Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2005 11:51:02 AM EDT
Hopefully this won't end up in the Pit but with some threadcrappers I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm not here to debate whether abortion is right or wrong. Personally I feel it's wrong, but that's not the issue.

My question is about rape and abortion. If a female is raped, is it wrong to take an emergency contraceptive or morning-after pill? Under normal circumstances I would say that such a morning-after pill is wrong in that contraception should have taken place BEFORE intercourse. However, in the case of being raped, such an option is obviously not possible.

Your thoughts?

PLEASE try to keep this from turning into a piss fest.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#1]
No, no pill period. She should have been educated enough to have a concealed weapon permit and gun on her at all times.

J/K

I agree with you on the raping/pill situation, but otherwise, without a police report of raping and possibly a CLEO signoff (Class III abortions ), I don't think abortions should be performed.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:54:50 AM EDT
[#2]
It's really a cut and dry issue if you believe that life begins at conception.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:56:32 AM EDT
[#3]
sigh
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

So if a person is raped they shouldn't be allowed to have an abortion?

You're right...that does seem to be a cut and dry issue.

However, I'd imagine it'd be EXTREMELY emotional painful for a female to have to carry that burden, especially if they weren't planning on a child.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:57:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Are you saying taking emergency contraception the day after a woman is raped is the same as having an abortion?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:58:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Are you saying taking emergency contraception the day after a woman is raped is the same as having an abortion?

I'm not saying anything. I'm asking.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:58:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Study up on how the regular pill works, you might be surprised to find out it is like having an abortion with the help of a pill each month.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:59:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm pro-choice and I don't see how a rape changes the equation regardless of your stance.

If you believe the rights of a fetus trump the rights of the mother, how does that change if the fetus is the result of rape?

If you believe a fetus has a right to life, you should be against abortion in cases of rape.  Period.

Any other stance is morally inconsistent.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:59:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

However, I'd imagine it'd be EXTREMELY emotional painful for a female to have to carry that burden, especially if they weren't planning on a child.

I think the point is that IF you believe it is murder, having been raped doesn't give a "get-out-of-jail-free" card to committ murder.  

I don't agree with the premise, but I do agree with the logic :  IF you accept that it is a human life (and a person/child) AT CONCEPTION, then you should do everything in your power to prevent conception following a rape, but once the conception has taken place - it would be murder.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:59:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

If "life begins at conception", then one could argue yes.

*sigh* I'm getting my popcorn out for this shit.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:01:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think the point is that IF you believe it is murder, having been raped doesn't give a "get-out-of-jail-free" card to committ murder.  

I don't agree with the premise, but I do agree with the logic :  IF you accept that it is a human life (and a person/child) AT CONCEPTION, then you should do everything in your power to prevent conception following a rape, but once the conception has taken place - it would be murder.

yup, I have no respect for pro-lifers who give wiggle room if a woman is raped.   If life is sacred, it is always sacred.  It is hardly the fetus's fault that its mother was raped.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:03:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If "life begins at conception", then one could argue yes.

*sigh* I'm getting my popcorn out for this shit.

You might want the extra large bucket.

I'm gonna go find a nice thread in the technical forums and get out of this now.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:04:00 PM EDT
[#13]

yup, I have no respect for pro-lifers who give wiggle room if a woman is raped. If life is sacred, it is always sacred. It is hardly the fetus's fault that its mother was raped.

So true, you either are for killing a life or saving a life. It is not the child's fault mom was raped, why kill the child? The child did nothing wrong.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:04:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

If life begins at conception, and conception usually takes place in the fallopian tubes, then creating a hostile environment in the uterus by using a drug, ie. causing the uterine lining to slough off, is still abortion.

I am only answering your question.  I cannot fathom the horror of rape.  Shouldn't a woman who is raped be allowed to take a 'Morning After' pill?  Do two wrongs make a right?  I don't know.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:45:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Tag... and getting the popcorn out.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:47:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Study up on how the regular pill works, you might be surprised to find out it is like having an abortion with the help of a pill each month.

