Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2005 11:30:59 AM EDT
ap.wwltv.com/dynamic/stories/K/KATRINA_BODIES?SITE=WWL&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=USHEADS.html

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- Forty-five bodies have been found at a hospital that was abandoned more than a week ago after it was surrounded by floodwaters unleashed by Hurricane Katrina, a state health official said Monday.

The bodies were located Sunday at Memorial Medical Center, said Bob Johannesen, a spokesman for the Department of Health and Hospitals. Johannesen said the bodies were those of patients, but he had no other information.

The Louisiana death toll rose to 279 on Monday, up from 197 on Sunday, Johannesen said.

On Sunday, reporters were kept at a distance from Memorial Medical by law enforcement officers as workers removed bodies from the hospital, situated in the city's Uptown section.

The 317-bed hospital, owned by TenetHealthcare Corp., remained closed Monday and was still partially surrounded by floodwaters.

© 2005 The Associated Press.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:32:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I can hear it now...

"Definitely Bush's fault...."
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:41:06 AM EDT
[#2]
No electricity, right? The stench must have been unimaginable.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:42:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I hear the lawyers spinning up their helos.....
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:42:52 AM EDT
[#4]
On any given day, how many dead people would normally be in a hospital of moderate size?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:43:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
ap.wwltv.com/dynamic/stories/K/KATRINA_BODIES?SITE=WWL&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=USHEADS.html

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- Forty-five bodies have been found at a hospital that was abandoned more than a week ago after it was surrounded by floodwaters unleashed by Hurricane Katrina, a state health official said Monday.

The bodies were located Sunday at Memorial Medical Center, said Bob Johannesen, a spokesman for the Department of Health and Hospitals. Johannesen said the bodies were those of patients, but he had no other information.

The Louisiana death toll rose to 279 on Monday, up from 197 on Sunday, Johannesen said.

On Sunday, reporters were kept at a distance from Memorial Medical by law enforcement officers as workers removed bodies from the hospital, situated in the city's Uptown section.

The 317-bed hospital, owned by TenetHealthcare Corp., remained closed Monday and was still partially surrounded by floodwaters.

© 2005 The Associated Press.

Well, the MORGUE was in the basement in the hospital I worked in..
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:45:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
On any given day, how many dead people would normally be in a hospital of moderate size?

That reminds me of the single-engine two-seater plane that crashed into a cemetary outside of Ole Miss a few years ago. Student volunteers recovered 324 bodies........
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:47:41 AM EDT
[#7]
ooops...
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:59:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I would like to hear more.

Are they patients?
People who moved to the hospital for safety?
Already dead bodies?
Patients euthanized who couldn't be safely moved?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:02:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That reminds me of the single-engine two-seater plane that crashed into a cemetary outside of Ole Miss a few years ago. Student volunteers recovered 324 bodies........

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:04:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
No electricity, right? The stench must have been unimaginable.

+1
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:11:27 PM EDT
[#11]

I read that after the generators failed, the docs and nurses had to ventilate the patients by hand for days until the patient died or the staff was exhausted.  A lot of equipment obviously  wouldn't work as well.  The NO hopitals went from 2005 to 1905 real quick.

I like the way the article said "found".  I'd bet that if they had asked the hospital's chief of staff (MD that is "in charge" of the other doctors), he could have told them.

Pretty nasty conditions to have to practice medicine.
ETA OTOH, it is all Bush's fault.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:12:03 PM EDT
[#12]
from what i just heard on hannity, it looks like the people got missed placed, and the hospital was marked clear beacuse the name of the hosptial is similar to another
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:31:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Probably within 6 months from now, after its employees return for work, this hospital will probably start to develop a reputation of being haunted (especially in the place where most of these bodies were found).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top