Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2005 4:39:01 PM EDT

That video of that woman that was tackled by the California police officer, got me wondering. What law gives police officers from out of state or any other jurisdiction authority to do the policing they are doing in New Orleans? I'm sure there is one, but I don't know of it. Anybody know, so I don't go crazy thinking about this?

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:44:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag.

They were probably "deputized", or given temporary authority. Kind of like a posse in the old west
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:44:34 PM EDT
[#2]
its given by the govenor.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Tag.

They were probably "deputized", or given temporary authority. Kind of like a posse in the old west

I figured it probably had to be something like that.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:54:08 PM EDT
[#4]
It depends on the state they are in.  

Here in California it is not the Governor but the State Attorney General.

Also here in California the Sheriff or Police Chief can "Deputize" or in the case of the Police "Special Officer".

For the Federal Government it is the US Marshal of the District.

I suspect it is the Louisiana Attorney General who is the chief LEO of LA.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:55:34 PM EDT
[#5]

So the way it goes, somebody in the state government waves a wand and they all become "deputies" of that state, or local jurisdiction. Ok, got it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:09:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So the way it goes, somebody in the state government waves a wand and they all become "deputies" of that state, or local jurisdiction. Ok, got it.

It is just the same for the Nat Guard.  The Governor must ask the other states and not the Feds for their Guard units, if they want to have them perform a law enforcement activity.

This is legal because State Active Duty allows the NG to fall under Title 32 funding, which is exempt from the Posse Commitatus Act.  Neat little loophole, because the Feds control that purse, too.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:18:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The authority can also be granted  by an interstate compact that has been passed by the state legislature in each state. Certain police officers have multiple state authority although they may be required to have specific training in each state they operate in.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top