I've posted it like 3 times on this board...
Nice to know SOMEONE was reading.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:49:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What DK said - except that, yes, I believe that life begins at conception - so I hold the premise to be valid - abortion is nothing but murder, regardless of the circumstances, including rape.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:49:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I know a lady who has had several abortions. That's right, several. There's no excuse for that. She's a murderer. The state has taken away every one of the children that she's carried and delivered.  This all infuriates me.

If I, for example, was raped, I'd immediately take emergency contraception. If I got pregnant after a rape, I'd lose my internship (I'm under a probationary period for a year), I don't have family in my new city, and I'd be scared and alone. I'm not financially or emotionally ready to have a child yet of even my own volition, let alone that of a rapist.

I don't think I'd have an issue with emergency contraception, but doing nothing, discovering I'm pregnant, and then having to consider formal medical or surgical abortion would be a very difficult decision to make.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:52:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Successful conception generally doesn't occur for about 12-14 hours post-intercourse (and that's at the VERY soonest, it could be up to 2-3 days later even) so, IMO taking the morning-after pill a few hours after the rape is not the same as abortion because there is not even a conceptus yet, i.e. the oocyte and sperm have not even joined yet (and won't if the procedure is done soon enough).

BTW... I AM in favor of abortion in the case of rape.
Abort the rapist.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:01:33 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did reading up on this when I learned about the pharmacist in Ohio who refused to fill 'birth control' pills and had his lic. yanked for doing so. He is against the murdering of babies, so he couldn't go on selling them any more and he explained how the pills really work...and at the end of the day, it is the morning after pill, yet woman just get to take them every day.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:11:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I like what Alan Keyes said once about the issue of rape and abortion..."Why punish the child with the death penalty for the crime of the father"...not an exact quote but you get the picture...
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:19:51 PM EDT
[#22]
There are situations for abortion.  Go read a FOX- post and I'm sure you'll think of a few.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:59:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I believe if my wife or daughter were raped, and became pregnant as a result of said rape, I would not only be in favor of an abortion, I would encourage it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:18:46 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did reading up on this when I learned about the pharmacist in Ohio who refused to fill 'birth control' pills and had his lic. yanked for doing so. He is against the murdering of babies, so he couldn't go on selling them any more and he explained how the pills really work...and at the end of the day, it is the morning after pill, yet woman just get to take them every day.

If she "gets" to take them...there's a man who is <cough> *allowing* <cough> her to do so.

FTR: Same thing just happened 2 weeks ago in RI and the pharmacist was NOT reprimanded.
Sorry, but if a doc prescribes meds, the patient should be able to get them regardless of the pharmacists personal feelings about them.
There *are* other lines of work, ya know...
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:21:38 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

define life...

a clump of cells, or a thinking, breathing, human.

thats where facts mixes with "beliefs"

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:21:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If she "gets" to take them...there's a man who is <cough> *allowing* <cough> her to do so.

FTR: Same thing just happened 2 weeks ago in RI and the pharmacist was NOT reprimanded.
Sorry, but if a doc prescribes meds, the patient should be able to get them regardless of the pharmacists personal feelings about them.

So people with morals shouldn't be allowed to be pharmacists?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:23:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:24:54 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

he not his job to judge.. thats "your" gods job... there are MANY medical reasons to take the pill, that has nothing to do with birth control.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:26:41 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

People with morals SHOULD be pharmacists. However, people who believe their morals or beliefs supercede the patients' right to health care should be in construction.

Hows about that Beer Slayer? Did I behave?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:27:18 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

he not his job to judge.. thats "your" gods job... there are MANY medical reasons to take the pill, that has nothing to do with birth control.

Grammar-check, please.....
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:28:40 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

People with morals SHOULD be pharmacists. However, people who believe their morals or beliefs supercede the patients' right to health care should be in construction.

Health care?

Lady, we're talking about MURDER here.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:30:04 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Health care?

Thanks for taking part in hijacking the thread.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:30:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Though deadset against therapeutic abortion, I have no problems with emergency contraception. They are not the same IMO.

