Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2005 3:58:10 PM EDT
Motorcycle or ATV?  I know what kind of motorcycle I would buy and I think I have found the ATV I want however I can’t “get both.”  Why get a motorcycle?  Less gas which is a good thing and it would also give me an opportunity to do some touring in my free time.  Why get an ATV?  Well….. because it would be fun?

So, which would you get?  FYI, I’m not asking for advice on which motorcycle to buy.. I don’t want this to turn in to a damn Harley v. everything else thread.  However, if you wish to make an ATV suggestion, do so and explain why.  Thanks :)

2006 FourTrax Foreman Rubicon

Engine Type 499cc liquid-cooled OHV dry-sump longitudinally mounted single-cylinder four-stroke
Transmission Fully automatic hydromechanical, continuously variable with electronic controls
Driveline Direct front and rear driveshafts with torque-sensitive front differential
Dry Weight 600 pounds
Base MSRP   $7,299

Take this rugged full-size ATV out for a long day's worth of work or play and you'll see why it shares its name with one of the world's toughest trails. Picture 499cc of Hondamatic-equipped muscle packed inside a frame plus front disc brakes, TraxLok 2WD/4WD and stylish new Honda SUV trim—simply put: a workhorse that'll go all day without even breaking a sweat.

Honda product website

Moto Guzzi Breva 1100

Engine 90º V-Twin, 4 stroke
Cooling system Air-cooled
Displacement 1064 cc
Maximum power 91 hp @ 7800 rpm
Maximum torque 70 ft/lbs. @ 6000 rpm
Gear box 6 speed
Instruments Active matrix LCD display with speedometer w/ tripmeter, tachometer, and warning lights
MSRP $11,990

Breva 1100 -- A new generation of touring bikes is here from Moto Guzzi. The Breva V 1100 is a completely redesigned 90º V-Twin with a new, larger alternator positioned between the cylinder heads, new oil sump design, and lighter pistons to reduce crankcase inertia and reduce vibration.

With its modern Italian design, technological innovations, and the prestige of owning one of motorcycling histories most treasured marquees, the Breva V 1100 is the perfect motorcycle for the rider that hopes the road will never end.

Link
Full Specs
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:00:13 PM EDT
[#1]
don't get the Guzzi unless you plan on spending lots of time at the shop.  I have owned several italian makes and models over the years.  The Guzzi's are by far and away the worst especially since the near bankruptcy of Aprilia (parent company) two years ago.  Trust me, get something, anything beside a Guzzi.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:00:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Like that should even be a question. Get the bike.

Edit to say, it doesn't matter what kind of bike, but it would almost certainly be a better choice.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:08:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Get the Honda ATV. Riding around on the streets is boring.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:10:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Get the Honda ATV. Riding around on the streets is boring.

it is if all you do is put around the same old streets day after day.  Try riding as in really riding, otherwise you might as well just drive a car.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:27:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a Polaris Sportsman 400.  (Awaiting flames from people that don't own a Polaris)
Everyone on my rmountain ridge has a Polaris except for two people. One guy has that crappy Honda. His doens't have the independant rear suspension and it rides like a roller skate. I ride my Polaris every day. ZERO problems. No one else has had any problems with the 400 either.
The cool thing about a 4 wheeler is that it is so much more utilitarian. After you roll over to your neighbor's house, it's a seat with a cooler in it. Your dog can jump on with you, you can carry deer out of the woods, you can transport lots of guns and ammo... so on so forth. Get an ATV man, you'll never regret it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:35:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Get the Guzzi I've always thought they had a unique look and it's definitely a bike that'll set you apart from the crowd.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:37:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Skip that big heavy utility quad, ride something a bit faster and more fun.   If you have no ATV experience you'd be shocked where a 2wd quad will go, it's more a matter of tire selection and riding ability than anything on most terrain.  

686cc with EFI schweeet!

