Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2005 10:01:30 AM EDT
OK...Heard about this this morning while dropping Jr. off at pre-school

In a rare show of bipartisan unity, the Senate Judiciary Committee
has voted unanimously to limit consumer access to over-the-counter cold remedies containing pseudoephedrine. Pseudoephedrine is one of the key ingredients in methamphetamine – an illegal drug that has become a scourge, especially in rural areas.

In testimony before the committee, Bush Administration and local law enforcement officials said that methamphetamine addiction has spread over the years, and the problem has now moved into urban areas in all regions of the country. One reason is the drug is cheap and easy to make. The proposed “Combat Meth Law” is designed to change that.

The legislation, sponsored by Sen. Diane Feinstein (D-CA), would require retailers to move cold medicines containing pseudoephedrine, such as Sudafed, NyQuil, and Tylenol Cold, behind counters so consumers must ask for it. It would also limit individual purchases of the drugs to 7.5 grams a month.

Feinstein says the measure would put thousands of “meth labs” out of business overnight. She also said it would provide encouragement to pharmaceutical companies that make cold remedies without pseudoephedrine.

Meth can be made using readily available household and agricultural chemicals and cold medicines. Recipes for making it are easily found on the Internet.

Am I the only one who thinks this applies like Gun Legislation does?? I mean come on...Meth makers don't BUY this stuff...they steal it. Now when my head's the size of Wyoming I am gonna have to PROVE I am not a druggie to get relief??? First guns, then cigs then meds?

We are in BIG trouble....

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:27:07 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
<snip>

The legislation, sponsored by Sen. Diane Feinstein (D-CA), would require retailers to move cold medicines containing pseudoephedrine, such as Sudafed, NyQuil, and Tylenol Cold, behind counters so consumers must ask for it. It would also limit individual purchases of the drugs to 7.5 grams a month.

<snip>

Completely unenforceable. Besides, this is an unfunded mandate. Although very popular with the liberal Congress-critters, unfunded mandates are destined to die in committee. This is proposed legislation designed to fail. When it's shot down, Feinstein will claim that the Republican are pro-meth because they killed her anti-meth legislation.

Another vain attempt to criminalize a completely legal and proper act.

"War on Drugs" my ass!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:36:32 AM EDT
[#2]
All the more reason for open season on meth heads!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:41:12 AM EDT
[#3]
typical short-sighted "solution" from feinsteine
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:41:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Seriously (I know... I am NEVER serious, but....) are we going to be legislated to death???
How can something like this even be CONSIDERED????

ETA...Please re-read the FIRST sentence...I really think the problem is not Rep VS Dem I think the problem is Legislators vs Citizens....
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:46:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I disagree with the legislation, and I will offer no justification for it.  

That being said, you will still be able to get fairly large quantities easily.  Large meaning enough for you and your extended family for a year at one time, but not enough to support a profitable meth lab.

Once again, I'll say it's a stupid bandaid law sponsored by those who do not respect or understand liberty.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:46:45 AM EDT
[#6]
The legislation, sponsored by Sen. Diane Feinstein (D-CA),

Thats all I needed to read.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:49:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I disagree with the legislation, and I will offer no justification for it.  

That being said, you will still be able to get fairly large quantities easily.  Large meaning enough for you and your extended family for a year at one time, but not enough to support a profitable meth lab.

Once again, I'll say it's a stupid bandaid law sponsored by those who do not respect or understand liberty.

As are the laws controlling other things bad for us:
Cigarettes
Guns
and coming soon:
Prohibition new milennium style.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top