As for rape, I do consider that reason to allow abortion.
To force a woman to carry and bear the child of someone who has violated her more than anyone else ever will is inhumane and abortion even in this case is justified. It is the lesser of 2 evils by far.

Further, who wants the spawn of these degenerate scum walking the Earth? Not me.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:31:38 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

define life...

a clump of cells, or a thinking, breathing, human.

thats where facts mixes with "beliefs"

The property or quality that distinguishes living organisms from dead organisms and inanimate matter, manifested in functions such as metabolism, growth, reproduction, and response to stimuli or adaptation to the environment originating from within the organism

Its not just a belief.  Life does not necessarily equate to a fully functional human being.  The fact that your "clump of cells" is feeding and growing means that it is alive
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:31:53 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Health care?

In deference to YOU Roboman, I shall not answer arowner in this thread
My Apologies...was not my intent to hijack.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:32:29 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm surprised Ashcroft didn't push for legislation to outlaw whacking off. Afterall sperm cells die when you whack off.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:33:04 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is ARFCOM where facts often get in the way.

If men were capable of becoming pregnant there would be free "morning after pills" available in every vending machine in the U.S.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:33:37 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Successful conception generally doesn't occur for about 12-14 hours post-intercourse (and that's at the VERY soonest, it could be up to 2-3 days later even) so, IMO taking the morning-after pill a few hours after the rape is not the same as abortion because there is not even a conceptus yet, i.e. the oocyte and sperm have not even joined yet (and won't if the procedure is done soon enough).

BTW... I AM in favor of abortion in the case of rape.
Abort the rapist.

+1
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Health care?

*snort*

did you read his first post?

He started the thread knowing full well what it would turn into.

Do you not see the contradiction between the second and fifth sentences in his original post?

Roboman just likes to pick at me every chance he gets because he's a God-hater. Nothing new there.

Mods, move it to the pit if it makes you happy - roboman has accomplished his objective. I'm through.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:36:42 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is ARFCOM where facts often get in the way.

If men were capable of becoming pregnant there would be free "morning after pills" available in every vending machine in the U.S.

HIJACK ALERT...AND IT'S TOO BAD THIS TIME!
RK? This one's for you!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:43:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:47:47 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Health care?

*snort*

did you read his first post?

He started the thread knowing full well what it would turn into.

Do you not see the contradiction between the second and fifth sentences in his original post?

Roboman just likes to pick at me every chance he gets because he's a God-hater. Nothing new there.

Mods, move it to the pit if it makes you happy - roboman has accomplished his objective. I'm through.

Well, since the thread has officially been declared hijacked, I'll respond to this.

There was no reason for this thread to end up like it did. Don't try to wash your hands of hijacking this thing.

I pick at you every chance I get because I think you're a fucking moron, not because I hate "god".
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:48:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Let's see:

Person A rapes Person B

so, Person B kills Person C

does that make any sense?

Kill the rapist, not the innocent.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:49:49 PM EDT
[#44]

*yawn*

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:52:24 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Well, since the thread has officially been declared hijacked, I'll respond to this.

There was no reason for this thread to end up like it did. Don't try to wash your hands of hijacking this thing.

I pick at you every chance I get because I think you're a fucking moron, not because I hate "god".

Well...in truth Roboman, you asked is it wrong to dispense RU-486 in the case of rape...some say yea some say nay...we were merely taking this thread in the logical direction of the reasons why we voted yea or nay...and in effect not hijacking, but discussing the reasons behind the opinion YOU ASKED FOR...which is what this place is for.
The really only true hijack was my "kissing" of RK which I shall NOT apologize for: I enjoyed it
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#46]
They should be allowed. They had no control over. Imagine how the kid would feel about his father when he grew up. But I think it would come down to is if the woman beleives in abortion or not. If she beleives in it then she can take the morning after pills. If she doesnt then she will have the baby and take care of it, shell look at is some good that came out of a tragic event. Leave it up to the woman, the government have no right to decide when its a rape.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:55:20 PM EDT
[#47]
personal attacks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top