Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2005 4:36:17 PM EDT
I keep getting this popup and it looks like a normal window:

NOTICE: If your computer has errors in the registry database or file system, it could cause unpredictable or erratic behavior, freezes and crashes.
Fixing these errors can increase your computers performance and prevent data loss.

Would you like to install WinFixer 2005 to check your computer for free? (Recommended)

Then I get the actual full screen popup that looks like a screen styled after a Norton product except it is for WinFixer 2005.

I have no other popups or email problems and I am running Norton internet security.  I never download anything weird so what is Winfixer and is it good or bad?  I figure if I google it I will get the usual propaganda from the mother company telling me it is a must have and to download now.

WTF????
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:45:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't Install!!!

Check out this page for more details and some links to some real spyware removal products (Adaware, Spybot, & Microsoft Anti-Spyware)

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=60820

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:55:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Don't Install!!!

Check out this page for more details and some links to some real spyware removal products (Adaware, Spybot, & Microsoft Anti-Spyware)

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=60820

Big +1 for Ad-Aware.  I typically run spybot and spyware blaster, but Ad-Aware found a bunch of crap that those missed.  Now I run all three.  www.zdnet.com is a good site for free downloads.  Just keep up on the updates, and you'll be in much better shape.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:57:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I am about to have to go to work so any fixing I do will be tomorrow.  As long as I know it is dangerous.

I will probably go and get some adware software tomorrow.  What is the best one?  

Everytime my wife touches the damned computer she messes something up.  She downloads new toolbars, erases my normal ones, hits "F" keys to change my display, and all other kinds of crap.  It takes me forever to fix it sometimes.

Keep the opinions coming please.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:01:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got winfixer too. I googled it. One site says it's dangerous (what a coinicidence, this site tells you to D/L their fixer to get rid of winfixer), and a bunch of others say it's not harmful, just annoying. Google it, and I'm sure some site will tell you to how to fix it. Be careful when deleting things in the registry though.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:02:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Try going over to microsoft.com and download their anti spyware beta
works great for free
go to the downloads section and you'll see it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top