Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2005 8:22:11 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:01:55 AM EDT
[#1]
A friend and I put one up in his parent's back yard a few years ago. It wasn't nearly the nightmare we were expecting. I forget where the old man had bought it, but the sheet metal was all more or less "standardized" which helped, and the 50,000 screws, nuts, etc were all sorted into bags by type. we laid everything out during the morning, and by evening, it was up. It really wasn't all that bad.

All it takes are 2 people with cordless drills & assorted screwdriver/nutdriver tips, but you'd really want to have a couple of spare batteries for each.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:25:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Two things...

Leather gloves.

Cordless drill with screwdriver/nutdriver tips.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:33:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Sure.  

The essential requirements for getting one together properly are:

Two people.

A flat location.

Ability to follow instructions.

My dad and I put one up in a day, every thing fit fine.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:33:57 AM EDT
[#4]
In my county, those are called pre-fab houses.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:36:45 AM EDT
[#5]
don't do it on a windy day either
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:37:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Did a couple for my Dad. I replaced the screws with stainless steel, self tapping screws. I like to throw in a few extra around stress points.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:13:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:34:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I did one but disliked the fasteners so I wound up using self tapping sheet metal screws instead. It actually went pretty fast and it is stills standing (mostly) today.  My dad accidentally felled part of a tree on it so it has a lopsided squished look to it, but the door still opens and it still holds out the weather
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:37:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I  bought one &   put it up , all the holes lined up fine with a drift punch , plan on a lot of screwing lol
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:51:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I've put three together in my time, and will never do another one. There was never any real problem with alignment, but one kit had four roof sheets (the four corners) that were mis-punched. After half an afternoon trying to figure out how to make the wrong ones work, we just GE-101'ed the hell out of the joints and used more screws. The labor on these is just enourmous, and when you're done, all you've got is a little tin box. The walls have no inherent strength at all, nor does the roof structure. I'd much rather have (and do indeed have) a wood building that is more easily upgradeable with shelves, windows and other features.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:53:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
don't do it on a windy day either

Every one I know of around here fell victim to the hurricane winds. Tore up alot of cars !
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:56:38 PM EDT
[#12]
What do one of those cost?  IIRC, you can buy a 40' ocean container for about $2K...
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:30:18 PM EDT
[#13]
They're not that bad to put up.  Lots of screws.  Having a 3rd person helps.  Didn't have any real problems with holes lining up when I helped a buddy put his up.  IMHO, they are very flimsy and will certainly not hold up to a heavy snow.  Make sure the wind is calm when you put it up or you'll end up with a bunch of metal flying around your yard.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:07:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I put up a small one (to hell with the HOA), I did call it the shed of a thousand screws.

Actually, its lasted a good 4 years so far.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top