Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2001 4:31:04 AM EDT
I bought some pulled .30 cal military AP and tracer bullet heads. I want to get them loaded into some .300 win mag shells. Does AP ruin the rifling on my barrel more? Has anyone made these how do they perform etc?

Link Posted: 7/21/2001 4:36:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Ah, the portion that you call the "head" is the bullet, or projectile.  The whole item is a round (cartridge, bullet, powder and primer) not a bullet.  AP projectiles are jacked or gilded with softer metals to make them bore safe.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 5:21:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Just don't load the AP into a .308 case or if you do, don't brag about it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 2:03:07 PM EDT
[#3]
If I had .300 win mag AP loaded it would be legal right?
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 2:31:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If I had .300 win mag AP loaded it would be legal right?
View Quote

Should be under Federal law, but your state?

WHAT IS AP AMMO, BY FEDERAL LAW? The definition of AP ammo is at 18 USC sec. 921(a)(17): "(B) The term `armor piercing ammunition' means- (i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed
entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or (ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile. (C) The term `armor piercing ammunition' does not include shotgun shot required by Federal or State environmental or game regulations for
hunting purposes, a frangible projectile designed for target shooting, a projectile which the Secretary finds is primarily intended
to be used for sporting purposes, or any other projectile or projectile core which the Secretary finds is intended to be used for
industrial purposes, including a charge used in an oil and gas well perforating device." [Secretary means Secretary of the
Treasury, in reality determinations are delegated to the Technology Branch of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms
(ATF)] Note the following things from the definition: 1) The definition was changed as part of the 1994 Crime Bill (9/14/94),
primarily by the addition of "full jacketed" bullets intended to be used in a handgun whose jacket is more than 25% of their weight. The previous language is at the end of this article, for comparison purposes. 2) AP ammo is the bullets ONLY, not the loaded ammo, although ATF has identified some AP ammo by the loaded ammo, not projectiles, for the information of FFL
dealers, who are not supposed to "willfully" transfer AP ammo. >From this it follows that loading the bullets identified above
into completed rounds does not constitute "making" AP ammo; making the bullets themselves does. 3) USE - The bullet must be able to be used in a handgun. Rather than construing this to mean regular handgun calibers, [b]ATF construes this to mean any caliber for which a handgun has been made, including handguns in rifle calibers, like .308 Winchester, and 7.62x39[/b], for purposes of bullets covered by (B)(i). Thus bullets suitable for these calibers, as well as other rifle calibers for which handguns have been made (at least commercially made) which are constructed as described below would or should be AP ammo.

[url]www.geocities.com/Athens/Atlantis/8820/apammo.html[/url]

Then again,I don't know, that last part looks kind of tricky.  Must be why I have never bought  .30 cal AP. :)
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 4:03:09 PM EDT
[#5]
The way the DEFINITION of armor piercing rifle ammo is written it only bans the manufacture of the bullet. You can legally load the pulled 06 APs in whatever you want.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 7:21:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 11:28:38 PM EDT
[#7]
What ya going to shoot?
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 11:38:39 PM EDT
[#8]
AP is steele in a copper case, should'nt hurt your bore one bit. Once apon a time, used to have heaps (100s) of .30 (06) tracer projectiles only.

Loaded them on to 7.62mm NATO cases. 7.62=.30, so no worries. They all functioned flawlessly. Those tcr projo's were originally from WW2 dated ctgs!
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 11:50:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Uh, If it's not legal how come I see .30 cal AP for sale at gunshows and all over the net? It never ocurred to me this was something restricted. Hell, it's not like you can take out an armored car with it anyways.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 12:06:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Used to work for one of those armoured car firms (everyone has heard of em - need I say more).

There really is not much armour on em! Just 10ga steel in most cases, and that is rusted out!.

One does not need AP to get the job done, just GP ball in 7.62 will do. Cut right through em!

Its just they look armoured. Intimidating, legendary etc. As for those 'vans' etc. Just a hard type of fiberglass inner shell. soft skin on the outside. Shocking how lightly armourered they all are.

And the bucks $$$$$$$$$ we used to carry. If the public only knew. Real shithouse wages, but it was a part time job - thank fu*k!

If a bloke was serious, realy easy pickins!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top