Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2005 8:36:38 AM EDT
I saw some .308 and .223 blanks at a flee market today.  What could one use these blanks for?  Reloading maybe?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:37:19 AM EDT
[#1]
launch grenades.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:39:12 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
launch grenades.

thats about it. Unless you want to dirty up your rifle at 3times the rate that normal ammo would. IMO useless.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:41:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Foul the BBL? I did have a neighbor who would stick the bore of his rifle down woodchuck holes and blast off a few, and take hornet nests out, the concussion at the muzzle is pretty strong. I would not advise that unless you had a bunch of land like he did tho. He swore it would deafen the chucks and it was easier to shoot them, I always figured they saw you way before they heard you.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:41:46 AM EDT
[#4]
To shoot with a BFA for training or with MILES?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:44:14 AM EDT
[#5]
oh yeah, maybe for funerals too.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:50:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Foul the BBL? I did have a neighbor who would stick the bore of his rifle down woodchuck holes and blast off a few, and take hornet nests out, the concussion at the muzzle is pretty strong. I would not advise that unless you had a bunch of land like he did tho. He swore it would deafen the chucks and it was easier to shoot them, I always figured they saw you way before they heard you.

Blanks aren't very loud, though.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:04:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Do you play golf? Would you like to win one of those kickass "longest drive" prizes, but can never seem to hit the ball far enough? Well, my friend, along with some of those .223 blanks, here's your answer: lgweaponry.com/ad_sheets/gfa.htm
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:12:28 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Blanks aren't very loud, though.

If you take off the blank muzzle adapter  they are pretty loud. With it on they are not.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:19:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
oh yeah, maybe for funerals too.

Sadly, a too recent memory.
I have one of the spent .308 blank round cases from my Dad's funeral, April 30, 2005.

M/Gen G B Dettinger USAF MC Ret.
RIP pop, we miss you

DaddyDett
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:22:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:27:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Repackage them as "Detroit Ammo".

Shoot it in the air on New Years Day, the 4th of July,
[local sports team] win/loss.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:14:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Stick the blank into the chamber then stick a fired cartrige over the muzzle in the FH and send it sailing. A poor mans inert morter.

While playing OP4 waiting for the 'enemy' to attack we used to send them sailing on top of the attacking force when they set off the trip flares on the perimiter. No one got hurt since they were in battle gear. Made for a fun morning.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:15:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Start fires?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:21:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I use blanks against zombie ghosts.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:57:45 PM EDT
[#15]
When I lived in town I used shotgun shell blanks (homemade, although today at Sportsman's Whorehouse he
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:00:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Gun store near campus has two boxes of .38 Special blanks for $25 apiece.

I figure they'd be handy for making a student film about zombies or something.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:01:38 PM EDT
[#17]
They are great for shooting at Cajuns when on manuevers in Louisiana.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:02:27 PM EDT
[#18]
ive heard.........."that there fun to shoot at kids in iraq while on patrol"....................thats what i heard but dont recomend
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:03:07 PM EDT
[#19]
for shooting cigarettes.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:09:44 PM EDT
[#20]
.50 BMG blanks fired into an empty field will shut up the neighbor's %@#$#$ barkin' dogs

For awhile at least.......
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:13:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Ever hear about the solider at Ft. AP Hill who hunted & killed a Turkey with a blank and a cleaning rod? Didn't think so. He never told anyone
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:13:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Buddy told me they used to use them to shoot sections of cleaning rods at howler monkeys on their perimeter in Panama.  

I dunno, I've still got a couple hundred and a BFA somewhere.  I'll find a use for them one day.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:15:53 PM EDT
[#23]
New years eve here in Detroit?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:16:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Ever hear about the solider at Ft. AP Hill who hunted & killed a Turkey with a blank and a cleaning rod? Didn't think so. He never told anyone

Quoted:
Buddy told me they used to use them to shoot sections of cleaning rods at howler monkeys on their perimeter in Panama.

3 seconds apart.  I think we win-blanks are used to shoot cleaning rods at animals.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:31:26 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
.50 BMG blanks fired into an empty field will shut up the neighbor's %@#$#$ barkin' dogs

For awhile at least.......

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:32:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

MILES.....

BEEEEEEPP..

Who shot you?

No one, I didn't hear a shot... Did you? No, guess It just went off...

Hey, there's one...

BANG-BANG-BANG-BANG...

!%##!% won't die... Where's the 249?

[SAW guy] I'll get 'im....

BANGBANGBANGBANGBANGNBANGBANG...

Uh, he's still not beepin...

[OPFOR] BANG BEEEEEPPPP....

There's no WAY that hit me... He wasn't even aiming at me...

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:42:27 PM EDT
[#27]
i use swanson HOT blanks for reinactments. they are loud as heck. and the
barrel doesnt get any dirtier than with live rounds.
gi 223 blanks suck.
308 british blanks rock.
but the hot blanks are the best.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

MILES.....

BEEEEEEPP..

Who shot you?

No one, I didn't hear a shot... Did you? No, guess It just went off...

Hey, there's one...

BANG-BANG-BANG-BANG...

!%##!% won't die... Where's the 249?

[SAW guy] I'll get 'im....

BANGBANGBANGBANGBANGNBANGBANG...

Uh, he's still not beepin...

[OPFOR] BANG BEEEEEPPPP....

There's no WAY that hit me... He wasn't even aiming at me...

Sounds familiar.  Seems like the OPFOR guys always got more time to zero their gear than I did.  Really frustrating when you fire ten rounds at someone who's 25 yards away with no beep, and then start "quartering" them, shooting high right, high left, low left, low right....and still no beep.  Or ripping off a whole mag on full auto at a gunner in a Humvee who's ten yards away with his back turned and no beep.  But then you're peeping out the top of a hole and seeing absolutely nothing and suddenly start beeping without hearing a shot and the ump looks and you and shrugs, "Snipers."

I hear the new MILES gear is supposed to be much better.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:20:14 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
They are great for shooting at Cajuns when on maneuvers in Louisiana.

I was wondering if anyone else remembered that movie. First thing I think of when I hear "Louisiana National Guard".

Southern Comfort
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:15:46 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

3 seconds apart.  I think we win-blanks are used to shoot cleaning rods at animals.

I don't my brother used blanks when he was down there - I think they were asked to stop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top