Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2005 8:44:33 PM EDT
My great aunt passed away a few months ago and my mother was given a box of photos. One of them is the following and we know nothing about it, not even who it is. Is that a Boy Scout uniform or something similar? If so, can anyone guess an approximate decade?

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:52:44 PM EDT
[#1]
World War One era Army uniform.

The canvas leg covers were called "puttees".
His campaign hat has a light colored hat cord that might be either Cavalry Yellow, or Infantry Blue.

Probably a boot camp photo since the campaign hat is in new condition and the brim is still stiff and flat.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:45:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
World War One era Army uniform.

The canvas leg covers were called "puttees".
His campaign hat has a light colored hat cord that might be either Cavalry Yellow, or Infantry Blue.

Probably a boot camp photo since the campaign hat is in new condition and the brim is still stiff and flat.

It's absolutely possible that this IS a Boy Scout uniform.  Scouts in the very early 1900's wore what looked JUST like that, in the picture.   If you go here: www.boyscoutstuff.com/Galleries/Equipment/equipment.html  and scroll down just a bit, you'll see original canvas leggings and campaign hat.   Old Boy Scout uniforms were, in fact, designed with U.S. military ones in mind.  

Many of the uniform parts and accessories were nearly identical.  It's honestly pretty difficult to say for sure, one way or the other, what uniform the the young man in MonkTX's pic actually is.

My guess would be Scouts, although it's exactly that; a guess....  It's really hard to say for sure, since there's no insignia or anything else definitive to judge by.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:22:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I go with WW-I. I found this pic on www.firstworldwar.com/index.htm. Look at the guy in the center.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:57:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Got to go with boy scouts. No kerchiefs on any of the soldier pics I saw. Also check his gig line and buckle. No CC or drill sargent would let him get away with that especially before a pic. The tab of of belt is way over instead of next to the buckle.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:27:25 AM EDT
[#5]
The tie and puttees look wrong for a military uniform. I thought the early puttees our guys used were a wrap that was wound around the ankle a calf not a lace up type.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top