Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2001 8:55:34 PM EDT
I have heard both sides of the story. I have heard that .50 cal SLAP ammo won't damage the muzzle break, and I have heard just the opposite.  What's the truth? Anyone out there have any experience shooting this ammo through commercially availible rifles?

I heard that Barrett designed a special barrel and muzzle break to safely shoot this ammo.  It is supposed to be availible to military and law enforcement only.  Is this true?

Link Posted: 7/20/2001 9:08:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know. But I've always wanted to see somebody put a 5.56mm to 7.62mm sabot inside a 7.62mm to 50 cal sabot and shoot it through a chronograph. :-)
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 9:09:46 PM EDT
[#2]
It won't damage the brake, but you or the shooters next to you may get pieces of the sabot stuck in your faces. Shoot it only with brakes that have a bunch of of small holes instead of a couple big ones.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 9:15:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I don't know. But I've always wanted to see somebody put a 5.56mm to 7.62mm sabot inside a 7.62mm to 50 cal sabot and shoot it through a chronograph. :-)
View Quote

bullet would probly dissentergrate from the velocity
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 9:25:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks mad matt,

I kind of figured this was the case.  It makes sense.  I couldn't imagine how a plastic sabot could catastrophically damage a steel muzzle brake.  It sounds like a simple case of the shooter wearing good eye protection and keeping others away when firing.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 9:34:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

bullet would probly dissentergrate from the velocity
View Quote

You don't know what yer talking about.

The bullet would be going so fast it would approach the speed of light, go back in time and end up back in the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 9:43:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks mad matt,

I kind of figured this was the case.  It makes sense.  I couldn't imagine how a plastic sabot could catastrophically damage a steel muzzle brake.  It sounds like a simple case of the shooter wearing good eye protection and keeping others away when firing.
View Quote

I'd still worry about shooting them though a standard Barrett brake. I would think a brake like this would be OK [url] http://www.edmarms.com/ [/url] But brakes on many of the .50cals out there look like most or all or most of the sabot could pass through them and potentially cause some serious injury, safety glasses or not.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 10:04:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I've seen the SLAP round fired from a standard M82A1A SASR, as used by a Marine during a demonstration in Quantico. If your brake is the same then I don't see why not. Then again, I know little about 50's.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 2:20:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks mad matt,

View Quote

[b]You better be able to imagine it![/b]  Usually the rule of thumb is sabots are a no-no in tank type brakes and brakes over 2" long.  Velocity does some weird shit and brakes have been torn up by plastic sabots.  

[url]www.biggerhammer.net/barrett/wwwboard/[/url]  
They will have your answer, the correct one.

I have never been interested in shooting sabots, do not want to feed you a line of bull.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top