks for the info
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:00:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

National Rifle Association leader Wayne LaPierre slammed New Orleans authorities Monday for seizing legal firearms from lawful residents.

"What we’ve seen in Louisiana - the breakdown of law and order in the aftermath of disaster - is exactly the kind of situation where the Second Amendment was intended to allow citizens to protect themselves, " LaPierre said.

"When law enforcement isn’t available, Americans turn to the one right that protects all the others - the right to keep and bear arms," LaPierre said. "This attempt to repeal the Second Amendment should be condemned."

The New York Times reported last Thursday that no civilians in New Orleans will be allowed to have guns, quoting the superintendent of police that "only law enforcement are allowed to have weapons."

A Louisiana state statute allows the chief law enforcement officer to "regulate possession" of firearms during declared emergencies. "But regulate doesn’t mean confiscate," said Chris W. Cox, the NRA’s chief lobbyist.

"Authorities are using that statute to do what the looters and criminals could not: disarm the law-abiding citizens of New Orleans trying to protect their homes and families," Cox said.

"We’re exploring every legal option available to protect the rights of lawful people in New Orleans," Cox said, "and we’re taking steps to overturn such laws in every state where they exist."

"Local authorities in New Orleans are turning nature’s assault on human life into man’s assault on human rights," LaPierre said. "Four million NRA members intend to stop this unconstitutional power grab."

Slow off the dime, but not a bad statement.

This statement is not only right and correct in every sense of the word but this type of activity,disarming and relocation of honest and law abiding citizens should not be tollorated legally or morally at any time.Removal of survivors in any disaster manmade or not should only be accomplished on the condition that a bonafide health risk is emminent to the public or for the saftey of incapacitated individuals.Not all areas of New Orleans or it's residents fall into this catagory.Residents chosing to leave of their own free will should be treated as truamatized victims,with dignity and respect not as many were handled.It appears that some of the brutal procedures that the authorities subjected law abiding and taxpaying americans to should in no way go unchecked.In the months and years ahead there will be survivors and consciencious participants,meaning everyone who is now or at any time worked in or around New Orleans Louisiana during this crisis, especially in the early stages, at any level or in any position who witnessed uncalled for or otherwise unlawfull excessive type behavior,should have the obligation as a defender of their own freedom and a sense of duty to their own communities and families, tell their accounts of anyone who used exessive force and met out illegal type behavior against  law abiding citizenry in a court of law monitored by  a jury of their peers. If and when legal remedy is not available, the regestered voters of this country should and have the obligation to put into power those who would swear by oath  and conscience, evidenced by their prior record of service never to tolorate such activity again at least not during the tenure of their held offices.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top