Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/11/2005 2:26:20 PM EDT

Bitches should be arrested for this.

No one in Fema saw this coming?

www.nydailynews.com/news/gossip/story/345032p-294601c.html

Lavish tastes of card-carrying lowlifes

Profiteering ghouls have been using debit cards distributed in the wake of Hurricane Katrina - intended to buy essentials for evacuated families - in luxury-goods stores as far away as Atlanta.

"We've seen three of the cards," said a senior employee of the Louis Vuitton store at the Lenox Square Mall in affluent Buckhead, who asked not to be named. "Two I'm certain have purchased; one actually asked if she could use it in the store. This has been since Saturday."

The distinctive white cards were distributed by the Red Cross and the Federal Emergency Management Agency and carry a value of up to $2,000.

"It doesn't say anything on the card other than alcohol, tobacco and firearms cannot be purchased with it," the store employee told me. "There's nothing legally that prevents us from taking it, unfortunately. Other than morally, it's wrong."

The source told me that the two women who had made purchases with the card each bought a signature monogrammed Louis Vuitton handbag in the $800 range.

"They didn't look destitute by any stretch. You would never have said, 'They must be one of the evacuees.' … The one that I dealt with yesterday was 20. She'll be 21 next month." The source described the reaction of other store-keepers in the mall - which includes luxury brands Ferragamo, Burberry, Judith Leiber and Neiman Marcus - as "outrage."

"It doesn't say anywhere on there, but it would have to be a good amount to be shopping in here," the source said with a dark chuckle.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:28:02 PM EDT
[#1]
* speechless * (but not surprised)
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:28:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Does this supprise you?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:29:09 PM EDT
[#3]
If they had any class; they'd have called the cops on them or at least turned them away. Some retailers at least have figured it out; out the unscrupulous ones.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:29:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Ray Charles could have seen that one coming.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:31:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:32:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Remind me again why I didnt donate......
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:33:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Unfortunately, I am sure many of our charity dollars have gone directly from the ATM to the crack dealer

Sheesh.............

and your right, Painless.... Ray Charles saw this one
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:33:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Before I knew the Red Cross was planning to do this "Debit Card" thingy I and the wife donated $300 to the Red Cross Disastery Recovery Fund.

Some dumb ass just spent it all on a purse.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:33:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Actually you did donate the money they spent on those cards...
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:35:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Unfortunately, I am sure many of our charity dollars have gone directly from the ATM to the crack dealer

Sheesh.............

and your right, Painless.... Ray Charles saw this one

That idea had Charlie Foxtrot written all over it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:35:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Does this supprise you?

Ummmmm.......NO

Not in the slightest
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:37:25 PM EDT
[#13]
What a shocker
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:37:50 PM EDT
[#14]
The remaining balance on those cards and any other ones with obvious abuses should be voided immediately.  It wouldn't be hard to do.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:38:25 PM EDT
[#15]
thank you for giving me a nice chuckle on this sad day. I needed that.  and can I say.  Bwa- hahah - hahah   ha.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:38:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Uhhh, I said it earlier....."FUBU for everybody......"

Wish I was wrong, people.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:40:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:42:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
How much more useful is an 800 dollar purse than an 80 dollar one? It better be bigger on the inside than it is on the outside, and thats not possible. Some serious weird shit goin on. Cuz its still a stupid fucking piece of leather.

About as useful as a flashy cellphone with a rapper singing as the ringtone and a picture of spinners as the display.

The only phone I got was the black one that rang and was free.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:43:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Tell them not to worry.........

There is plenty more money on the way to complete their wardrobe
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:50:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

+1.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:52:30 PM EDT
[#21]
whodathunkit?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:52:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I gave nice cash to the Chabad down there.  They are helping people of all faiths and I know it goes to the effort immediately.  I did give some money to the ARC, but now obviosuly regret doing so in a huge way.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:55:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Hmm, good thing I donated to the RED CROSS. Maybe I'll never give to charity again.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:55:41 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You did too donate it, by holding down a JOB! It's called INCOME TAXES!

