Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2005 10:42:08 AM EDT
I was watching the local Dallas news last night and up comes a story a of company here in metroplex that makes oil field pumps to shoot salt water down in old oil wells.This company has been contracted  to manufacture twenty of these units but they didn't say who made the order.The man in charge of this round the clock project says just one of these pumping systems will drain a olympic size swimming pool in about eight seconds. He claims also that when these pumps go on line in N.O.the city will be high and dry in twenty to thirty days.Anybody out there know anything about these kind of pumps and will this work.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:43:42 AM EDT
[#1]
It'll take longer than 20 days to make those pumps.

(well, so I assume...)

I'll be surprised if NO isn't dry within a month from today. Probably less.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:47:28 AM EDT
[#2]
The Israelis hooked up MiG-29 turbine engines to pump seawater in 1991 to extinguish the oil fires.  The same sort of technique could probably be used in NO.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:56:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The Israelis hooked up MiG-29 turbine engines to pump seawater in 1991 to extinguish the oil fires.  The same sort of technique could probably be used in NO.

OMG.  Have we found yet ANOTHER use for the Super-Hornet?  
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:59:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

There might not be any significant standing water, but it won't be dry for quite a while.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:59:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There might not be any significant standing water, but it won't be dry for quite a while.

Good point - I should have been more clear.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:04:23 AM EDT
[#6]
It's going to be even worse since it will take at least until Fall to get the water out.  That hot summer sun would have really helped things dry out faster.  It's going to take a lot longer in October.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:09:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OMG.  Have we found yet ANOTHER use for the Super-Hornet?  

Didnt you know?  The Navy already uses them to fight any fires that might break out on the carriers.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:13:31 AM EDT
[#8]
They could have pumped it dry in less time...
but they kicked all the hookers out.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:40:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I saw the same story and was wishing they would have gone into more detail as to what exactly makes this pump better and when all twenty will be on line. Also I was led to bellieve that this is a new idea so do they know for sure that it will work? I know the original idea came from oil well equipment  but it is in someway different...
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:44:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

but they kicked all the hookers out.

I doubt that they swallow .... so it wouldnt matter ...
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:51:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
but they kicked all the hookers out. hr
 hock.gif
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:53:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good point - I should have been more clear.

And there is going to be a lot of very nasty mud to clean up.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:54:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:22:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Just start flushing the toilets.....
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:25:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Give each reporter and photo-op celebrity two 5-gallon pails to carry out with them. It'll be dry by nightfall.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:30:15 PM EDT
[#16]
My company is the ones that placed the 1,000,000 gal/min pumps in the city to pump it dry.  That is no typo!  That is 1 million milk jugs every minute of the day!  They are turbine driven!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:52:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Apparently almost none of the over 100 pumps in the city survived the storm and flood.  The Corps is slowly resoring the pumps in the city (plus their power grid) plus bringing in pumps from elsewhere.  I bet they get the water out a lot faster than a month unless there are heavy rains or more storms and their own estimate is early October.  

GunLvr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top