Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2005 8:13:03 AM EDT
I have 2 different lot # containers of this powder and they are different colors.
The older one is dark grey and the new one is kind of pale green. They smell the same and both are extruded grains. Has the color of this powder changed?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:17:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you the original purchaser of the two cans?  Have they been in your possession since before they were opened, and have not been mixed up in any way?  

If all of the above is YES, then they probably changed something.  The formulation could probably change, as long as the burn rates and weight ratios stayed the same.  

On the other hand, if you're not SURE of the origin of the two containers you have, DO NOT USE ANY OF IT.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:21:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I purchased both containers  about 6 months ago. They were purchased from a well known dealer. Both were opened for the first time 2 days ago.

eta: the powder that is pale green is 2 1lb. containers. Both have the same lot#. the container that is dark grey was purchased a couple of years ago.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:28:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Why not CONTACT the manufacturer and simply ask?

I simply typed in www.hodgdon.com and found their main page, then clicked Contact Us.

[email protected]

913-362-9455

I am sure someone there will give you an answer.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:30:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I sent email and have had no response.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:37:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Why not CONTACT the manufacturer and simply ask?

I simply typed in www.hodgdon.com and found their main page, then clicked Contact Us.

[email protected]

913-362-9455

I am sure someone there will give you an answer.

+1
Try testing/crono  the two lots using the same load. Reduced charges of course.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:47:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I am going to burn small amounts of each to see if there is any difference in burn rate. Then I will load a few and test them. I don't have a crono.

This is what i love about living out of town. I can shoot in my yard.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:18:36 AM EDT
[#7]
DAVIDLF: Burning powder in the open air doesn't show you anything.  It needs to be in a close vessel, like an assembled cartiridge. That is how the powder manufacturers determine burning speed.

Hodgdon, is not a powder manufacturer. They are a blender of powder, i.e. they buy powders from vendors and blend together the powder to arrive the desired powder. They have many vendors from all over the world. The powder could be from a different vendor, but I bet they currently meet the spec for H4895 powder.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top