Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2005 4:19:46 PM EDT
Did anyone catch it?  

Essentially the police chief was questioned about the accusations regarding officers firing shots
above crowds of people trying to cross a bridge from New Orleans into Gretna.

The chief said he wasn't aware that this had happened (yea, right), and that he would be
investigating the accusations once things had settled down.  (again, yea, right)

The chief admitted they blocked the bridge to prohibit people from entering Gretna from NO.

And you know what, the reasons he gave were awesome!  Wife and I both commend him.

They had no provisions for taking in anyone.
They had no radio/telephone or other means of communications to coordinate relief efforts.
They had no food, water, shelter for anyone.
They had already secured and shut down their city for security reasons.

Essentially, he knew what was happening, and didn't want Gretna to become like New Orleans.

It was done without anyone getting shot, disarmed, or arrested.

And he spoke intelligently.  
Cudos to this police chief.  
I'd vote in favor of a payraise for him next year.
Wish MY police chief was more like him.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:34:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is an article, partial printed below about it from a journal:

Journal

September 09, 2005
Gretna, LA Police Chief says NOLA evacuation route closed to keep people away
Gretna, Louisiana is a self-described "bedroom community" in Jefferson Parish, LA, that lies on the opposite bank of the Mississippi River from a portion of the city of New Orleans.

New Orleans residents get to Gretna by way of the US 90 bridge - The Crescent City Connection - and the Westbank Expressway.

In a recent interview, the Gretna Police Chief, Arthur Lawson, admitted that the bridge was closed to foot and vehicle traffic to prevent people from using it to escape the hell that downtown New Orleans had become.

"We shut down the bridge," Arthur Lawson, chief of the City of Gretna Police Department, confirmed to United Press International, adding that his jurisdiction had been "a closed and secure location" since before the storm hit.
"All our people had evacuated and we locked the city down," he said.

Lawson said that once the storm itself had passed Monday, police from Gretna City, Jefferson Parrish and the Louisiana State Crescent City Connection Police Department closed to foot traffic the three access points to the bridge closest to the West Bank of the river.

He added that the small town, which he called "a bedroom community" for the city of New Orleans, would have been overwhelmed by the influx.

"There was no food, water or shelter" in Gretna City, Lawson said. "We did not have the wherewithal to deal with these people.

If we had opened the bridge, our city would have looked like New Orleans does now: looted, burned and pillaged."

Not only that, but police officers stationed themselves at the foot of the Crescent City Connection-US 90 bridge and actually fired at (or at least over the heads of) people who attempted to use the bridge to escape New Orleans. A web posting on WDSU-TV's web page tells the story.
two paramedics, who were trapped in the city while attending a convention, joined a group of people who had been turned out by the hotels that they were staying in on Wednesday. When the group attempted to get to the Superdome -- designated by city authorities as a shelter for those unable to evacuate -- they were turned away by the National Guard.
"Quite naturally, we asked ... 'What was our alternative?' The guards told us that that was our problem, and no, they did not have extra water to give to us.

"This would be the start of our numerous encounters with callous and hostile law enforcement."

As they made their way to the bridge in order to leave the city "armed Gretna sheriffs (sic) formed a line across the foot of the bridge. Before we were close enough to speak, they began firing their weapons over our heads."

Members of the group nonetheless approached the police lines, and "questioned why we couldn't cross the bridge ... They responded that the West Bank was not going to become New Orleans and there would be no Superdomes in their City.

two paramedics, who were trapped in the city while attending a convention, joined a group of people who had been turned out by the hotels that they were staying in on Wednesday. When the group attempted to get to the Superdome -- designated by city authorities as a shelter for those unable to evacuate -- they were turned away by the National Guard.

"Quite naturally, we asked ... 'What was our alternative?' The guards told us that that was our problem, and no, they did not have extra water to give to us.

"This would be the start of our numerous encounters with callous and hostile law enforcement."

