Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2005 6:17:53 PM EDT
A slightly different slant on the gun grabs in NOLA. Found in The Dallas Morning News, Sunday, September 11, 2005 Page 6D, starting at column 1 paragraph 17

And outside, order was slowly breaking down. Armed bandits tried to hijack a Tenet supply convoy near the hospital.
    Low on medication, food and water, hospital CEO Phillip Sowa and others from his team would "run the gantlet" with sheriff deputies to forage for supplies at a Wal-Mart, a grocery store and the Sun Ray Grill.
    Police asked Meadowcrest staffer who owned guns to bring them in. The officers would be on the front lines, "but we want you to protect our backs," hospital workers were told.

I wonder if Tenet is going to change their 30.06 signs here in Texas since we're getting the NOLA refugees in now??

wganz

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:03:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Doubtful.

Because guns are bad according to the AMA - except where lawlessness has become rampant and the CEO is afraid of getting shot by looters - then they are good, until the danger passes....

Then it's business as usual.

Funny that most of the med facilities and offices here in OH have the no CCW signs, and the offices gladly put them up. Because I want to get my gun safety tips from a doctor who has never held a firearm in his life. Then they can tell me that I am 550 million percent more likely to be killed with a firearm in my home than without. The AMA sends them out and the idiot staff posts them.

Amazing.

Nobody likes guns, until you really, really need one.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:11:11 PM EDT
[#2]
As a physician, I am unaware of any AMA statute or notice regarding firearms. Ordinances against firearms in the hospitals also have nothing to do with physicians. Physicians do not own or run hospitals. The only physicians that are directly employed or subcontracted by a private hospital are the radiologists and anesthesiologists. Everyone else (doctor wise) is independent.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:35:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
As a physician, I am unaware of any AMA statute or notice regarding firearms. Ordinances against firearms in the hospitals also have nothing to do with physicians. Physicians do not own or run hospitals. The only physicians that are directly employed or subcontracted by a private hospital are the radiologists and anesthesiologists. Everyone else (doctor wise) is independent.

Sir,

I understand this, but the New England Journal of Medicine is as biased against guns as the Brady Bunch. They publish anti gun articles all the time.

From the office staff that I talked with at 2 offices, they indicated that they got them from either AMA or some AMA affiliated source. They could be wrong. I haven't checked with hospitals around here, only doctor offices so far. But all the clinics, hospitals, labs and dentists have the signs. Although I have seen one doctor that does not have a sign posted.

Also, a trend that I have seen in the last 10 years or so is the inclusion of gun related surveys in med history forms for the patients. You know, how you store guns at home, how many, etc. I would like to know where this started and who gets the info or why they want it.

Thanks.

ETA: I went to get a drug test in Phx while armed. No posted signs, so I went in armed. It was a bad area anyway. You should have seen the staff when I took off my cover garment and they were staring at my holstered 1911. It was priceless.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:14:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Most physicians are only tenants of office buildings and not landlords. Houston has city ordinances restricting CCW in govt buildings, schools, hospitals but this is a local govt issue. AMA is a useless and toothless organization that has absolutely no power whatsoever. Most physicians do not even support the AMA.

Locally, medical staff inlcuding physicians and nurses have fought the CCW issue due to limited security surrounding public hospitals in the parking garages, etc. Personally, I carry a CRKT folder rather than a gun only because I would rather not get into any trouble forgetting  that it is in my bag and stepping into a bank or other municipality.

My point being that docs in general are not anti-gun. The AMA may be officially but that's about as useful as wet toilet paper. I was ogling one of my patient's Kimber Ultra Carry the other day....
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:18:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:24:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Tenet is a proprietary Hospital chain that owns many hospitals across the country, similar to HCA but smaller.

HH
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:31:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What's TENET?  I'm assuming it's a facility in New Orleans?

Apologies for assuming that everyone knew what I knew:

www.tenethealth.com/TenetHealth

Tenet is a chain of hospital systems that is headquartered in Dallas, Texas. They are presently undergoing a 'realignment' and selling off the unprofitable/marginal hospitals. I presently work prn as an RN for one of Tenet's hospitals in the Dallas area. My 'fulltime' employer is a vendor for Tenet.

HTH,

wganz

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top