I've got an 01 Raptor with a 686cc 12:1 comp motor and some other not so minor modifications running 58RWHP.  (sparks exhaust, Keihen 35mm FCRs, HC Stage 2, P&P and a +4.5"swingarm) Damned fast and fun

In some states you can license an ATV for ON ROAD use.  It's worth checking into
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:42:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Skip that big heavy utility quad, ride something a bit faster and more fun.
I don't see that little thing carrying me and my gear into the woods for deer, or carrying a deer out for some reason.
If you have land, you will find a lot of uses for an ATV. They even make good snow plows. Oh, and the 400 Sportsman will pull a good size tree out by the rootball with no problem. The list goes on and on. Very utilitarian.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:46:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I vote for the ATV. The Polaris is a great bike, and just like Ford, Chevy, and Dodge they all have their +/-. For what you were considering spending on that Italian cycle, you may want to look at the new Bombardier 800. It's got independant rear suspension, fuel injection, will crawl thru the goop all day, and is also a hot rod.
If I were looking for a 4x4 ATV, I'd personally look into a Kawasaki Prairie 650. They've been a shootout winner since they were introduced.They're an excellent bike, and fairly priced. It just dawned on me that the c.c.'s were raised this year, but I don't know what the numbers are.
If you wanted something sportier, Honda has a 450R, that is a rocket on the trail....or go all out and get the Yamaha YFZ450.
J.
Edit: That new Raptor is sweeeeeet!!!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:48:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Motorcycle.

If you want 4 wheels, get a car.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:50:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Actually if you must go with a utility you might as well go with a Kawasaki Brute Force 750.   Currently the least boring of the Ute's.     The 750 is at least enough to keep you from falling asleep

My deer run to my truck to die after being shot, but that's a different story
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:50:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I don't see that little thing carrying me and my gear into the woods for deer, or carrying a deer out for some reason.
If you have land, you will find a lot of uses for an ATV. They even make good snow plows. Oh, and the 400 Sportsman will pull a good size tree out by the rootball with no problem. The list goes on and on. Very utilitarian.

I'll have to agree here.  I wouldnt ever buy one of those mini-racer things.. just not what I am looking for.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:54:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Get the atv it is much easier to ride on snow with 4 wheels than 2
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:55:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll have to agree here.  I wouldnt ever buy one of those mini-racer things.. just not what I am looking for.

The Raptor is definitely not in the mini-racer category but if you're looking utility check this one out.
www.kawasaki.com/product_detail.asp?product=118&category=1&tag=atv
I have a riding buddy with one and I finally dont have to wait for him to catch up all the time.   You never regret having extra power on tap, you'll definitely regret not having enough.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:55:52 PM EDT
[#15]
well, u said not to tell u to get both.....

but u could always buy used...... and do just that
just be picky about which used vehicles u buy
so my vote is Get Both!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:56:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Mr45auto...you nailed it... The Brute force 750 is the rebadged, etc prairie.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:39:59 PM EDT
[#17]
The motorcycle is more practical.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:19:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Raptor is definitely not in the mini-racer category but if you're looking utility check this one out.
www.kawasaki.com/product_detail.asp?product=118&category=1&tag=atv
I have a riding buddy with one and I finally dont have to wait for him to catch up all the time.   You never regret having extra power on tap, you'll definitely regret not having enough.  

I will definatly add that to my list of considerations.  Thanks :)
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:22:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Get an older Toyota 4x4 pickup and you won't need an ATV.

Then you can get a bike. I ride my bikes 15-20K per year, when I had an ATV I used it a couple of times during the summer, then during deer season. Other than that it was in the way.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#20]
ATVs are toys, motorcycles are a way of life...
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:39:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Get a bike.

If you live in an area that doesn't get too much rain or snow, you'll definitely have more opportunities to enjoy the bike.

Quads can be fun off road (though I prefer dirt bikes) but, unless you are fortunate enough to go riding from your back porch and have access to several miles of open terrain, you won't find the quad as convenient to use.

I've got a Kawasaki ZRX 1100 that I ride daily and absolutely enjoy the hell out of. A couple of weeks ago I pulled off a 3320 mile trip from L.A. to Canada and back in a week. Best time I've had in a long while.

Get a bike. You will not regret it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:56:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Get the Suzuki DRZ400SM
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:58:37 PM EDT
[#23]
ATV, because four wheels are better than two.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:03:08 PM EDT
[#24]
4 wheels are for those who can't master two....

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:06:58 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Isnt that like saying AR's are for people who cant master a single shot?

Different machines entirely, I like bikes and quads but prefer quads for fun.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:08:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

no its not the same, because the performance of a two wheeler will out run and out handle a quad any day of the week.  If you were talking about most accurate shot at distance then maybe, but we're talking about apples and apples comparison.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:25:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Get the Honda ATV.............this is the 2005 Foreman 500, and just so you know.............The OD Green models are Faster

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:26:27 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

no its not the same, because the performance of a two wheeler will out run and out handle a quad any day of the week.   If you were talking about most accurate shot at distance then maybe, but we're talking about apples and apples comparison.