As they made their way to the bridge in order to leave the city "armed Gretna sheriffs (sic) formed a line across the foot of the bridge. Before we were close enough to speak, they began firing their weapons over our heads."

Members of the group nonetheless approached the police lines, and "questioned why we couldn't cross the bridge ... They responded that the West Bank was not going to become New Orleans and there would be no Superdomes in their City.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is just the first part of the article, the rest comes from some sheep who want the sheriff/chief arrested and charged with homicide.

FWIW
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:37:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I can appreciate wanting to protect his city, but if people died because he wouldn't let them OUT of New Orleans then he should hang.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:48:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I can appreciate wanting to protect his city, but if people died because he wouldn't let them OUT of New Orleans then he should hang.  

That is exactly how I feel!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:53:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

If you were entrusted to keep YOUR community safe;

Would you allow The Dome and Convention center people to riot in the town you were elected to protect?#$%
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:58:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Unless the bridge and road were city property, I don''t they had any right to blockade foot traffic. I think that's total BS.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:05:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Remember, you don't need a gun.  The police will protect you.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:30:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Looking at a map of New Orleans, there appears to be very limited access.  Well,, that is if you don't count swimming or boating.

mapper.cctechnol.com/floodmap.php

(BTW, this is a flood map, you can click on various places to see the water depth.)

I-10 out to the west.  (Edited to add, looking at other maps, this is a long elevated section over swamp.  It is many miles to Baton Rouge with no place to get on and off, not a route to safety)

I-10 out to the north (then eastward) on the northeastern portion of the map.

(This was impassable, damaged by the storm.)

Lake Ponchatrain Causeway to the north.

(This was impassable also.)

Highway 90 Bridge (from another map this is called the Huey P. Long Bridge) an old narrow bridge.  They could not reach this bridge due to flooding.  Click along.  This path was not available to leave.

and to the southeast, the wide multilane bridge over to Gretna, which winds through Gretna eventually going west.

Unless the bridge and road were city property, I don''t they had any right to blockade foot traffic. I think that's total BS.

Would anyone think that a wide, multilane bridge over the Mississippi would have been paid for and owned by a "bedroom community"?  One that connects to a major highway (Highway 90) that stretches from Florida to Texas?

Clicking on the map you can see that there was little or no flooding in Gretna.

So, you can't stay, but they won't let you leave.

Meanwhile, Gov. Blanco orders people to leave.  But they shoot at you if you do.

Seems to me that if the citizens trying to leave had shot back, it would clearly be self defense.

Having driven through New Orleans on more than a few occasions (I travel a lot due to my job),  anyone who would ask, "why didn't they just walk out?" has no idea of the situation there.

This is your proverbial rock and a hard place.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:53:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Essentially the police chief was questioned about the accusations regarding officers firing shots
above crowds of people trying to cross a bridge from New Orleans into Gretna.

The chief said he wasn't aware that this had happened (yea, right), and that he would be
investigating the accusations once things had settled down.  (again, yea, right)

Don't most law enforcement agencies require officers to file a report when they discharge their weapons?  (no pun intended)
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:07:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm on their side.
Just like if I totally prepare myself and survive the disaster and my lousy fuck neighbor comes over looking for me to save his ass.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:17:43 PM EDT
[#10]
What if your neighbor's house is on fire, and he is trying to get out of it and away from the fire?  And then you shoot at him to keep him from cutting across your yard?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:25:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Then, you shove his balls up his ass so that everytime he sh*ts, he sh*ts on his balls.....
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:29:46 PM EDT
[#12]
It’s amazing!

All of the (apparently idle) chatter we have here about unconstitutional acts by the police, and yet shutting down a public highway and trapping people is OK?

I guess being able to walk down a road is a privilege, not a right.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:13:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Trapping them, shooting at them, taking their food and water, that's attempted murder.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:27:39 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Then, you shove his balls up his ass so that everytime he sh*ts, he sh*ts on his balls.....

jesus tittyfucking christ!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top