Congratulations American taxpayers! You are now buying chickenheads and crack hoes expensive handbags!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:56:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Unbelievable
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:57:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How much more useful is an 800 dollar purse than an 80 dollar one? It better be bigger on the inside than it is on the outside, and thats not possible. Some serious weird shit goin on. Cuz its still a stupid fucking piece of leather.

About as useful as a flashy cellphone with a rapper singing as the ringtone and a picture of spinners as the display.

The only phone I got was the black one that rang and was free.

Lucky!
All i got was a silver one.
But it was still free.

I need a phone. To make phone calls. I dont need text messaging, I dont need pictures, I dont need video, email, internet, news and music. I dont need 50 different ringtones.
I need a phone that goes "ring ring ring" and lets me talk to people. Thats it.

Guess I'm old fashioned and out of style.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:57:34 PM EDT
[#27]
I knew this would happen , how stupid is FEMA?

Im sure people put it to good use. But off course some dumbass are going to abuse it. Now they wont have the stuff they need
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:58:05 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WRONG! You did too donate it, by holding down a JOB! It's called INCOME TAXES!

Sad, but true.  Where is the $52 mil coming from...taxes.  But, I think everyone's point is that they haven't contributed more directly in addition to taxes.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:59:06 PM EDT
[#29]
I would have refused the sale. Sorry, shop somewhere else.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:03:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Reading is fundamental, dullh...
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:05:29 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Congratulations American taxpayers! You are now buying Mud Ducks and crack hoes expensive handbags!

I think Mud Ducks is the correct term!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:22:13 PM EDT
[#32]
no surprise here, the best is yet to come - wait until they use them to buy crack
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:23:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:24:33 PM EDT
[#34]
No, I didnt donate.
I may have paid, but it sure as shit wasnt a donation.

And the minute you actually CAN do that "Pay no taxes!" bullshit you can bet your last red cent I'll sign up and tell uncle Sam to keep his "benefits" and I'll keep my paychecl and be happy.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:25:25 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I don't think I've ever spent more than $50 on a purse.  I could have bought 16 of them with my FEMA card!

You'd think that high-end stores would be the first to say, "We don't take your government money here, you're hereby refused service."  But oh what some people will do for commission
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think I've ever spent more than $50 on a purse.  I could have bought 16 of them with my FEMA card!

You'd think that high-end stores would be the first to say, "We don't take your government money here, you're hereby refused service."  But oh what some people will do for commission

Seriously. The store should be boycotted as being complicit in the rape of the taxpayer (although doubt that anyone buying LV gives a shit about anything but their own vanity)

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:27:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Well at least Sprint, KFC, and Fubu stock will all go up!

Reparations 2005!

FLABBERGASTING!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:33:12 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Bitches should be arrested for this.

No one in Fema saw this coming?

www.nydailynews.com/news/gossip/story/345032p-294601c.html

Lavish tastes of card-carrying lowlifes

Profiteering ghouls have been using debit cards distributed in the wake of Hurricane Katrina - intended to buy essentials for evacuated families - in luxury-goods stores as far away as Atlanta.

"We've seen three of the cards," said a senior employee of the Louis Vuitton store at the Lenox Square Mall in affluent Buckhead, who asked not to be named. "Two I'm certain have purchased; one actually asked if she could use it in the store. This has been since Saturday."

The distinctive white cards were distributed by the Red Cross and the Federal Emergency Management Agency and carry a value of up to $2,000.

"It doesn't say anything on the card other than alcohol, tobacco and firearms cannot be purchased with it," the store employee told me. "There's nothing legally that prevents us from taking it, unfortunately. Other than morally, it's wrong."

The source told me that the two women who had made purchases with the card each bought a signature monogrammed Louis Vuitton handbag in the $800 range.