Not off road, snow, mud, really rough terrain, 4 is better than 2.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:46:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Go Used, Get both =)
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:14:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Mr P., I've owned plenty of both so when it comes to recreational vehicles I have but one thing to say:  "The more wheels you have the maintenance you have, period!"  Bike (2 wheels) Quad (4 wheels) = twice the work when it comes time to repair.  After 2 quads 7 dirt bikes and 7 street bikes I now own and ride a Yamaha YZ450F   'nough said...
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:16:08 PM EDT
[#31]
uh.......one other thing,  in sand and snow the quad will hold a very slight edge...
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:19:41 PM EDT
[#32]
in the snow maybe but I don't recall too many quads winning the Baja races do you?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:33:16 PM EDT
[#33]
What do you plan on doing with it? If you just want something to hot-rod around on, get a bike. If you want something that can work, hauling rock and lumber, put a sprayer on it, fill the front cargo area with ice and beverages and roll over to the neighbors, so on so forth get an ATV. Millions of uses, in fact I would rather have a Kubota diesel rather than a 4 wheeler, but they are more money. Yesterday I tied my winch around a bunch of old fence posts for my neighbor and pulled them out. It sure made short work of them. I'd like to see a bike do that. I have trouble rationalizing a toy that doesn't serve in any real functional capacity. Oh, and my 4 wheeler makes a great improvised bench rest for target shooting, and will carry a whole lot more guns and ammo than a bike.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#34]
The Rincon is a good quad, more geared towards sport riding. If you put big mud tires on it/ haul alot you will notice a lack of low-end power. If you want a good trail rider, the rincon is it. A worker from Honda is the 500 Foreman 4x4.

I have had several bikes and quads. I like Honda, and I like quads for the fun/work dual role.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:15:32 PM EDT
[#35]
http://www.polarisindustries.com

NUFF SAID
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:26:27 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
in the snow maybe but I don't recall too many quads winning the Baja races do you?

Of course they do...in the quad categary.

I vote ATV...less likely to get hit by some dumbass not paying attention.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:48:01 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I know a trail at Ballinger Canyon (Ca) that's about 6 inches wide, one side is a cliff/steep mountain side that's about 1200 feet, the other is the granite outcropping / face of the mountain.
No quad will EVER soil that trail.

Ice studs and low tire pressure and I can ride in all but the deepest snow.

Really rough terrain? I can get off a bike and carry it if I have to.

Let's see that quad make it up a 4 foot vertical rock face.

Quads are fun cause you don't have to worry about balance or counter-steering.

Oh yea, what happens to a quad when you want to traverse a steep hill sideways.
On a bike I'll just lean into the hillside.
On a quad you'll roll and roll and roll.....

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:21:09 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Fun factor only..................
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:38:20 PM EDT
[#39]
How many acres are there in North America?

I'd take whatever can cover the most of it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:04:59 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know a trail at Ballinger Canyon (Ca) that's about 6 inches wide, one side is a cliff/steep mountain side that's about 1200 feet, the other is the granite outcropping / face of the mountain.

And only an fool would on a bike, and if you do that sort of riding very often....then R.I.P.

Until you get stuck with your high ground pressure one wheel drive and end up carrying your bike, have you ever ridden in snow? Real snow?.....You don't see lots of people on bikes around here in the winter, its quads or snowmobiles.

If you have to carry it, maybe you really need a 4x4 quad, and while you carry it, how much else can you carry?

Who gives a shit, people who ride like that end up in the emergency room.

Quads are fun cause you can do more, carry more, camping, hunting, or hauling a trailer full of firewood around.

Long ago, I was into dirt bikes, then after seeing a few of my friends getting badly hurt and getting hurt myself, I grew up.

Dirt bikes are toys, and in this part of the country, not nearly as capable as a good quad.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:33:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Depends what you want to do.  Bikes are fun if you want to go fast and jump and go throught tight trails.  Sure you can jump quads, but it is harder and they are slower and way rougher.  If you want to hall stuff and use it as a small all terrain tractor get a quad. If you want to ride tracks get a bike, it will take you longer to learn it but it is way better.

