Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2005 12:20:49 PM EDT
The Boston Globe
9/11/05
Sasha Talcott

BATON ROUGE, La. -- As fearful residents rush to stock up on guns, Wal-Mart, one of the region's biggest suppliers, abruptly stopped selling them at 40 stores scattered throughout the Gulf Coast.

-snip-

Wal-Mart's decision to stop gun sales also earned it praise from several customers, who said police would protect them from any trouble.

''Why can't we get along? This is a time of crisis," said Mike White of Kenner, La. He said people who need guns for legitimate reasons, such as hunting, would not be buying now.

(Excerpt) Read more here.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:22:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Surprise Surprise...

I think this whole situation has alerted many disbelievers that guns are not only for hunting.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:25:37 PM EDT
[#2]
This will be great news for the smaller dealers in the area...

Yeah they will pay maybe $20 more but they will be supporting people that will not leave them unarmed during a crisis.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:26:43 PM EDT
[#3]
"....... One mother came in to buy her first gun after she and her two children, ages 9 and 12, witnessed a slaying on the streets of New Orleans, said Scott Roe, Spillway's owner.

''Her comment was, 'I was a card-carrying, antigun liberal -- not anymore,' " Roe said. ''She said, 'I'm going back home, and I am not going back unarmed.' "

Wasn't it Goldwater who said if you are young and not a liberal you have no heart- if you are old and are a liberal you have no brain. Seems like she just got a heaping portion of brains.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:27:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Wal-Mart's decision to stop gun sales also earned it praise from several customers, who said police would protect them from any trouble.

(Excerpt) Read more here.

Fuck'n sheeple....
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Gee.  China-mart is run by Communists?  What a surprise
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:30:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I already avoid Wally World for anything but commodity items.

This is a darn good reason to avoid them altogether!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:35:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Wasn't it Goldwater who said if you are young and not a liberal you have no heart- if you are old and are a liberal you have no brain. Seems like she just got a heaping portion of brains.

Churchill has been credited with saying that, but no one can find record of it.

Eddie
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:38:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Eddie

Do you mean to say this could be another load of internet BS? Well, it has a nice ring to it.

And the babe DID wise up!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:47:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Yeah they will pay maybe $20 more but they will be supporting people that will not leave them unarmed during a crisis.

Wal Mart at least in my area will not sell handguns any hicap rifles other than mini 14s and 870s or 500/590s in short barrel are rare.  Here WM is not a defense weapon option so it has always been a dealers market for defense weapons.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:53:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Eddie

Do you mean to say this could be another load of internet BS? Well, it has a nice ring to it.

And the babe DID wise up!

"If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart.  If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain." There is no record of anyone hearing Churchill say this. Paul Addison of Edinburgh University makes this comment: "Surely Churchill can't have used the words attributed to him. He'd been a Conservative at 15 and a Liberal at 35!  And would he have talked so disrespectfully of Clemmie, who is generally thought to have been a lifelong Liberal?"

Thats what i found
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:04:41 PM EDT
[#11]
When the SHTF it's never a good time to decide to buy a gun or ammo. Words to live by.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:14:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
When the SHTF it's never a good time to decide to buy a gun or ammo. Words to live by.

+1
thats the truth.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Walmart in Meridian, MS no longer has its firearms on display. They do still sell ammo though.

What a bunch of fucking sheeple.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:28:58 PM EDT
[#14]
(snip) who said police would protect them from any trouble. (snip)

People are unbelievable!

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:29:03 PM EDT
[#15]
stock up!

right after karina, the local wally world here stopped selling ALL ammo but 12ga birdshot for quail season
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:31:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Mike White of Kenner, La. He said people who need guns for legitimate reasons, such as hunting, would not be buying now.

Ahh, yes.  Defending yourself and your family from raping looting murdering thugs is NOT a legitimate reason.

I swear, I think about how people like this douchebag think and I get a cold shudder up my spine.  WTF is wrong with some people?  How do they look themselves in the mirror when all they do is bleat, baa, and live their lives sucking on someone elses teat for their protection and sustinance?  How can people live thinking that actually taking care of you and yours is somehow "not legitimate"?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:39:48 PM EDT
[#17]
What normal gun-nut buys guns at Walmart?  Go to a real gun store to buy guns.  Go to Walmart for their cheap value pack ammo.  Now if it was ammo sales halted... I'd be worried.  

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:43:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wal Mart at least in my area will not sell handguns any hicap rifles other than mini 14s and 870s or 500/590s in short barrel are rare.  Here WM is not a defense weapon option so it has always been a dealers market for defense weapons.

Been a good long time since I've even walked into a wally world. Can't stand the place.

I would imagine that quite a few Mini-14s and 870s are being sold in your neck of the woods. If Wally World wants to “corporate policy” themselves out of the market *shrug* so much the better.

Hell, I’ve debated buying about a 50 New England Arms Pardner shotties and about 20 cases of buckshot... Just in case something like this comes up around here.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:44:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Whadya bet Remmington & Mossberg have banner sales for the next 2mos...

(For some reason, when most non-gun people think 'home defense' they think 'big shotgun')
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:44:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
What normal gun-nut buys guns at Walmart?  Go to a real gun store to buy guns.  Go to Walmart for their cheap value pack ammo.  Now if it was ammo sales halted... I'd be worried.  

You've been here since 2000 and you aren't an AMMO WHORE yet?

I call alert.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:50:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

The normal gun nuts had no need to go to Wallyworld.  They were already well armed.

At least by being forced into going to smaller gun stores, people will be steered into better defensive guns.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:55:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Whadya bet Remmington & Mossberg have banner sales for the next 2mos...

(For some reason, when most non-gun people think 'home defense' they think 'big shotgun')

That's because working the action of a pump will made badguys crap themselves, and anyone whose pants are still clean will be blown in half when shot.  And you wouldn't even have to aim, just point it in their general direction when pulling the trigger.  The movie told me so.

They might as well get the shotgun, though.  It's much simpler to operate than a semiautomatic rifle (and they will get the pump because that's what's on the screen), and they'll have to learn to use it fast..
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:01:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
What normal gun-nut buys guns at Walmart?

It was a Marlin 336. It was beautiful - compact, powerful, well-made, politically inoffensive and easy to find ammo for. It was priced right. It wanted me to take it home. I obliged, and I'd do it again!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:02:53 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The normal gun nuts had no need to go to Wallyworld.  They were already well armed.

At least by being forced into going to smaller gun stores, people will be steered into better defensive guns.  

You missed the thread about "Dumbest things you ever heard in a gunshop"? Not disagreeing about Wallyworld, but size isn't a guarantee sometimes. It was a very funny, LONG, thread.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top