Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/11/2005 9:39:12 AM EDT
DO you remember where you were when you heard about the planes crashing into the world trade center?
I was in the tool room at my shop at camp lejeune, when 2 guys from my platoon came in and said "Did you hear about the plane crashing into the world trade center?" We turned the radio on to listen to it and in less than 2 minutes we heard "Oh my god a second plane just crashed into the other tower" I knew from that second that it was an attack, I was just glad that it stopped that day. We were sent back to our barraks/ houses to get our "Deployment load" didnt know if we were gonna fight a war on our own turf or not......Seems like it was yesterday.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:42:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Up in Prudhoe Bay, getting some coffee in the rec room and getting ready for work.  I heard the tv news people stammering and saying "Um" a lot, so I knew something big was happening live.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:46:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I was in a class at Motorola in Chicago... guy next to me worked for Newark NJ and he was on a contact list for emergencies and he got a call right after the first tower was hit.... we watched the rest from the auditorium...  I worked for UAL at the time and it was hard to believe it was all happening.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:46:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I was just getting out of the shower, getting ready to go to work....when I saw the tv I thought it was an action movie. At the time I had no car, which meant my dad was my ride to work,when I saw him just sitting there I politly told him to turn that crap off and get ready. Then he politly told me that it was actually happening live.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:51:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I was woke up by my friend. He called and just strated yelling that some f**kers hit us and hit us good.
I turned on the TV just in time to see the second aircraft hit. I was amazed and pissed.

Later that day I had to go to work and helped gaurd aircraft sitting at the terminal gates. There were two F-16s, loaded up with four sidewinders apieceflying low and around the airport. A couple AA 57's took off headed for New York and I rememeber hoping the F-16s didn't shoot them down on accident.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:55:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I was a sophomore and first heard about it when I was between biology and English.  Couldn't believe it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:57:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I was at home answering emial.  My husband called and told me to turn the set on.  I did and saw the 2nd plane hit live.  At the time I was really upset that a dog of mine got riffed at a trial I was at the week end before.  I had been fuming over it for days.  Suddenly it seemed rather stupid and insignificant.

It got to a point though I had to turn off the TV.  I couldn't handle the suffering anymore.

Patty
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:59:44 AM EDT
[#7]
We had moved into a new house just three weeks prior.  I awoke that morning a little before six, stumbled downstairs, and sitting amonst unpacked boxes in our back room, turned on the TV and minutes later watched the second plane fly into the WTC.

A morning I'm never likely to forget...
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:03:00 AM EDT
[#8]
On-duty at an east coast intelligence command communications center.

Things got a bit hectic very quickly.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:03:30 AM EDT
[#9]
At work.  One of the machine shop guys had a little TV in place of a toolbox drawer.  He and some other guys were standing around watching the news coverage.  I stopped by just in time to see the second plane hit.  HOLY SH!T!!  Went back and told the office staff what was going on.  We got a TV from the Training Dept. and set it up in the conference room.  Called my GF and told her to get to a TV.

Alan Jackson said it best: "where were you when the world stopped turning... on that September day?"
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:04:06 AM EDT
[#10]
At work on a construction site when I noticed a bunch of guys standing around a radio..
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:06:15 AM EDT
[#11]
just waking up in my dorm room just a few seconds after the first plane hit, flipped the tv on just in time to watch the second plane impact the tower
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:07:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I had an appointment with a customer (an Edward Jones broker), in his office. The first plane had already hit as I was driving to his office, so by the time I got there we just sat and watched the events unfold for about two hours. I'm old enough to remember where I was when JFK was assassinated (home sick from school, as a 6th grader), and now as an adult this memory will be even more vivid.

I'm real clear on who did it, and what needs to be done with those responsible for those acts of war.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:09:10 AM EDT
[#13]
At home watching the news.