However if you want to get a bike you can tour on the road and do some offroading I would recommend a KTM 625 SXC.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:23:37 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Go Used, Get both =)

+1

Apply Arfcom logic here, avoid decisions, get both!!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:37:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Moto Guzzi motorcycles are high maintenance? I know a guy that rides Guzzis exclusively, including an '84. He rides several thousand miles a year and has never once mentioned that to me. Is this an issue with newer Guzzis or what? I ask because I'm looking at getting a sport-touring bike myself.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:00:16 AM EDT
[#44]
I have owned several bikes; 1992 CBR600F2, 1995 Kawasaki Zx7, 1996 CBR 900, 1998 Kawasaki ZX7R, 2000 Ducati 748, and a 2002 Harley Softail Deuce.  I currently no longer have a bike and can honestly say I don't miss it too much.  I've got a 2003 Suzuki Vinson 500 ATV and have a blast on it when i have the time to ride.  If you've got access to land to ride on and know anyone that rides atv's I'd get one over a bike.  You can ride them rain or shine (mud is fun), any time of the year (unless the snow gets too deep...), and it doesn't hurt as bad if you scratch it.  Don't get me wrong, bikes are fun (I miss the Ducati the most) but getting out on the atv and away from the idiots on the road is nice.  Good luck on your decision.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:02:57 AM EDT
[#45]
you guys are ALL high.....the OBVIOUS answer here would be to get a dualsport motorcycle....you can take it offroad, AND tour on it if you buy the right one!!

KLR650 baby...all day long and twice on sunday!!!

problem solved, that'll be $52.95..the bill is in the mail....

NEXT!!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:05:30 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Moto Guzzi motorcycles are high maintenance? I know a guy that rides Guzzis exclusively, including an '84. He rides several thousand miles a year and has never once mentioned that to me. Is this an issue with newer Guzzis or what? I ask because I'm looking at getting a sport-touring bike myself.

yes they are.  Make no mistake about it Guzzis are high maintenance.  Take a look over at powersportsnetwork or any of the moto guzzi forums.  Read what the majority of the owners are saying.  In short, great charachter bike, but not for someone who really rides a lot.
Here are my two rides:
BMW R1200GS

Aprilia SL1000R Falco
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 12:44:49 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes they are.  Make no mistake about it Guzzis are high maintenance.  Take a look over at powersportsnetwork or any of the moto guzzi forums.  Read what the majority of the owners are saying.  In short, great charachter bike, but not for someone who really rides a lot.
Here are my two rides:
BMW R1200GS
i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/InFALaBill/31Jul050492.jpg
Aprilia SL1000R Falco
i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/InFALaBill/14May05050.jpg

nice BMW!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:13:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Actually mrphelps does not want the kind of motorcycle I am thinking about.
He would probably be happy with a quad if he wanted to go off road.

I have ridden in deep Eastern Washington snow up to my hips.
You are right, a snow mobile is much better in the snow than a motorcycle.
I road that trail at Ballinger Canyon every time I went out there.
Gotta have hair on the balls to ride it.
We are talking about two different types of riding.
On a dirt bike I carry extra gas, a small set of tools, a basic first air kit, water, energey food, duct tape, safety wire, a spare clutch/brake lever and perch and some TP.
It all fits in a small bag except the water and gas.
I am not taking my bike to go shoot and drag out a 1200 lb elk.  
I know a few places in Washington where your 4 whlle drive quad would be worthless.
If I were to own a quad it would either be a Banshee or a Raptor.
Now if I were going to hunt, camp, fish, farm or go comune with nature then I would want the quad.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And only an fool would on a bike, and if you do that sort of riding very often....then R.I.P.

Until you get stuck with your high ground pressure one wheel drive and end up carrying your bike, have you ever ridden in snow? Real snow?.....You don't see lots of people on bikes around here in the winter, its quads or snowmobiles.

If you have to carry it, maybe you really need a 4x4 quad, and while you carry it, how much else can you carry?

Who gives a shit, people who ride like that end up in the emergency room.

Quads are fun cause you can do more, carry more, camping, hunting, or hauling a trailer full of firewood around.

Long ago, I was into dirt bikes, then after seeing a few of my friends getting badly hurt and getting hurt myself, I grew up.

Dirt bikes are toys, and in this part of the country, not nearly as capable as a good quad.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top