Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2005 2:18:08 PM EDT
I was talking with a few friends of mine the other day and we all came to the conclusion that Texas' crime rate will probably go up while there are "refugees, evacuees, displaced citizens,etc.etc." in state. I'm all for helping the victims, although some are not victims as much as they want everyone to believe, but that is another topic. The point of the converstation quickly turned to gun rights. Texas just revised a law that allows a law abiding gun owner to carry a concealed handgun in thier vehicle. We think, and I want to hear opinions on this not flames, that if the crime rate did go up it will be attributed to the handgun law not the 250,000 extra people that came in to the state at roughly the same time.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:47:12 PM EDT
[#1]
In my opinion, the Texas crime rate will be on the rise as a result of the influx of criminals from Louisiana.   Out of a quarter million people, a small percentage of bad apples still amounts to a sizeable number.  Say 5% are violent criminals.  That's 12,500 people.  So make it 1%.  That still comes to 2,500 violent criminals that we didn't have before.

The libs will certainly attempt to tie any rise in the crime rate to the "ease" with which we Texans can acquire, own and transport firearms.  And as with every other state with a majority of its population in large cities, the sheep will rule the day and liberty will lie bleeding on the altar of the common good.

Alpine (Starting to sound shrill.  I need a beer.)

Edited for accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:13:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe Texas "DID NOT" make it legal. They only defined what the definition of traveling is. It is not a defense to prosecution. You still can't carry while you go to the 7-11, only if truely traveling.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:23:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not here to debate the legalities of the law. You interperet how you will.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:29:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't houston will notice...

San Antonio might.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:52:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I believe Texas "DID NOT" make it legal. They only defined what the definition of traveling is. It is not a defense to prosecution. You still can't carry while you go to the 7-11, only if truely traveling.

Actually, the way I understand it, it IS a defense to prosecution but it doesnt mean you wont get arrested first.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:24:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't believe that all yall saw of this post was the freakin handgun law. Traveling is getting in your car and going somewhere. The gun stays in the car, you are not a gang member, and can legally own a firearm then you shouldnt have a problem. Go to http://www.packing.org/state/texas/

§46.15 NONAPPLICABILITY

(a) Sections 46.02 and § 46.03 do not apply to: (3) People traveling;

§46.15 (i)

(i) For purposes of Subsection (b)(3), a person is presumed to be traveling if the person is:
(1) in a private motor vehicle;
(2) not otherwise engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic;
(3) not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing a firearm;
(4) not a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01; and
(5) not carrying a handgun in plain view.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:33:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I can't believe that all yall saw of this post was the freakin handgun law. Traveling is getting in your car and going somewhere. The gun stays in the car, you are not a gang member, and can legally own a firearm then you shouldnt have a problem. Go to http://www.packing.org/state/texas/

§46.15 NONAPPLICABILITY

(a) Sections 46.02 and § 46.03 do not apply to: (3) People traveling;

§46.15 (i)

(i) For purposes of Subsection (b)(3), a person is presumed to be traveling if the person is:
(1) in a private motor vehicle;
(2) not otherwise engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic;
(3) not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing a firearm;
(4) not a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01; and
(5) not carrying a handgun in plain view.

Yeah, but the police in most big cities are flauting the law. Here's a statement from the TX DPS on the issue:

New Law on Carrying Firearm while “Traveling”
(House Bill 823, 79th Regular Legislative Session, amending Penal Code
Sections 2.05 and 46.15)

In Texas, it is generally unlawful to carry a handgun in public, including within a private
vehicle. However, Texas also recognizes several exceptions. One such exception is applicable
when the citizen is “traveling.”

“Traveling” has never been defined by the legislature. Texas courts have said that in
general, the determination of whether a citizen is traveling is to be determined on a case by case
basis, depending on the specific circumstances. Texas courts have generally considered the
distance, time, and mode of travel in determining whether the citizen is traveling and have found
“traveling” to generally encompass overnight travel, through multiple counties.

The change in the law, effective September 1, 2005, places the burden of proof on the
State rather than the citizen as to whether or not the citizen was traveling. In other words, the
State must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the citizen was NOT traveling, rather than the
citizen having to prove that he or she WAS traveling. The new law also describes the
circumstances under which a citizen will be presumed by a jury to be traveling.

Some local law enforcement and prosecuting agencies have indicated that they will
continue to make arrests and file charges when they encounter citizens carrying handguns in
motor vehicles and will allow juries to determine whether citizens were traveling.
DPS has no
authority to determine or to comment on how this law will be enforced by the various local law
enforcement and prosecuting agencies in the State of Texas.

www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/Traveling.pdf

As to the other question, the answer is yes, crime will amost certainly go up. New Orleans was a crime ridden violent sewer and now those people aer all in TX with no money, no jobs and nothing to do.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:49:23 PM EDT
[#8]

State troopers in Texas are pricks..  bottom line...

They think they are special...
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:20:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:00:42 AM EDT
[#10]
It goes up along with the liberal population, those two things go hand in hand.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:37:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It goes up along with the liberal population, those two things go hand in hand.

Yep. The crime rate is high in the Democrap districts of TX cities. I hear that we're selling a whole lot of Lottery tickets to the fools, err the evacuees.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:54:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm in Houston and yes - crime has already gone up.  Theft and auto break-ins have skyrocketed in the downtown area near the "refugee" areas.

I spoke to an HPD officer and he said that HPD has instructed them to not speak to the media about the crime increase.  

I will not be spending any time near downtown Houston for a loooooong time.

CMOS
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:56:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:29:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Texas Crime rate going up?  

Only until the imports learn "You can get shot for that shit in Texas!"  

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:39:02 AM EDT
[#15]
We have already had some issues with some of the welfare filth that Louisianna was kind enough to send us after WE were stupid enough to ask for them.

However, there have been many folks that have been thankful for our generosity also.  it is a shame that those weren't the only folks we got.

hearing that a bunch want to stay here, too....... just great.......
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:35:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Oh, wait.  Did you hear that?  That was the sound of the crime rate going through the roof here in Dallas.

Wheres your gun at?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top