Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2005 6:42:47 AM EDT
I am looking for a pair of boots that will last a good long time.  I intend to beat the shit out of these boots, and I expect them to take it and ask for more. I was in the Army for 6 years and have tried every boot authorized.  I was not satisfied with any of them. can you help me
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:45:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm a huge fan of Danner Acadia boots. They go for about $200. Resoleable too.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:47:41 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

ditto
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:49:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:50:37 AM EDT
[#4]
The new style army issue Bellevilles.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:52:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The new style army issue Bellevilles.

Yeah, these are very comfy boots.  They almost feel like sneakers.  I've never abused them so I don't know what kind of mileage you'd get.  MJD
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:02:02 AM EDT
[#6]
You can not go wrong with Danner.  I have four pairs and they are great.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:03:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Timberland Pit Boss boots. I have a pair I wear to work every day and they have been going strong for over 3 years now. My only problems with them are their crappy insoles which is easily fixed and the fact that my laces only last about 6 months at the most.

BTW: I got them on sale for $85.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:07:07 AM EDT
[#8]
danner/garmont
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:16:04 AM EDT
[#9]
tag
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:24:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Rocky Boots w/ got-tex (& insulated for cold season)...
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:32:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I love my Danner Acadias, long time.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:45:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I have had good service from HiTec Magnums.  Theya re great if you are working on a hard surface and wear much longer than the .mil boots on pavement.

When it comes to boots, 'cheap' and 'good' are usually mutually exclusive.

Ops
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:53:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Mil-Spec Altama Jungle Boots. Same ones issued/used by Airborne and Rangers (from what I could see 82nd Airborne had the OD upper and black lowers). I wear them in the field, on TDY, and at the office. I never had airport security give me trouble regarding the jungle boots. I just take them off and send it through the machine. The only complaint I have is that I cracked one of the steel "punji stick plates" and it clacks when I step over small pebbles. You can get them resoled without the metal plates, which I plan to do.

I might get a different sole too - the Vibram or Ripple Soles look more comfortable than the Panama soles I have now.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:55:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ditto

Double ditto!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:04:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Merrell Sawtooth
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:34:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Regular army black boots. Maybe not the most comfortable but you can get a pair for $20.00 at the pawn shop almost new. Or the army safety boot. You usually won't find them if you are not near an army post.  Thats the cheap way comfort will cost you.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:59:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Mil-Spec Altama Jungle Boots.

Really?  I thought they sucked for comfort

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:02:08 AM EDT
[#18]
ok, I obviously need to go to sleep, I read boots as 'boobs' in the topic.

Then for kicks and grins, I read the whole post that way.

what are the best pair of boobs that are cost effective and last  

I am looking for a pair of boobs that will last a good long time. I intend to beat the shit out of these boobs, and I expect them to take it and ask for more. I was in the Army for 6 years and have tried every boob authorized. I was not satisfied with any of them. can you help me

Yeah, definitely bedtime, my mind has regressed to that of a 12 year old.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:00:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mil-Spec Altama Jungle Boots.

Really?  I thought they sucked for comfort

The most uncomfortable part of the boot would be the lack of proper inserts. I have re-used a pair of inserts that I saved from a pair of Nike cross trainers (that literally fell apart) in several boots and now I use them in the Altama Jungle Boots. It makes a WORLD of a difference in shock absorption. The standard USGI black "inserts" are quite useless. Throw them in the trash and get a good set of insoles.

The Panama soles were designed more for combat and field use rather than office/general use. The ripple soles and vibram soles are a better design for general comfort.

My Altamas currently have the Panama sole with the metal plates and when they wear out, I plan to re-sole with the Vibram or Ripple sans the metal plates.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:10:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:15:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Red Wing Boots

I have SCARS on my feet from Fucking RED wing TRASH
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:23:10 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

ditto

Double ditto!

+ Whateverwereuptonow.

You can't go wrong - these boots are the toughtest of the mil style boots.

I do have 2 pair of Montrails.  They're very comfortable and appear durable.  But they haven't been any activites that rival my mil time.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:24:24 PM EDT
[#23]
My Hi-Teks lasted a year.  That is saying a lot considering what I put them through.  Can be bought for around $100.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:25:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I wore herman survivor boots for auto repair work. Could get about a year out of em.  All other bbots tried lasted 6 months tops.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:26:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I canned Red Wings, just because I felt there had to be something more comfortable as it seems me feet have changed.

I bought Justins.

Started wearing them in April, and they're almost ready for the trash can.  I have another pair to break in and wear, but I would not recommend them to anyone other than a suit.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:55:39 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
The new Corcoran lug-sole desert boot (tan suede) is the most comfy boot I have ever worn in the 20+ years I've been wearing combat boots.  I'm a believer!