"They didn't look destitute by any stretch. You would never have said, 'They must be one of the evacuees.' … The one that I dealt with yesterday was 20. She'll be 21 next month." The source described the reaction of other store-keepers in the mall - which includes luxury brands Ferragamo, Burberry, Judith Leiber and Neiman Marcus - as "outrage."

"It doesn't say anywhere on there, but it would have to be a good amount to be shopping in here," the source said with a dark chuckle.

Just the shit birds finally surfacing.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:38:59 PM EDT
[#39]
I knew something like this would happen.  When given free food, they complain it's inedible.  When given clothes donated by folks, they'll just complain they're not name brand and throw them away or use them to mop.  When given free money.........

I'll try to forget this yet another infuriating waste of my HARD EARNED money when I have to write a $4000 check for my quarterly estimated income tax payment.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:58:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:20:34 PM EDT
[#41]
This happens quite often. How does the saying go, you can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink. Sounds like this horse took a bath in it. Trust me, things come back to get people like this. I have dealt with plenty of people that spent their money on the wrong things and they are still homeless and broke. Eventually they get a letter from the .gov asking for it back. It will catch up with these people eventually.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:25:12 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Before I knew the Red Cross was planning to do this "Debit Card" thingy I and the wife donated $300 to the Red Cross Disastery Recovery Fund.

Some dumb ass just spent it all on a purse.

You actually owe them $500.00, the purse was $800.00.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:27:49 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
It will catch up with these people eventually.

Not until, as the old gospel song says, "When Morning Sweeps the Eastern Sky."
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
So two people abused their benefit...  Let's make a shot in the dark guess that 1,000 more will mirror that sort of behavior.  That comes to what? Less than one half of one percent of the recipients?  Yet they're all crackhead, mooching, lowlifes...

Just like all gun owners are murderers. I have seen a lot of good come out of this money. Families reunited, clothes for people that literally where wearing a pair of boxers, food, shelter (other than mass shelters), transportation, the list goes on. Remember that "you" aren't the only ones that contribute tax dollars to support this, so do the disaster victims themselves. Not all disaster victims are poor white/black trash either. I personally benefited from disaster assistance in the form of a rent free FEMA mobile home until housing came available. No, I am not a crackhead or moocher. I work 7 days a week, often 12 hours a day or more. Sometimes people need help. Hell, I talked to people that have money, but their banks were impacted and accounts were frozen. They have money, but cannot get to it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:30:52 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It will catch up with these people eventually.

Not until, as the old gospel song says, "When Morning Sweeps the Eastern Sky."

FEMA gets the money back from people that are not entitled to it. I have seen it personally on several occasions.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:31:04 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
So two people abused their benefit...  Let's make a shot in the dark guess that 1,000 more will mirror that sort of behavior.  That comes to what? Less than one half of one percent of the recipients?  Yet they're all crackhead, mooching, lowlifes...

Who said that? Nobody. Just you. Most are talking about the TWO women that did this. I am sure there are more, but it doesn't mean everybody. Why do you have to take a crap on a threads like this? Is it, that you don't want people to see reality? And yeah, they should be put in jail for mis-use of government funds.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:37:21 PM EDT
[#47]
I heard this yesterday on Fox. The cards should have been restricted to specific merchant codes but there are ways around that as well. As I understand it they could have just withdrawn the cash at an ATM with the cards they were issued.  

It's not real money anyway. It's gubmint money silly.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:42:18 PM EDT
[#48]
How many of these cards have been traded for alchohol and drugs...a lot of them?

Betcha boatloads....

HH
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:43:12 PM EDT
[#49]
No one should be suprized!! Anyone here could name a store they could go to and get $500 cash for a $1000 charge. This is the going rate, I'm sure the store could get a better rate of exchange under certian conditions.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:43:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Somebody prolly bought it off a refugee for 50% of value, just like food stamps.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top