<-- Image Removed Check your IM --> -- brass
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:09:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I was sound asleep in bed after working all night and didn't find out about the attacks until around noon that day... My train passes the Pentagon and on the return trip home that night smoke was still pouring out from the building blowing across the tracks towards Regan Airport     sorry fucking bastards, may they all burn in hell
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:10:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:18:35 AM EDT
[#16]
In school during second period, history class, when the headmaster made the anouncement then school was closed down.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:33:06 AM EDT
[#17]
At home, asleep (I work nights). A friend called and woke me up, telling me about the plane that hit the WTC, so I turned on the idiot box. I called my mother in Los Angeles, and woke HER up. As we both watched it all, we discussed what was going to happen.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:39:36 AM EDT
[#18]
3rd period.  AP Physics.  I thought it was some kind of movie when i walked in and saw the TV.  That changed rather quickly.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:42:10 AM EDT
[#19]
... Getting ready for work, saw the second plane hit and my jaw just dropped

... Went on to work, but about 1/2 the company took off for the rest of the day
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:55:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Had just gotten off duty at the FD, when one of my shift mates called me and told me "some f*cko had just flown a plane into the WTC".

I asked how big a plane... he wasn't sure.

I turned on the TV just in time to see #2 get hit. He suggested that maybe the pilot was distracted by the smoke & fire. I called bs on it.

Then my other buddy (IcantellyoubutI'dhavetokillyou type) called and said that the Pentagon had been hit, and they were scrambling DC.

Called the Wife.. she'd just heard about NY. Told here it wasn't an accident.

She left work (along with several others), despite their manager telling them "It's only a NYC problem" .

She told him as she left "Try and find one person in this office that didn't have family or friends that were involved somehow. My husband might be leaving to go to NYC and I don't know when I'll see him again. I'm going home."

Called the station to ask if we were being recalled <smart ass description of ingorant answer  by a superior removed>

Filled the tub and loaded the boat anchors. Put new filters in the masks. Said a prayer.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:05:11 AM EDT
[#21]
The Pentagon - 1D24X.  I had friends in the PTC that felt a slight tremor but didn't know an aircraft had struck the building until 10 minutes later.

I salute the victims and the heroes of that tragic day.

CWO
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:24:32 AM EDT
[#22]
In my apartment in Jakarta.  It was late in the evening there.  I was duty communicator and had to go in for the flash traffic.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:38:56 AM EDT
[#23]
At work, heard about the 1st plane hitting the tower.

Heard about the 2nd tower, knew it was terrorism.

They evacuated our building, 55 stories, Bank of America Plaza down from The Fox.

I bugged out, people on the sidewalks were moving briskly too.

Drove out of Atlanta, overhead signs read "National Emergency...Airport Closed...."

Got home, wife did not have the TV or radio on and knew nothing about it.  

I could not even describe what happened, told her her parents are OK, just turned on the TV and told her to watch.

I was stunned, they were the first images I had seen.  

I take it very personally, they killed my countrymen.  

Later we found out that Atta & Co. had chartered a small airplane about 3 miles from my house, flew around for more than 2 hours.  Atta also had a membership at a gym about 3 miles from my home too.

No one will say where they flew in the Atlanta area or where they stayed in my area, NE of Atlanta.

It could have been me.

They will never make me change the way I live, but I will be prepared.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#24]
At the supermarket getting a snack during work. I didnt really notice anything was wrong till I got back to work and everyone was huddled in the customer waiting room watching the TV.

A little bit later you could see the smoke rising from the Pentagon which is a about 1-1/2 miles from work.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:06:07 PM EDT
[#25]
I awoke and turned on the news, to find speculation as to what kind of aircraft had struck the north tower.  I saw the second aircraft impact live.  I called the Princess at work, she had no idea of what had happened.  Told her to get to a radio.

When the Pentagon was hit, I called again and told her to get SBK and bring themselves home, she works in a small city with a sizable military installation.  

I felt like I'd been kicked in the guts.  I don't take kindly to being kicked in the guts.

It's STILL payback time.