The Corcoran Marauders I saw during training were the flimsiest looking boots I ever saw. They might have been comfortable, but the soles were paper thin.

The SECDEF was shown wearing desert tan Jungle Boots in a photo in the recent Maxim magazine. Those are the same as the black jungle boots, except the desert tan is a suede material and there's no plate in the soles.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:56:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Hi-tecs.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:02:03 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I have had good service from HiTec Magnums.  Theya re great if you are working on a hard surface and wear much longer than the .mil boots on pavement.

When it comes to boots, 'cheap' and 'good' are usually mutually exclusive.

Ops

+1.

I've been wearing these for the last ten years or so.  They go on sale for $39. here every so often.  A pair usually last me two or three years.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:08:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:36:06 AM EDT
[#30]
For durable you cannot beat Danners...I have had the same pair of Acadias for 5 years now. Been resoled once but still look great. They may be slightly more but pay for themselves in the long run. Since Ive had them I have also gone through a pair of hitecs, and Oakleys and am now on a pair of 5.11 HRTs. The hiTecs were shit..uncomfortable and fell part. The oakleys lasted me about a year wearing them on patrol before both of them had a small blowout along the side seem. I can still wear them and do sometimes, as long as Im not getting feet wet. The 5.11s have been great so far, but not quite as comfy as the Oakleys.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:39:57 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
5.11 H.R.T boots have been working very well for me so far.

chiefsupply.com/images/11001_black.jpg

5.11 hrt all the way!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:52:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Matterhorn Ranger boots from UsCav about $160. I hate redwings, I have a pair and completely trash. I've had these for 5 years and they are beat to shit and the only problem is the insole is a little torn, after 5 years of wearing them EVERYDAY through every condition. And yhey are
Safety toe, water proof, insulated, thinsulated AND electrical hazard proof.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:57:34 AM EDT
[#33]
The issued boots I got were the same as the Altama Full Leather boots. Once you do the Airborne mod for the sole, it becomes a much better boot. However, it is very hot to wear in the summer. The Jungle Boots, OTOH, are good year round. I wear them in SE MI winters and I see others wearing them as well (Panama sole prints in the snow, LOL).
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:01:02 AM EDT
[#34]
What size do you wear?  I have a LIKE NEW pair of Danner Fort Lewis boots that im selling(I bought the wrong damn size!!)  And Ill give you a great deal!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:15:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:34:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Depending on what you want the boots for, don't forget the higher end US brands like Wesco, Dehner, and Chippewa, especially if you ride or will be riding motorcycles. You do get what you pay for...
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:20:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Wow... I'll keep the Corcorans in mind the next time I look for boots!

I have seen plenty of Marauders being worn around but I've gotten used to the Altama Jungle Boots. I've been wearing the same pair for 4+ years and I've gotten them to shine as well as my dress shoes. The Marauders, IIRC, have just the front part made of special leather that shines from the factory.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:32:07 AM EDT
[#38]
If your job entails standing on a concrete floor all day, keep in mind what your sole is made of. Having worn boots without any kind of cushioning dense foam in the sole will make you a very unhappy camper in a matter of hours. I know no-one else has spoken of the Timberland Pit Boss boots as I mentioned in an earlier post but they have a 1/2" thick section of dense foam in the sole which makes standing on concrete all day much more comfortable. The jungle and other assorted military boots may be comfortable walking the woods, but I couldn't last a day with that little cushioning. I am also not saying that the Timberlands are the best thing out there, but they work for me and they are not that expensive.

tbl.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pTBL-1388069dt.jpg
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:37:43 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I am looking for a pair of boots that will last a good long time.  I intend to beat the shit out of these boots, and I expect them to take it and ask for more. I was in the Army for 6 years and have tried every boot authorized.  I was not satisfied with any of them. can you help me

Wolverines have always done well for me. Just replace the outsole every year or so, and they remain comfortable.

Carolina also makes a nice long lasting boot. A buddy of mine gets at least 5 years of wear out of his, and he uses them to work in an auto exhaust factory. He has about 3 pair of Carolina boots. The newest set is for work, the set a few years older is his hunting/farm shoes, and the oldest set (which is about 10 years old) are rough but still servicable and are used as backups for when his other boots get wet.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:40:36 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Red Wing Boots

I have SCARS on my feet from Fucking RED wing TRASH

That is the first time I've ever heard someone say that.

I'm an Ironworker in NYC, and I'd venture to say that 95% of the 'workers wear RedWings

+1 on the REDWINGS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top