Ops
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:14:26 PM EDT
[#26]
I was in my 2nd period JROTC class in 10th grade.

We were practicing some drilling and a cadet from staff came in a panic yelling that we were under attack.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:24:23 PM EDT
[#27]
I was sleeping when the first plane hit.  My wife called me from work right after that and woke me up
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:27:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Adak Alaska, couldn't sleep for some reason and got up at 3AM and turned on the TV. I was stuck out there with 40 other SF types some of which I thought were going to swim 1300 miles to get to an airport. Never Forget!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:29:10 PM EDT
[#29]
I was watching it unfold on TV all morning and still have 6 video tapes of coverage.   I flew out of Dulles the day before but my wife and two kids stayed in DC and were actually on the subway headed for the White House when the Pentagon took its hit.  Their original plans were to be NYC on tuesday morn but her father nixed that idea.  Later on that day I went out and purchased another AK..........
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:31:29 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was woke up by my friend. He called and just strated yelling that some f**kers hit us and hit us good.
I turned on the TV just in time to see the second aircraft hit. I was amazed and pissed.

That was the only day I actually watched TV contunally in my life.

Same here on both posts: my (then) four year old was watching Barney, Hubby was in the yard and I was getting my 4 year old's snack for pre-school together. My friend called and barked for me to put on a news channel...seconds after I asked, "Is this a movie???" the second plane hit. I was 5 1/2 months pregnant with my second...we watched the news ALL day and ALL nite and I spent the day weeping uncontrollably.
I am NOT a woman who cries.
God rest the souls of those who perished 9/11/2001 and may we never forget...nor forgive.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:35:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Sitting at home watching it on the tube.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:46:46 PM EDT
[#33]
archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=245484

That morning, I was at home working on my research proposal for grad school. My roomates siter calls and tells me that something had happened in NYC, and it was live on CNN. So I turn on the TV, and whatever channel I was on, they too were showing the live footage. eventually I flipped to CNN, and the next two hours were a blur. I remember the second tower falling. I remember calling my sister, to ensure that a mutual friend of ours (who was at the towers a coupla days erlier) had made it home. I remember calling my father, and telling him to drop what he was doing and find a TV. I remember hearing that a plane had went down in rural PA, and wondering what events transpired to cause that hijacked plane to crash. Later we learned that some on that flight were faced with some cold realities and hard decisions, and made a decision that probably saved untold lives on the ground.

About dinner, it occurred to me that a good friend had a mother that worked at the GSA building across from the pentagon. I went to her house; she hadn't been able to get in touch with her mother, and was hysterical. I basically acted as a punching bag/shoulder to cry on for her, until finally she was contacted by someone who had been able to get through to her mom. On the way home, later, I remember seing traffic gridlock as everyone tried to fill up with gas. The next morning, I was the only customer as I filled my own tank.

2 days later, I went on an out-of-state trip; many people cancelled the trip but the group I was with decided we were going; to not go was to let the bad guy win. That night, as a group of people from several states sat in the hotel lounge, the conversation turned to the list of countries willing to let us use their airspace on our way to afghanistan. I remember being thankful that Bush was in office instead of Gore.

Posted :: 5/23/2004 4:51:22 PM

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:49:07 PM EDT
[#34]
I was sleeping over Gf at the times house. We were sleeping when she got a call from her Mom that her Dad was just in a bad wreck.

We got up, she was on her way to the hospital, and I was off to pay her cell phone bill. i got in the truck and it was on the radio. I thought it was a skit or the russians are coming type joke.

When I got to cell-one they had it on there as the second plane hit.

I saw the rest from home.    
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:49:11 PM EDT
[#35]
I was in my 4th period language arts class, the teachers in the previos classes made no mention of it, although they acted a little strange, I figured somthing had happened. My 4th period teacher turned on the tv at 10:12, the news was showing the second plane hit. It was just too unreal, as someone else said, it looked like a movie. I pretty much sat through the period in shock, I dont think I said more than a few words to one of my friends. My pre-algebra teacher gave a good speech and explanation to us, I dont remember much only that this will change the world in a huge way, and also the tension in his voice. We spent the rest of the day watching the news.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:09:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Was bringing my daughter to the dentist, locked myself out of the house, had to borrow a ladder from a neighbor to break back in, and then got in the car and heard about what we had thought at the time was a crash over the radio heard about the second one at the dentists office .  Was glued to the news for the rest of the day and trying to make excuses to my at the time 3 year old why daddy was crying, saying it was allergies etc.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:15:01 PM EDT
[#37]
I just started working at the American Airlines Corp Headquarters building...
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:17:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Senior in high school at the time.

Heard about the first plane... teacher wheeled in a TV and turned it on... we just sat there for the next few minutes before class change watching it.

En route to the next class, no one was talking much... they just wanted information.

Two minutes later, I had an english test in front of me but was unable to concentrate.  The teacher realized nothing was going to get accomplished so she turned the TV on.  We were watching CNN.  We watched the second plane hit... one kid damn near had a fit, as best I can tell.

A few hours later some volunteer firemen I know (some as young as 17) were gearing up and getting ready to rock n' roll over to NYC.  Grief was turned to anger very quickly.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:19:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:20:04 PM EDT
[#40]
I was standing in the lobby of the Hermosillo, Mexico Ford manufacturing facility with my boss, the salesman for our company, and a rep from U.S. Motors.  We'd left at o'dark-thirty to drive down for a morning meeting with one of the head honchos there.

When we arrived in the lobby and signed in, one of the guards asked us, "You're Americans, right?  Do you know what's going on?  They're flying airplanes into buildings!  The border is closed!"  He brought us printouts from CNN and Yahoo with pictures of the towers on fire.  Our meeting, understandably, was cancelled, and we headed North for the border.  All the way we kept trying to pick up news on the radio.  Thats where we heard about the towers falling down.

By the time we got back to the border, it was open again, and we headed home.

My wife heard about the first impact on the radio on her way home from work.  She saw the second plane strike the tower on TV.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:33:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Does anyone have any of Balzac72's old pictures they could post?

I'd like to see those again.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:50:24 PM EDT
[#42]
I was at home, coming in to work.  I don't watch the news in the morning, but I did listen to the radio.  I live about a 10 minutes from work.  I got in the truck and started in.  Had the radio on, and after a few minutes I realized it was some sort of news cast, so I hit the preset button to make sure I was on the same radio station I usually listen to.  Yep, it was right.  I hit one of the other stations, and it seemed like another news event, so I went back to the first.  

They were talking about something about the pentagon.  By the time I got into the work parking lot, I had gleaned that there was a plane crash near the pentagon or something.  I came in, and it was hazy what was going on.  It was VERY slow at work.  One guy down the row from me had a TV antenna and a tuner on his computer, and he had managed to tune into Fox News.  Then I saw it... the second plane hitting the second tower.  I couldn't believe it.  What was I seeing??   The manager on duty got a TV from one of the training rooms, and we rigged up an antenna and were able to tune into fox news... we were seeing the video.. the fire and smoke.. people running...  They replayed the second plane striking... It was unreal.... then the towers collapsed.   I'm tearing up writing this... it was just so surreal...

I got home that night and watched the news for hours... I went to bed thinking I had watched some movie.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:53:38 PM EDT
[#43]
I was at work, talking on the phone with a client when I got the news.  The rest of the day was spent with everyone in the office having their eyes glued to the TV in the conference room.  

I remember hearing the roar of a jet engine outside of my office building and thinking "Oh my god....".  I looked out one of the windows to see an F-16 circling REAL low overhead.  Up to that time, I never thought I would have lived to see that during peacetime.

Needless to say, that day was a wake up call for me.

- PM
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:56:32 PM EDT
[#44]
In my office on the 42nd floor at Lexington Av & 51st St, the windows behind me facing downtown, me at my desk, facing the opposite direction as my phone rang about five minutes before 9am.  It was my brother (FDNY Paramedic) calling me from his car on the Belt Parkway (heading home after his normal tour) telling me that an airplane had struck the WTC, asking me what I could see from my window (I told him "not much spare for black smoke pouring out of the North Tower") and him telling me he was turning around heading back into the City to help.

I eventually marched out of the City across the 59th St Bridge with the smell of burning paper in the air.  Took the LIRR home from Hunterspoint Station knowing that no one in my family had heard from my brother since the morning.  Got home and found out by 5pm that my brother had survived.  He didn't make it down to the WTC until after the North Tower collapsed.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:58:56 PM EDT
[#45]
I got the call from My Future MIL early that morning. She was hysterical, all i could make out was DEAD!! TV!!!!!!! WATCH!!!!! NEWYORK!!!!!

It was a big WTF moment. I called my mother, she begged me not to go to work...

I worked for American Express, 1 mile from the local Airport, huge building with a huge sign.

As I was pulling on my socks..... The second tower was hit. At work we called every AMEX employee, at home, work, relatives houses. In the first 6 hours we knew we had lost 11 Amex and 4 Pitney Bowes employees.

I made a very hard decision in the next couple days. But it was that moment when it was really decided, watching the Plane hit...

April 14 2003 I joined the Army and married my wife.

It took me a while to get into fighting shape, I was a desk Jockey, a Chairborne ranger.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:01:11 PM EDT
[#46]
I was on my way to Operations for a compay called CIS  in Clearwater Fl.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:03:11 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
At work on a construction site when I noticed a bunch of guys standing around a radio..

That's exactly how it happened for me too.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:16:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Yup. 2001, was the worst year I'd had w/my MS (fortunately, I was figuring it out by September). So I was in bed (was bedridden earlier that year, and was a BIT better in Sept, but not "all better", and that was one of the "bad" days.) So, I was in bed, watching "ER", when they cut to the trade tower. At THAT time, they were claiming "accident" while I didn't KNOW it wasn't, I certainly didn't THINK that was the case. They said it was a SMALL (crop-dusting sort) of plane... any IDIOT could tell THAT wasn't the case!

Anyway, it wasn't too long after that when the second plane hit. I went through shock, disbelief, denial, sadness, in record time. Maybe 2-3 miinutes after the 2nd' plane hit, I was on "anger"... I'm STILL pretty pissed, actually. I'm trying to DVR and disk a LOT of different 9/11 programs the last week (doubly so today), so I'm a bit more "in touch" w/the anger than I am most days.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:26:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Asleep in Arlington, VA, about 2 miles from the Pentagon.  I'd just gotten off a 12 hour night shift at the Department of Justice in DC where I was working at the time.  Girlfriend called an woke me up, turned on the TV, "uh-oh, better get to work."  Pentagon got hit while I was in getting dressed.  I jumped in the car, put my Sig and my gas mask on the front seat and headed into DC.  Sat on the bridge for a while, watching the smoke from the Pentagon until I figured out that I could wave my badge out the window and cars would get out of the way.  I had my g/f walk down to 22nd Street, picked her up right on the other side of the bridge.  She worked right across the street from State and there was a story on the radio that a car bomb had gone off down there.  So I took her back to Ballston, told her to grab what she needed and get the fuck out of Dodge, jumped on the Metro and rode back into work.  Her car blew the main seal on the way to my folk's farm about an hour from DC, had to replace the whole engine.  

I was at work for about 20 hours.  I remember walking outside and looking down Pennsylvania Avenue about 5 pm that day.  I counted 16 other people that I could see and I was the only one without a long gun.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:35:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Asleep, didn't have class on tuesdays until something like 12 or 1pm. old roommate who had since moved to the next apartment building over pounded on my door just after the second plane hit. we sat and watched my tv for while
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top